IGNORED

Richard Gould - Cricket’s voice of reason?

Dr Balls

Sounds like our former Chief Executive Officer is keeping up the good work following his move to the ECB by actively looking to ditch the Hundred, that awful chimera of a format that literally no one plays other than the teams in that competition, and instead revert to 18 teams (i.e. the counties but maybe renamed after their city locations) playing T20 like everyone else.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/28/strauss-exits-ecb-with-new-t20-format-on-table-and-hundred-on-the-rack

• Like 2

Cricket is my summer sport. I love the game with test cricket being the ultimate. 

Never had much time for Strauss either as captain or administrator. He always struck me as a dour and humorousness individual. I thought he’d handled the KP business appallingly as captain. The hundred was never going to be a successful and the sooner it’s gets abandoned the better.

RG is a talented administrator and having worked his magic at City is starting to do the same at Lords. 

2 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

This looks like a sensible step towards something all cricket fans can largely get behind.

I have never known a sport deliberately alienate it's own core market in the way the ECB did with the 100!

I rather suspect that Rugby Union will do something similar soon.   They've employed one of the main people from 100 ahead of Premiership Rugby's 'relaunch'.