IGNORED

Vulnerable players - who might NP try and offload?

Searles

Both NP and Tins have said we are going to be active in the transfer market and that we (finally) are going to have some money to spend, considering the manager likes a relatively small squad there must be players who are vulnerable if offers came in. Obviously we know that Kalas, DaSilva, King and Moore are OOC so there would be no surprise if these 4 left, however there are others who may be at risk too.

Pring and Atkinson are both entering their last year but with 1 year options, which the club will no doubt activate. Weimann, James and Williams are entering their final year….James I would imagine is a shoe in for a new deal, NP loves him, however would the deal only be offered if NP signed a new contract - he is entering his final year after all.

I see both Williams and Weimann as the 2 in the squad both at risk of becoming the next to fall out of the squad, neither are Pearson signings, Weimann in his early 30s and Williams injury prone…..can you see the club offering them new deals? Are they taking up significant wages that could  be better directed elsewhere? Weimann seems really happy here but would Williams sign a new deal? Any other players posters think are at risk of losing their place or being phased out similar to the likes of Klose and Martin?

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, Searles said:

Both NP and Tins have said we are going to be active in the transfer market and that we (finally) are going to have some money to spend, considering the manager likes a relatively small squad there must be players who are vulnerable if offers came in. Obviously we know that Kalas, DaSilva, King and Moore are OOC so there would be no surprise if these 4 left, however there are others who may be at risk too.

Pring and Atkinson are both entering their last year but with 1 year options, which the club will no doubt activate. Weimann, James and Williams are entering their final year….James I would imagine is a shoe in for a new deal, NP loves him, however would the deal only be offered if NP signed a new contract - he is entering his final year after all.

I see both Williams and Weimann as the 2 in the squad both at risk of becoming the next to fall out of the squad, neither are Pearson signings, Weimann in his early 30s and Williams injury prone…..can you see the club offering them new deals? Are they taking up significant wages that could  be better directed elsewhere? Weimann seems really happy here but would Williams sign a new deal? Any other players posters think are at risk of losing their place or being phased out similar to the likes of Klose and Martin?

Yes possibly weinmann half the player he was and if we are gonna push on james king and williams all need replacing if as expected scott moves on .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Searles said:

In terms of freeing up some spend, easy to forget that HNM is technically on loan and will clearly go. No one’s fault but we have been also paying for Baker whose salary drops out end of this season.

• Like 3

Tricky one as, apart from the out of contract players, the ones that I may have had as being ones he'd like to upgrade on would have been players like Vyner and Pring who have upped their game this season.

It may be that he thinks we can do better than some of the younger players so bringing in better options will block the pathway for players like Bell, Francois, Taylor-Clarke etc. But don't think he'd want to offload these. It will just make it harder for them to get in the first 11.

After that, we will need to, at some point, replace the older ones - Weimann, James, Wells etc but they would need replacing with experienced players Maybe 25-28 age range. Will be an interesting Summer.

Edited by citywest30

I see Andy King staying around.

Those vulnerable to me are:

- Joe Williams, not because of ability, but because of fitness reliability - we can't just keep changing the side week-in, week-out due to not knowing if he's fit

- Kane Wilson, not sure he's hit the heights expected, but I do understand that was due to a nasty injury, but the way NP is talking, it sounds like he may be a fitness liability

- Weimann will stay, especially as he re-signed on reduced contract a year or so ago.

- A real wild-card shout would be Benarous, depending on how his rehab is going.

- Kalas 50%-50%

Personally, I'd like to see the following players brought in: Keeper, CBx2, CMx2, LB, RB(if Wilson leaves)

• Like 1

I would think that Idehen may be moved on , Owers as well.
From the first team squad there are not big numbers of players stinking out the dressing room so other than those already mentioned I can’t think of any.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Weimann stick around until he stops playing . He is a top pro and I think could make a good coach if he wants to. Could that be here? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

Tricky one as, apart from the out of contract players, the ones that I may have had as being ones he'd like to upgrade on would have been players like Vyner and Pring who have upped their game this season.

It may be that he thinks we can do better than some of the younger players so bringing in better options will block the pathway for players like Bell, Francois, Taylor-Clarke etc. But don't think he'd want to offload these. It will just make it harder for them to get in the first 11.

After that, we will need to, at some point, replace the older ones - Weimann, James, Wells etc but they would need replacing with experienced players Maybe 25-28 age range. Will be an interesting Summer.

Interesting points - I don’t see Wells being replaced as we have just offered him a new deal, I don’t see us signing a striker this summer.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

I read that Nige is keen to keep King as he is involved with coaching as well as playing. 

Is he? :fear:

I think Kadji and Owers have been overtaken in the midfield stakes, OTC and a couple of others that haven't been seen at this level yet are more Nigel's style. It will be interesting who stays from the younger group.

17 minutes ago, Searles said:

Interesting points - I don’t see Wells being replaced as we have just offered him a new deal, I don’t see us signing a striker this summer.

Nige said yesterday that City are blessed up front. I seriously doubt we’ll see a striker coming in. The obvious position that needs strengthening is at CB. That’ll definitely be top of the shopping list.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I would think that Idehen may be moved on , Owers as well.
From the first team squad there are not big numbers of players stinking out the dressing room so other than those already mentioned I can’t think of any.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Weimann stick around until he stops playing . He is a top pro and I think could make a good coach if he wants to. Could that be here? 

I suppose it depends whether we offer him a new deal. He would need to take a further wage reduction and we aren’t known for sentiment. Also depends on who the manager at the time is. He is 31, can’t see NP being here in 4/5/6 years when Weimann potentially retires.

I feel Weimann will be here. I'm not sure he's regressed that much. He's just not had a consistent role in the side as he did last season but has been asked to fill a variety of positions. That has to have an affect on his performance. 

King and James will also be here for the reasons mentioned by others. I've yet to be convinced that Scott will depart and if he stays that bides us time to bed in players like Omar Taylor-Clark, and hopefully a returning Benarous, into the 1st team. 

DaSilva and Kalas will be dependant on them accepting new terms (if offered). Williams is an unknown. 

I expect Taylor Moore, Owura Edwards, Dylan Kadji, Duncan Idehen and Owers to depart. Sam Pearson and Will Buse might also go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Searles said:

Technically Weimann was a Pearson signing. If Scott goes then surely Weimann will be first choice to play in the hole just behind the forwards.

2 hours ago, Searles said:

No I agree. I just mean at some point due to his age. We must have some sort of succession planning in place for him. I'd love us to get Leaburn in but as you say, don't see us signing a striker either.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Pearson said that Andy King could one day manage the club. I’ll be amazed if he leaves, it’s just about a job that suits all party’s

I haven't heard that. I've been thinking along the lines of Euell being NP successor. But Andy King is clearly one who is making the transition from full time player to management/coaching at a sensible pace.

As for the rest of the comments, this thread has been, so far, a very sensible set of comments.

I know NP has said the group of forwards are OK but if a quick, tall striker became available at our pay rates, another one would not surprise me.

At back four and midfield, I can't add any more to what others have said. So am interesting few months to come this summer.

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Kalas, Dasilva, Massengo, possibly Wilson. Forgot Taylor Moore. Plus Idehen, Edwards and Pearson.

Both Idehen & Sam Pearson are still under contract for next season so they’ll only leave this summer if we pay them up.

Josh Owers & Will Buse are both out of contract & Nathan Baker of course is too, obviously our obligations to the latter end this summer but would expect the first two to leave us as well.

The dynamic of contacts has completely changed, the fact that Williams & Weimann (James too) are going into their last year in 23/24 isn’t the drama it used to be.

Palmer & Bakinson are two of very few to move on at our volition whilst under contract & I bet it cost us a small fortune to shift the former.

Bajic & Wilson are the only two I think that could come into the category the OP was suggesting, as realistically everyone expects Scott to go.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, phantom said:

I reckon Kane Wilson will be on his way this summer, don't see JD staying with any new offer 

Kane for me somethings not right , Williams ( injury prone ) kalas see Williams JD as I think we will go back for the Wimbledon left back , weimann needs to up his game but is good around the club and a top pro , will be interesting to see how beanerous comes back he is ( was the next Alex Scott ) before his injury with lots expected of him be interesting to see how him comes back from a bad bad injury 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I haven't heard that. I've been thinking along the lines of Euell being NP successor. But Andy King is clearly one who is making the transition from full time player to management/coaching at a sensible pace.

As for the rest of the comments, this thread has been, so far, a very sensible set of comments.

I know NP has said the group of forwards are OK but if a quick, tall striker became available at our pay rates, another one would not surprise me.

At back four and midfield, I can't add any more to what others have said. So am interesting few months to come this summer.

He said it sometime ago ref King. In today’s interview he referred to King as staff as well as a player. 

From Pearson’s comments today we are looking for at least one Center Back (Kalas I reckon is less than 50/50 to be offered a new contract as his injury record since Pearson has been iffy)

But a goal scoring midfielder seems to be high on the list. 

The wildcard is do we have players already at the club coming through that may step up. Such as Lowe and Idehen etc. 

He didn’t seem that worried about another forward and I don’t blame him….it’s on the match day thread if you haven’t heard/seen it. A good listen, very thoughtful and he is much more sedate compared to how he was with journalists. I certainly think people see what we are achieving and thus it’s not so combative!

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Would we have got any insurance for Baker?

Don’t believe so.  Baker will likely have had his own though.

re OOC this summer:

image.thumb.png.e1aca5e390f3717ec368596362df0eec.png

Of those, I’m sure King will be here.

Kalas - real tough one to call at this point.  My head says no.

Kadji - will be an interesting one, might get another year, as he’ll be cheap.

Edwards - we might exercise option to retain some value.

Would not surprise me if all the others left / released.

Re those who expire in summer 2024, bit early to say.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t believe so.  Baker will likely have had his own though.

re OOC this summer:

image.thumb.png.e1aca5e390f3717ec368596362df0eec.png

Of those, I’m sure King will be here.

Kalas - real tough one to call at this point.  My head says no.

Kadji - will be an interesting one, might get another year, as he’ll be cheap.

Edwards - we might exercise option to retain some value.

Would not surprise me if all the others left / released.

Re those who expire in summer 2024, bit early to say.

Ooo what does the * next to Academy for Edwards mean in your spreadsheet Dave?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Both Idehen & Sam Pearson are still under contract for next season so they’ll only leave this summer if we pay them up.

Josh Owers & Will Buse are both out of contract & Nathan Baker of course is too, obviously our obligations to the latter end this summer but would expect the first two to leave us as well.

The dynamic of contacts has completely changed, the fact that Williams & Weimann (James too) are going into their last year in 23/24 isn’t the drama it used to be.

Palmer & Bakinson are two of very few to move on at our volition whilst under contract & I bet it cost us a small fortune to shift the former.

Bajic & Wilson are the only two I think that could come into the category the OP was suggesting, as realistically everyone expects Scott to go.

Chris Martin too. I bet that didn`t come cheap.

• Like 2