IGNORED

Can we stop singing the one about…

Hartleysbeard

Agree that it's not big or clever and has no place in the 21st Century (much less around children). If people are so enamoured with the tune I'm sure the lyrics could be changed, like they were for Bradley Orr.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Agree that it's not big or clever and has no place in the 21st Century (much less around children). If people are so enamoured with the tune I'm sure the lyrics could be changed, like they were for Bradley Orr.

Hate to say it, but it's the kids who are singing it.... ?

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

…(insert current Bristol Rovers manager name here) being a whore?  

This one gets wheeled out every week from the corner of the south stand and it’s an absolute embarrassment that has no place in football stadiums…or anywhere else in fact. It’s abhorrent. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of the more good humoured chants levelled at the opposition, but this goes too far for me. Have I sung inappropriate songs at football before? Yes. When I first started attending games as a teenager back in the early 90s I was influenced by what I heard around me and joined in. Do I regret that? Yes. But I was a product of what I was surrounded by…I didn’t know any better.

I now take my own son to watch City and whilst I accept there will be plenty of colourful language for him to hear, I make a point of talking loudly to him when chants like this are happening, in attempt to drown it out. I don’t want him to think it’s in any way acceptable to repeat that chant or think it’s ok to level that accusation, whether in jest or otherwise, at a woman. He is taught to respect women and he calls out misogynistic behaviour when he witnesses it. 

As a club with a successful women’s team and a large number of female supporters, isn’t it about time we stopped this chant? 

Does this mean that Vixens fans need to stop suggesting that the father of the opposing manager is, or was, a gigolo?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Hate to say it, but it's the kids who are singing it.... ?

And where did they get it from? I don't think they emerged from the womb with a latent desire to express their views about the sexual proclivities and moral character of the current Bristol Rovers manager's mother - much less express this over a dirgy chant.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hartleysbeard said:

This one gets wheeled out every week from the corner of the south stand and it’s an absolute embarrassment that has no place in football stadiums…or anywhere else in fact. It’s abhorrent. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of the more good humoured chants levelled at the opposition, but this goes too far for me. Have I sung inappropriate songs at football before? Yes. When I first started attending games as a teenager back in the early 90s I was influenced by what I heard around me and joined in. Do I regret that? Yes. But I was a product of what I was surrounded by…I didn’t know any better.

I now take my own son to watch City and whilst I accept there will be plenty of colourful language for him to hear, I make a point of talking loudly to him when chants like this are happening, in attempt to drown it out. I don’t want him to think it’s in any way acceptable to repeat that chant or think it’s ok to level that accusation, whether in jest or otherwise, at a woman. He is taught to respect women and he calls out misogynistic behaviour when he witnesses it. 

As a club with a successful women’s team and a large number of female supporters, isn’t it about time we stopped this chant? 

It aint clever but they got one about nige being a pedo ?

Im in S82 and the decent chants about gas ie ‘My old man said be a rovers fan…’ dont get sung enough as they are only really known to the older generation, not the 500 15 year olds that are in there! That tractor one is abysmal. I do like the chants where there is a tune to it, like scotts or dasilvas, especially when the whole section is bouncing.

• Like 3

Personally I couldn’t care less about the subject of songs, some of which have been around for 50 years. 

But brushing over that life has changed a bit, I would say the players need the encouragement and singing gets the crowd going too even if it’s Hymns. 

Maybe Jerusalem builded here in Bristol’s dark satanic mills. Etc etc 

Point is make an atmosphere and keep going, songs about Irene and her Gypsy mates are a bit old hat and don’t really make an atmosphere just remind us of why Horefield got its name!

1 minute ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Bollocks to that, I'll still join in when it's sung. It's a football match, deal with it.

No. I don’t accept that. I don’t have to deal with it. Are you saying all forms of discrimination are acceptable within the context of a football match or just casual sexism and misogyny? 

What an appalling statement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

The lads/ladies singing it now are a product of what they are surrounded by. Otherwise it wouldn't be sung.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me to expect teenagers of 2023 not to repeat your actions of 1990's (and my actions of the 2000's tbf) no matter how much society in general has changed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hartleysbeard said:

No. I don’t accept that. I don’t have to deal with it. Are you saying all forms of discrimination are acceptable within the context of a football match or just casual sexism and misogyny? 

Dont think he quite meant it in that way mate. Bit extreme

• Like 1

You don't have to deal with it no.

But at a football match the chances of being exposed to singing/chanting of that nature is very high.

So if you really didn't want to deal with it the best course of action would be to not go. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

No one really believes that the current Rovers manager is a prostitute, it's a football chant.

I respect your right to be offended and over sensitive, but I will join in the song.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

The lads/ladies singing it now are a product of what they are surrounded by. Otherwise it wouldn't be sung.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me to expect teenagers of 2023 not to repeat your actions of 1990's (and my actions of the 2000's tbf) no matter how much society in general has changed.

It’s not hypocrisy to acknowledge one’s own errors and to be willing to be part of changing a toxic culture. I only wish I’d have had positive influences from more senior fans when I started attending. 

I won’t sing it and I’d encourage others not to. Let’s focus on the positive and more palatable songs that everyone can get behind. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Personally if you are offended I can appreciate that you are offended by this song, but sadly just because you have raised it on here doesn't mean the hundreds that do sing it agree with you or will wish to stop singing it

I was stood in the corner for the second half against 'Boro and witnessed many women of different ages joining in with the song

…and where do you think they learnt it from? This is exactly the point. If we keep singing it, it’ll continue to exist and be passed down to younger supporters. 

Probably learn it from mates, older friends, younger friends at school etc

From my personal point of view I find it a shame that the "older" classic songs are not heard around the ground anymore.

I know when large numbers originally moved to E34 those "older" supporters that didn't move gave it a couple of rendition of many old songs

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Most young football fans have shit for brains, as I’m sure a lot of the older fans did when they weren’t so old wise.

That is possibly the most insulting generalisation in a reply for a long time

I wonder what age bracket you would class yourself as, just so we all know that is the only age bracket we should acknowledge has a decent IQ

• Like 6