IGNORED

So what’s going on…..

BCFC1512

6 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Sam bell , great prospect  but not a week in week out starter for me …. 

Nor me! But we have to give him game time and opportunities to develop as we haven't the money to buy an oven ready player in that position, so it seems sensible in a season when we aren't going up or down, to see whether he's made of the right stuff. I'm not sure he has but can see Pearson's logic in selecting him and also greatly respect the manager's ability to blood novices such as Bell at the same time as grinding out results in this brutal league. 

15 minutes ago, tin said:

Bell’s running/fitness stats are said to set the standard, so that might explain why he’s had more opportunities. 

But, for me, Bell has to bulk up over the summer and not get bullied so easily. I’ve long suspected he doesn’t have that bit of dog in him that Conway does. 

Like father, like son. Good technique, good motor, bit of a nice, soft lad. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is getting really tiresome.

In the first half when I thought we were too passive, he twice came closest to scoring, once when Peacock-Farrell arsed around with the ball & he robbed him, second time when he had a snapshot which went just wide.

Some in here are ******* obsessed, he could find the cure for cancer & they’d still moan.

I actually thought Bell was decent yesterday, won a surprising amount in the air (our goal came from this) & I’m not seeing much between him & Memehti at present.

To me Sykes has far more of a cause to complain about not starting games than he does.

Sykes missed 4 games Graham and I think it's then about breaking back into the side.  He's not got the same status as James who should always play if fit IMO.

If people can't see what Cornick offers then frankly they don't understand football.  Obviously he's not a silky smooth wide player or a 25 goal a season striker.  He is, however, an absolute pain in the arse to play against and very combative.  We are short of physicality, though I think Conway is showing signs he can deal with it as a number 9.  

Seems fairly clear to me that Pearson wants to have 6 or 7 players each game who can play in various combinations in the 4 attacking positions.  That will allow us to deal with injuries/suspensions but when everyone is fit, someone will miss out of the 23. Seems obvious to me that Mehmeti would be the one to miss out on Saturday due to our opposition and the likelihood of us spending a lot of time without the ball.  He really needs to improve defensively as was shown by his performance at Cardiff.  He is only 21.  It'll come.

• Like 10

There may have been an element of including Kalas and JD so they could get chance to say goodbye to home fans as unlikely they will renew contracts.

Pearson has said a few times that selling Semenyo meant he could get players in January rather than in summer (more aimed at Cornick than Mehmeti I believe), and in the few games he’s played for us I do belive Mehmeti could have been signed as an option to replace Scott. He’s creative enough to play in that position, and would allow us to keep genuine pace in the wide areas 

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pearson a sentimental old bugger then, you think?

Kalas and Dasilva were on the bench because it gave us the best chance of winning that game, surely. 

100%, plus for the first time in a while a bench with cover in every area of the pitch with Kalas available.

Like you I don’t think he does sentimentality, so be interesting to see who is involved at QPR, can’t see a value in involving those who are off this summer in a dead rubber, I expect Mehmeti to be the 18, therefore.

56 minutes ago, brad blit said:

There may have been an element of including Kalas and JD so they could get chance to say goodbye to home fans as unlikely they will renew contracts.

Pearson has said a few times that selling Semenyo meant he could get players in January rather than in summer (more aimed at Cornick than Mehmeti I believe), and in the few games he’s played for us I do belive Mehmeti could have been signed as an option to replace Scott. He’s creative enough to play in that position, and would allow us to keep genuine pace in the wide areas 

If Scott goes, then I also hope it's Mehmeti who takes his place. 

I see Mehmeti more of a creative attacking midfielder that could operate behind our forwards. 

I really like the pace we have up front. 

I'd like to see Bell and Conway used as much as possible. Their pace and understanding is a real threat.  With Wells, Weimann, Cornick and Sykes we have 6 offensive players that can offer a lot. 

Any money from Scott surely has to be spent on defenders and DMs. 

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not sure why DaSilva was on the bench as we had Kalas (who may sign a new contract), so following on from Nige's stance on HNM, then why would you have DaSilva on the bench ahead of Mehmeti who will be here next season

We don't see what goes on behind the scenes and I strongly suspect that this is Pearson's way of saying look son, you have a bit of work to do before you are an automatic pick. 

Edited by AppyDAZE

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

I see Mehmeti more of a creative attacking midfielder that could operate behind our forwards. 

I'd like to see Bell and Conway used as much as possible. Their pace and understanding is a real threat.  With Wells, Weimann, Cornick and Sykes we have 6 offensive players that can offer a lot. 

Agree, if we cut out the stupidity that plagues us too often we can do very well in this league. We have more games where a defensive error costs us the result we wanted compared to games where missing sitters or creating sod all costs us. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen before people say "what about Sheffield United then etc. etc............" BUT IT HAPPENS LESS so to me that says everything about our priority for strengthening (I'm assuming we don't have the dosh to bring in 11 new players covering the whole pitch).

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree, if we cut out the stupidity that plagues us too often we can do very well in this league. We have more games where a defensive error costs us the result we wanted compared to games where missing sitters or creating sod all costs us. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen before people say "what about Sheffield United then etc. etc............" BUT IT HAPPENS LESS so to me that says everything about our priority for strengthening (I'm assuming we don't have the dosh to bring in 11 new players covering the whole pitch).

I agree. 

He was kitted up and warming up with the rest of the squad in front of the Dolman Stand Saturday. Can't see there is any conspiracy, just unlucky not to be selected on the bench.

I guess with Benson on their right side NP didn't think we would get much joy down that side as Pring would have to sit deeper to counter Benson's threat.

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Think it’s a bit more even across the pitch than that, albeit we’ve got more options up front, so overall strengthening probably does need numbers in the back 7. 13th best goals for and 14th best goals against, plus 9 fewer goals scored than last season and 21 fewer conceded, indicates that we’ve made progress defensively, but agree always more that can be done.

Think we’re pretty profligate going forward in the final third in terms of converting decent possession into decent chances. Don’t think that’s likely to result in lots more attacking arrivals, but an area it would be good to improve to mount a serious challenge. Personally think we’re marginally closer to a free scoring Boro approach than a tight at the back Luton approach… but either would be great! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tin said:

but I suspect he’ll be more central next term

Me too.

20 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think it’s a bit more even across the pitch than that, albeit we’ve got more options up front, so overall strengthening probably does need numbers in the back 7. 13th best goals for and 14th best goals against, plus 9 fewer goals scored than last season and 21 fewer conceded, indicates that we’ve made progress defensively, but agree always more that can be done.

Think we’re pretty profligate going forward in the final third in terms of converting decent possession into decent chances. Don’t think that’s likely to result in lots more attacking arrivals, but an area it would be good to improve to mount a serious challenge. Personally think we’re marginally closer to a free scoring Boro approach than a tight at the back Luton approach… but either would be great! 

that 12 goal difference swing is pretty significant.  But it’s come at the expense of a few more goals.  I’d happily take another 9 fewer goals next season and another 21 less conceded….we’d be right in the mix if so.

I think as fans we say we want exciting, front foot (en vogue word) football, but I reckon a lot would prefer a 1-0 win than a 3-3 draw.  Okay that’s a poor comparison, but you know what I mean.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.

that 12 goal difference swing is pretty significant.  But it’s come at the expense of a few more goals.  I’d happily take another 9 fewer goals next season and another 21 less conceded….we’d be right in the mix if so.

I think as fans we say we want exciting, front foot (en vogue word) football, but I reckon a lot would prefer a 1-0 win than a 3-3 draw.  Okay that’s a poor comparison, but you know what I mean.

Totally agree that being 3rd with Luton’s for/against would be great, but feels to me like a more significant rebuild to get to well below 1 GA per game, vs a bit more success in attack. But will happily take either (or both!). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I think we need to replace Scott directly with someone who can play as an 8 and sometimes pushed on a bit. Someone who scores goals. Also would be good to have a left footed wide option who could play LB but mainly left mid in the same way that Sykes sometimes does on the right.

Agree about CBs though.  We need at least 2 of them with maybe a loan to cover Atkinson for the 1st half of the season as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

13th best goals for and 14th best goals against, plus 9 fewer goals scored than last season and 21 fewer conceded, indicates that we’ve made progress defensively, but agree always more that can be done.

21 fewer goals conceded is excellent progress for me and had to be the priority.

When you consider we've swapped Weimann (at his peak) - Semenyo - Martin for Bell - Conway - Sykes (or sometimes just Conway - Wells with one in behind who hasn't been scoring), only 9 fewer goals scored seems entirely acceptable, also.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Totally agree that being 3rd with Luton’s for/against would be great, but feels to me like a more significant rebuild to get to well below 1 GA per game, vs a bit more success in attack. But will happily take either (or both!). 

IMO we have clearly improved defensively since the world cup, though a little bit of sloppiness has crept back in recently.   If we could actually play 2 proper centre halves it would help as we are clearly more of a threat with Pring on the left and Naismith in CM.  Things look far better now than they did though.  

A lot depends on Conway as a 9 IMO.  We are far more of a threat with him in the team as he's the best finisher and an all round centre forward, better at bringing others into the team.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I think we need to replace Scott directly with someone who can play as an 8 and sometimes pushed on a bit. Someone who scores goals. Also would be good to have a left footed wide option who could play LB but mainly left mid in the same way that Sykes sometimes does on the right.

Agree about CBs though.  We need at least 2 of them with maybe a loan to cover Atkinson for the 1st half of the season as well.

Think people need to realise we can’t replace Scott. A like for like change not only would be very expensive, something I’d doubt we’d look into with our current recruitment plans, but also they’re isn’t many players available like that.

and whatever technically gifted attacking midfielders who can score and are proven in the championship will either be young and looking towards the prem or prefer a Norwich/west brom etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, George Rs said:

Think people need to realise we can’t replace Scott. A like for like change not only would be very expensive, something I’d doubt we’d look into with our current recruitment plans, but also they’re isn’t many players available like that.

and whatever technically gifted attacking midfielders who can score and are proven in the championship will either be young and looking towards the prem or prefer a Norwich/west brom etc.

Yep, been saying the same.  Recruit a player that fits with how we need to play, not a direct replacement for Scott, because like Semenyo, there isn’t one available for what we can afford.

20 hours ago, sunningdalered said:

Might be a hangover from the game against Reading at home, when, despite having multiple chances to make a telling contribution, his end product was non existent. More likely that Nige just wants to mix things up though. 

So Mehmeti has one poor game and is suddenly out the picture, yet other repeatedly put in poor performances and get given chance after chance?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bell has 5 goals and a couple of assists this season. That puts him ahead of Mehmeti for me, at present, who needs to improve his end product. Hopefully that comes in time.

We were playing a side likely to dominate possession and our best bet of getting a result was quick counter attacks on transition - a tactic well suited to Bell's strengths. For exactly the same reason, Cornick was selected because he's good at constantly harassing the opposition and forcing mistakes against teams who can keep the ball better than us.

Did you see how we got a result against Boro the other week, for example? Did you see how well Bell and Cornick played that day? Yesterday's plan was clearly to try and do the same again.

Bar uncharacteristic individual errors that led to both their goals - the first still requiring a worldie finish from Benson - those tactics and that team selection would have got us a result against the best team in the league. 

Mehmeti is full of promise and technically excellent. But apart from an excellent assist against Wigan and a tap in against Stoke you or I could have scored, his contributions so far have been that of a show pony - nutmegs, step overs etc. All well and good but there needs to be end product. I hope it comes, it'll be great fun if it does.

You are picking out one game in which Cornick, unquestionably, put in a superb performance. Yet he still gets chance after chance?

And Mehmeti is only going to have a chance to improve end product if given the chance to play. While there is nothing on the line it was the perfect opportunity to give him those valuable minutes on the pitch to help coach/educate him.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You are picking out one game in which Cornick, unquestionably, put in a superb performance. Yet he still gets chance after chance?

No, I'm not picking out "one game".

It's an example, that's all. An example of the way Cornick has been asked to play recently, usually with Bell on the other side, in support of a a central striker.  The Boro game was just the most recent one where it went particularly well, but you can have the win at Stoke if you like or Watford away where we played them off the park, the excellent first half at Sheffield or the victory against Rotherham. 

Take your pick. 

Mehmeti will get his chance, against opponents where we'll actually have the ball and defensive discipline isn't the absolute priority. 

Thank god you're not in charge. Ivan Sproule, is it? Headless chicken. Junior Bent. Says it all. The game's moved on mate, you need a brain now - more than ever. Try it some time. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1