IGNORED

Premier League gambling shirt advertising ban

ChippenhamRed

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

From the FRONT of match day shirts!?

It’s a start. The tide of public opinion has turned against gambling advertising - as the comments below the tweet show - and I would suggest this is the first step towards an eventual complete ban. Some might think that’s naive, but I do think that’s the direction of travel for this issue now. It will get to a point where gambling advertising is so frowned upon it becomes counterproductive for any club or league to take their money.

• Like 2

I might be remembering this wrong, but didn’t the club end the Mansion bet deal early and move to Huboo as the mood music was that this was coming and they didn’t want to chase sponsors with everyone else when it came in?

I’m not sure how many EFL clubs have gambling companies on the front of shirt if that comes in, but if you assume as the Prem it’s 40% that’s a hell of a lot of people chasing new sponsors at the same time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I might be remembering this wrong, but didn’t the club end the Mansion bet deal early and move to Huboo as the mood music was that this was coming and they didn’t want to chase sponsors with everyone else when it came in?

I’m not sure how many EFL clubs have gambling companies on the front of shirt if that comes in, but if you assume as the Prem it’s 40% that’s a hell of a lot of people chasing new sponsors at the same time.

You forgot about the days of Dunder.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Excellent news in my opinion. I hope EFL clubs follow suit.

But absolutely a 100% cynical move ahead of the independant regulator appointment. Plus this will increase the value of shirt sleeve advertising, at least for the bigger clubs. (Credit, Kieran McGuire/Price of Football podcast. I'm not bright enough to think of that on my own.) What about crypo and nft - that's thinly disguised gambling?

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

The timing and motive might be questionable, but this is undoubtedly a good thing. The correlation between betting and football is absolutely ridiculous.

There are people who can't watch a game without having a "cheeky acca" on & kids will surely be making the connection that the two are utterly intertwined with betting ads bookending every break, splashed over shirts for years.

There's a long way to go, but this is a good start.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bristol Council banned gambling ads which effectively made our bus stop and other public ads impossible to deliver as they all carried the Mansion Bet logo. We terminated the whole relationship.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-council-bans-adverts-5138679.amp

As to PL announcement...is it a ban or is it a "collective agreement"? There's no mention of any change to the PL Rules or handbook, so it seems like a handshake agreement rather than anything enforceable or defined. I wonder how they've even defined "gambling sponsorship"? 

Will promoted teams automatically be under its umbrella next season? Seems unlikely unless it's enshrined in the PL Rules or articles of association.

And as others have pointed out this doesn't stop advertising gambling on hoardings, in the concourse, on websites, during PL broadcasts, on shorts, on sleeves, on players bodies, on the waistband of your pants etc etc.

Edited by ExiledAjax

The PL blurb says its a collective agreement to begin at the start of the 2025/26 season. 

Any chance of players names and numbers on the front and advertising on the back? 

Not sure how many clubs would be affected if extended to the Championship. We'd be OK but it would give Stoke an interesting dilemma with the Coates family owning Bet365. 

Any EFL team with aspirations of getting to the Premier League will surely avoid sponsorship from betting companies aswell then. Unless deals include clauses to lose the main shirt sponsorship should the team make it to the Premier League, which seems unlikely.

It could be that betting companies will have to accept 1 year deals for Championship teams, 2 years for league 1 etc.

Sleeve sponsorship will certainly be very expensive for them.

All of a sudden betting companies must be finding sponsoring any team unattractive.

15 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The PL blurb says its a collective agreement to begin at the start of the 2025/26 season. 

Any chance of players names and numbers on the front and advertising on the back? 

Not sure how many clubs would be affected if extended to the Championship. We'd be OK but it would give Stoke an interesting dilemma with the Coates family owning Bet365. 

Would be a bit hypocritical in the Sky Bet Championship 

• Like 1