IGNORED

Refereeing: The Impossible Job

ExiledAjax

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

I'm gonna assume that's a (fair) personal opinion rather than a typo... 

Personal opinion!

A win’s a win but **** me was I bored?! I almost put the latex robin face mask on and started taking selfies.

And whilst I’m in the mood how good was Naismith today….

Not very! Why shoot from over 18 yards out after a period of pressing pressure? 

Wrong call Kal….. ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

??????

Made a Rod for his own back by not giving a penalty and sending off Humphreys with second yellow.  What happens afterwards is irrelevant.

Are you talking about the Conway shout ? I didn't think that was a Pen TBH.

Then again, their Pen was as soft as they get.

Edited by 1960maaan

22 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Twas indeed Rog. And you’re right. Sometimes he was there as an assessor. Sometimes in his self appointed role as everyone’s favourite mate! ?

Whilst assessors might well be at BS3 they ain’t there to assess match day referees. The only assessment that goes on now at Chimp level is post match by video.

The days of The Milf bursting in whilst I was having a shower are long gone.

Out of interest though did you know that the 3 officials today are tipped for the top? Might be next season.

If you were there today I’d be interested to know how you viewed them? Overall I thought Josh did ok…

I watched from my living room in the colonies. 

To judge the assistant officials is difficult while looking through the keyhole. 

The referee well….He didn’t want to give a decision that would somehow impinge on Rotherham relegation battle. Or was just a third rate referee. 

On the other hand he was going to even up decisions, which we touched upon briefly. It’s covertly an issue. 

Mr Pearson says it’s pointless reporting officiating “inconsistency” week after week although I suspect City do whether NP gets particularly involved or not. 

A solid 4, which is probably enough to get a promotion. :laugh:! 

Edit

Having watched it several times ConwAy was a penalty. He was being pulled back and was in on goal and a striker in form. There was no point in going down. However if that’s not a Peno then the one which was given wasn’t. But as I said somewhere what the forward did is exactly what Scott does every week five times a match, back is bum in and go down like he’s been pushed. We’ve got to get better at buying gamey penos. 

The right result which may count for the ref when the incidents are reviewed. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I watched from my living room in the colonies. 

To judge the assistant officials is difficult while looking through the keyhole. 

The referee well….He didn’t want to give a decision that would somehow impinge on Rotherham relegation battle. Or was just a third rate referee. 

On the other hand he was going to even up decisions, which we touched upon briefly. It’s covertly an issue. 

Mr Pearson says it’s pointless reporting officiating “inconsistency” week after week although I suspect City do whether NP gets particularly involved or not. 

A solid 4, which is probably enough to get a promotion. :laugh:! 

We sit first row behind the goal. We, along with whoever else is in the ground, get a perfect unbiased view ?

Player reaction tells you everything you need to know. That’s one of the things that good old Rog used to go on and on about……

And anyway if good old Harry had tucked his 3 yarder away and if Kal hadn’t blazed it over the bar from 20 yards out it would have mattered less.

But then the men in black. They’re always fair game and the fall guys. Did Big Nige berate Harry and Kal in the same way he berated Josh?

I suspect not! 

I think I might try and dig out my old shirt for the Burnley game. Look out for a robin mask wearing official wannabe in the front row…. ?

26 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Personal opinion!

A win’s a win but **** me was I bored?! I almost put the latex robin face mask on and started taking selfies.

And whilst I’m in the mood how good was Naismith today….

Not very! Why shoot from over 18 yards out after a period of pressing pressure? 

Wrong call Kal….. ?

Did you have your Robin mask on back to front?

You missed the number of times he won important headers in our box from corners, throws and crosses?  You missed some of his lovely weighted passes, one inside 5 seconds to Bell?

Was it a perfect performance?  Nope.  But it was t “not very”, and most definitely better than average.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did you have your Robin mask on back to front?

You missed the number of times he won important headers in our box from corners, throws and crosses?  You missed some of his lovely weighted passes, one inside 5 seconds to Bell?

Was it a perfect performance?  Nope.  But it was t “not very”, and most definitely better than average.

Might have done ?

Actually I left all my latex in the Landy. But keep an eye out for a very very special visitor next Saturday….

Back to Harry. Might be my goal post and goal net affected view but I’m not convinced Mr Fevs. I want my strikers to easily and competently score from 3 yards out.

Nothing more, nothing less. If they can’t do that then they shouldn’t be out there.

Mr Curly Hair would surely have said the same at Brizzzz….. 

20 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Might have done ?

Actually I left all my latex in the Landy. But keep an eye out for a very very special visitor next Saturday….

Back to Harry. Might be my goal post and goal net affected view but I’m not convinced Mr Fevs. I want my strikers to easily and competently score from 3 yards out.

Nothing more, nothing less. If they can’t do that then they shouldn’t be out there.

Mr Curly Hair would surely have said the same at Brizzzz….. 

did you mean Cornick rather than Naismith!  Did you have latex Robins feet on too! ???

Probably saying something, but think he was amongst the worst of the season.

Got so much wrong, Hugill could easily have been sent off for his elbow on Pring, their penalty was a joke, I actually thought they had a far stronger claim when the ball came back & the guy was tripped by Pring after hitting the post.

Their 16 had most of Weimann’s shirt in his hands but after playing an advantage never booked him, then inexplicably penalised Weimann when we broke with a 3 on 3.

Harding the sub for them committed at least 3 foul throws that were missed & I thought it was a penalty for the foul on Conway, again blatant shirt pulling.

Abysmal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

did you mean Cornick rather than Naismith!  Did you have latex Robins feet on too! ???

Which bit?

Cornick’s “clearance” from 3 yards first half, or “World Class” Kal thinking that from 20 yards out he was going to bust the net in the second half? 

Toby reckons that we only need a few new signings over the summer to give us a chance…..

Me? We only need to keep a few, not get a few! ?

42 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Which bit?

Cornick’s “clearance” from 3 yards first half, or “World Class” Kal thinking that from 20 yards out he was going to bust the net in the second half? 

Toby reckons that we only need a few new signings over the summer to give us a chance…..

Me? We only need to keep a few, not get a few! ?

I saw Haaland miss from 3 yards out in January, not good enough in my opinion. I have seen Ronaldo shoot from 20 yards and the ball flew over the barr, not good enough. Of course, if we all decided to pick out one incident in a match or a season, there isn't a player in the world that is good enough. 

You need to take that mask off and try watching the game a little closer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I saw Haaland miss from 3 yards out in January, not good enough in my opinion. I have seen Ronaldo shoot from 20 yards and the ball flew over the barr, not good enough. Of course, if we all decided to pick out one incident in a match or a season, there isn't a player in the world that is good enough. 

You need to take that mask off and try watching the game a little closer.

Aha.

I’d not want to drift into making comparisons between Harry and Haaland or Kal and Ronaldo.

That’s like chalk and cheese. Or Championship and Downs League.

They might well have off days but the thing is I’d say they’d be few and far between. Unlike Harry and Kal….

And anyway I wasn’t masked up yesterday. 

Might be for Burnley though. As you’ve asked. Oh you didn’t. Just inferred. The mask hasn’t had an outing since Luton……. ?

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Aha.

I’d not want to drift into making comparisons between Harry and Haaland or Kal and Ronaldo.

That’s like chalk and cheese. Or Championship and Downs League.

They might well have off days but the thing is I’d say they’d be few and far between. Unlike Harry and Kal….

And anyway I wasn’t masked up yesterday. 

Might be for Burnley though. As you’ve asked. Oh you didn’t. Just inferred. The mask hasn’t had an outing since Luton……. ?

I wasn't talking about the Robin mask...:whistle:

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It seems as if referees aren't bothered about throw-ins any more. Quite a few of the throw-ins you see in every match could be deemed a foul throws to the letter of the law but you never see a ref give them. 

As mentioned above, this is my biggest annoyance in football. I'd go further than 'quite a few' and goes as far as to say it's the majority of throws. 

11 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

As mentioned above, this is my biggest annoyance in football. I'd go further than 'quite a few' and goes as far as to say it's the majority of throws. 

Encroachment when a penalty is being taken annoys me. Some players are yards inside the box before the ball is kicked yet refs and both linesmen and the 4th official and VAR don't seem to notice or care.