IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview Today

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not sure he remotely sees it like that at all but this is the same bloke who told us we were being awfully harsh on Swiss (there's none so blind as them that WON'T see).......................it might even be that someone comes in after Nige in a similar way it happened at Leicester and they take us to the next level, wouldn't surprise me at all. Even if that does happen I think he's done a fantastic job (with Gould as you rightly say) in stabilising what was a complete and utter mess left for him to sort out both on the financial side and on the pitch and I think Steve is very lucky that finally a piece of shit he threw at the wall stuck because if he had got this last appointment wrong we would be down fighting with the Few for the position of Bristol's lower league top dog, no doubt about it in my view.

In some ways I would imagine that Nige is relieved that he can finally be fairly judged on high expectations rather than having someone in the background whining that "Luton did it and Millwall did it" when he's putting out players with less than twenty league games under their belts every week and trying like **** with his coaches to get them to do a job because said person literally allowed the club to be run into the ground FFFP wise. People have short memories - we got a bit out muscled and outplayed today for the first hour of the game - go back eighteen months or so and that was a weekly occurrence against everyone we played, not just the runaway winners of the division.

Good good . This all day long . Top post

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

SL seems to blame the pandemic for the financial situation we were in rather than profligate spending under Ashton and Johnson.

That’s what I thought, too. I thought it was pretty arrogant of him to absolve himself and his cronies for getting us up shit creek in the first place. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, tin said:

That’s what I thought, too. I thought it was pretty arrogant of him to absolve himself and his cronies for getting us up shit creek in the first place. 

Exactly… And yet other clubs that also lived through the pandemic weren’t effected as badly ?

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, tin said:

Remember that smug interview early on in Holdens reign? He could barely contain himself at the time, so hardly surprising he doesn’t feel the absolute ffp mess couldn’t possibly be his fault.

• Like 8

The reason we are where we are today is......well Steve look in the mirrior; blame the managers you have employed if you wish but they didnt bring themselves here...YOU DID. Yes its time for some new blood at the top...time to break the never ending circle of build/knockdown/build

19 minutes ago, gl2 said:

The reason we are where we are today is......well Steve look in the mirrior; blame the managers you have employed if you wish but they didnt bring themselves here...YOU DID. Yes its time for some new blood at the top...time to break the never ending circle of build/knockdown/build

Think it shows the bloke hasn’t a effin clue tbf,think we all know he wants another nice lad ala Johnson in another form in Robins where he can say no and not be pushed back on 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think it shows the bloke hasn’t a effin clue tbf,think we all know he wants another nice lad ala Johnson in another form in Robins where he can say no and not be pushed back on 

Robins is better than Johnson IMO but irrespective I hope NP stays a few years yet, we seem to be building something. In safe hands and compared to where he found us, the transformation is quite notable.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Which is nonsense. We already know our financial position was based on unsustainable player sales, at which point we had Fam and Eliasson who were probably the only two worth even a reasonable amount of money, which might have looked good on paper but didn't address a massive squad, full of underperforming players on big wages. The pandemic if anything hastened the position we found ourselves in by maybe 12 months but the damage was already done. 
I'm eternally grateful to Steve for all he's done for the club over the years but I feel like he's backed the wrong horse many times. He should be thanking NP for clearing up the mess, sorting out the squad and keeping us in the division while doing so.
Let's not also forget that if a certain Mr Johnson was still here then Scott and Conway would probably be on their 3rd loan spell each and nowhere near the first team. Nige blooding these players and us being in a position to sell them will allow the club to build and not stagnate. I hope. 

Amen Brother Dredd ??????

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Robins is better than Johnson IMO but irrespective I hope NP stays a few years yet, we seem to be building something. In safe hands and compared to where he found us, the transformation is quite notable.

He is but the last thing we need at this club is a owner friendly with a manager again which is why we need Nige to keep Steve honest 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, tin said:

He is arrogant though, isn’t he. Steve and the family come across as decent people, i certainly wouldn’t for one minute think their has been any malice in SL’s poor footballing decisions but it doesn’t excuse them and the damage they have done to the football club over the years.

He does though time after time fail to see that he is at fault for any of it though i feel, and that’s why i think you get this underlying arrogant attitude from him in interviews. ‘Its my club, i’ll do as i please’ remember was trotted out from Steve in an interview not so long ago, i lost a lot of respect from him after he said that to be honest.

As i said he isn’t a bad bloke and credit to him, we are certainly a better club off the field from where we were when we took over. He is fairly clueless when it comes to the footballing side of things though which is a shame as that will tarnish his legacy when he finally sells up.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, tin said:

Sl doesn’t like criticism, very appreciative for all he’s done for the club but he’s made some pretty big mistakes along the way and it’s obvious he doesn’t understand football even after all these years, banging on about league positions and Coventry and Luton doing well doesn’t sit well with me , does he not understand the absolute mess we were in when Pearson came in , he should be taking full responsibility for that, it’s great he’s covering loses every year but we’re losing millions because of his incompetence .

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

10 hours ago, tin said:

It's a big flaw, not being able to wear your own f@ck up......a real weakness - people would admire/warm to him if he held his hands up.

As it is the bloke leaves me stone cold.

• Like 18
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Well perhaps he shouldn’t of employed and let MA to oversee everything then, we are only just beginning to see the end of MA era and imo things are looking a lot rosier now than 1-2 years ago.

Time will tell if "MA`s Ipswich" join the line of clubs that seem to pass us by; things will look rosier when we can keep our best players/prospects and stop consistantly sleeping and giving games away.

Edited by gl2

The single most important reason for our failure to progress has been poor player recruitment. At the end of the day it is all about having good enough players on the pitch. I'm still not sure if putting Tinnion in charge of it will prove to be the answer.

We have wasted so much money on players that have not improved the team. I'm not sure how much SL has been directly involved in that over the years but he certainly is responsible for deciding who chooses the players.

• Like 2

Just listened to the interview. I'm a bit of a Lansdown sceptic and at times he talks it's as though he hasn't been the one making all the big decisions for the past couple of decades...I guess that's how he lives with some of his howlers! But he came across as having an enduring passion for the club, more so than he's sometimes expressed in the past, spoke well about the future and investment...and he spoke better of Nigel Pearson than I'd imagined from comments on here. Pearson is precisely the type of football character he's needed alongside him all along. Good if he's finally recognising that, and can embrace it. In that lies hope for the future.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Dredd said:

Which is nonsense. We already know our financial position was based on unsustainable player sales, at which point we had Fam and Eliasson who were probably the only two worth even a reasonable amount of money, which might have looked good on paper but didn't address a massive squad, full of underperforming players on big wages. The pandemic if anything hastened the position we found ourselves in by maybe 12 months but the damage was already done. 
I'm eternally grateful to Steve for all he's done for the club over the years but I feel like he's backed the wrong horse many times. He should be thanking NP for clearing up the mess, sorting out the squad and keeping us in the division while doing so.
Let's not also forget that if a certain Mr Johnson was still here then Scott and Conway would probably be on their 3rd loan spell each and nowhere near the first team. Nige blooding these players and us being in a position to sell them will allow the club to build and not stagnate. I hope. 

Great post.

Just listened to the interview, it’s always good to hear from him but his comments came across as pretty arrogant today with little in the way of self awareness; at least that which he’d share on local radio. The issues he talked about were entirely of his making with numerous poor decisions. 

Clearly, he’s been good overall and we’re all grateful for the stadium, HPC and academy, but the failures are his as much as the successes. 

It’s also pretty clear there will be no Lansdown dynasty; he’s selling up if he can. 

I also noted when asked of his favourite memories he reeled off the ones we all would, but didn’t mention the double/title winning season at all. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, One Team said:

I also noted when asked of his favourite memories he reeled off the ones we all would, but didn’t mention the double/title winning season at all. 

I noticed that and thought it was pretty poor of him. He seemed to take great delight in the celebrations at the time at achieving the double, in what was a fantastic season.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I noticed that and thought it was pretty poor of him. He seemed to take great delight in the celebrations at the time at achieving the double, in what was a fantastic season.

In fairness to him - and I'm not always the fairest - he'd been led down that particular memory lane by Geoff. But I think it does say something about what he sees as the glory years of his time at City - the GJ era. Objectively getting to the Championship play-offs with GJs side was more of an achievement that that double, but I think more importantly it tells us that part of what SL enjoyed was the personal glory - GJ was SL's man - the credit was all SL's - which it certainly wasn't under Cotts. We live with the consequences of decisions made in the months after that 2015 success - the reckless discarding of something that had real promise.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Non committal on a new contract for Nige, it’s clear they’ve had different opinions, but is pleased with the way the club has built both on and off the pitch. Next year aiming at top of the table, top 6 if possible. 

SL should be a bit more humble and realise that when he and Nige have a difference of opinion then Nige is almost certainly right every time.

NP is the most fortuitous managerial appointment SL has made and he should be damn grateful for the job he's done to stabilise the club from the complete mess he inherited, that mess being largely thanks to some terrible decisions from SL.

Nige has more than earnt a new contract. imo. He's earnt more praise, respect and trust than SL seems willing to give him - publicly at least.

Don't play silly games, offer NP that contract now.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Just listened to the interview. I'm a bit of a Lansdown sceptic and at times he talks it's as though he hasn't been the one making all the big decisions for the past couple of decades...I guess that's how he lives with some of his howlers! But he came across as having an enduring passion for the club, more so than he's sometimes expressed in the past, spoke well about the future and investment...and he spoke better of Nigel Pearson than I'd imagined from comments on here. Pearson is precisely the type of football character he's needed alongside him all along. Good if he's finally recognising that, and can embrace it. In that lies hope for the future.

I haven’t done so yet but despite him being clearly selective about certain decisions (MA especially, LJ to an extent) do you think it is possibly that as you approach your latter years you do become more reflective?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

In fairness to him - and I'm not always the fairest - he'd been led down that particular memory lane by Geoff. But I think it does say something about what he sees as the glory years of his time at City - the GJ era. Objectively getting to the Championship play-offs with GJs side was more of an achievement that that double, but I think more importantly it tells us that part of what SL enjoyed was the personal glory - GJ was SL's man - the credit was all SL's - which it certainly wasn't under Cotts. We live with the consequences of decisions made in the months after that 2015 success - the reckless discarding of something that had real promise.

I think the GJ era was probably the peak of SL's "access" to the footballing side too.

Note he said, "before the Palace away game I spoke to 'David' and said 'you'll score today'". 

He said it almost like a manager recollecting a big game would've. 

They'll be none of that going on under NP. 

• Like 14
  • Flames 2