IGNORED

This Summer is massive.

Fuber

Possible Leaving (12-Months Remaining on current contracts) - Vyner, Williams, Weimann - Of which, due to availability and rumours, I actually think Vyner is the most likely to leave.

I make that as (due to Atkinson's ACL injury) us needing the following:
 - Goalkeeper, as competition for O'Leary)

- Left-Back, as competition for Pring)

- Centre-Backs (x2) , Competition for Naismith, Atkinson; possibility of Vyner leaving (see rumours). Towler being sold in retrospect a poor decision.

- Centre-Midfielders (x2), competition/replacing James, Williams, Wiemann, and King. Allowing Taylor-Clarke a loan to League One. If rumours are correct one of them may be McCrorie for height/strength, likely to play alongside James.

- Utility Forward/Winger - i.e. Ogbene, to replace the pace and/or strength lost selling Semenyo, possible loan.

Something I also note - is that pending Sheffield Wednesday taking up the option I believe Bakinson's contract also expires end of this season (June 2023) so more wages freed up, although likely closer in figure to Taylor Moore and DaSilva monetarily.

• Confused 1

It does not matter what we think at the end of the day we don't pick the side.eveybody has a opinion what the team should be but it the manager who picks the team and we just need to support his decision.what ever that is.lets Hope next season might be the one.

COYR 

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Not to mention Matty James, who is by a considerable margin our most consistent player... 

Of course, yeah he's very important- glue, adhesive- best in a 3, I was bit thrown by 4-4-2 by the poster who put that team out, why on earth would we change to that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm quite ok with a back 5 of O'Leary, Tanner, Vyner, Atkinson and Pring. Atkinson might be out for the start of the season so we need someone who can play, but generally I think any signings for the back 5 need to be about competition and cover so perfectly ok to go cheap and young there in my opinion. Personally I'd try hard to get Kalas to agree terms, but if he won't then he won't. I don't see a need for a like-for-like replacement and would instead spend his wages on two young CBs.

Midfield will be about replacing Scott and building for a future without King and James. Williams needs cover as well, and Benarous is a bit unknown. So we definitely need a midfielder or two, preferably someone who can be a 40 game guy, but there's some wiggle room there. Possibly Bryan plus A N Other.

Out wide I think we're sorted on the left, especially if Bryan joins as he, Bell, Mehmeti and Pring can cover and provide quite a bit of flexibility there. The right is less sorted so I'd be happy to see a right sided winger/attacking full back signed to provide some option there.

Up front I think we're ok. Conway to lead supported by Cornick, Wells and Weimann is fine, and could be great if we sign the right midfielders to supply them better than has been done this season.

So for me the priority is first XI ready players at CM and RW, then some cover/competition/development at CB and GK. Anything beyond that feels luxurious tbh.

4 or 5 to come in I think.

Atkinson said in his interview last week when he signed his new deal that his injury was a “7 to 9 month one” which means he’s not going to be back much before November at the very earliest.

Agree with lots of the rest, the decision on whether we keep Kalas or not will determine whether we bring in 1 CB or 2, McCrorie seems highly likely to arrive but no one really knows if we see him as a RB, RM, CB or DM, the answer to which will become clearer based on our other signings.

Aside from up front (where we won’t be signing Ashley bloody Barnes), you could make a good case for adding someone in every area, but I doubt we will.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Atkinson said in his interview last week when he signed his new deal that his injury was a “7 to 9 month one” which means he’s not going to be back much before November at the very earliest.

Agree with lots of the rest, the decision on whether we keep Kalas or not will determine whether we bring in 1 CB or 2, McCrorie seems highly likely to arrive but no one really knows if we see him as a RB, RM, CB or DM, the answer to which will become clearer based on our other signings.

Aside from up front (where we won’t be signing Ashley bloody Barnes), you could make a good case for adding someone in every area, but I doubt we will.

Where does the Ashley Barnes rumour come from, somebody mentioned to me on Sat that this was a possibility. Surely we don’t need another older forward player.

7 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Where does the Ashley Barnes rumour come from, somebody mentioned to me on Sat that this was a possibility. Surely we don’t need another older forward player.

I think it`s just that he`s OOC and local. People putting 2 and 2 together and getting about 73!

2 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

I know we have a lot of strikers but I wonder if we could sign Ashley Barnes for a season a big strong number 9 and a fairly local lad 

I know we have a lot of strikers but I wonder if we could sign Ashley Barnes for a season a big strong number 9 and a fairly local lad 

He shook hands with Nige quite warmly when he was subbed on. Have they been at the same club before?

Edited by Rocky

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I said in another thread somewhere that people seem to have forgotten Benarous.

With the potential he has, he could fill Scotts boots.

I sort of agree Benarous was very highly thought of coming through the ranks , however he has had a serious injury and then a set back so a lot will depend if we get the same Benarous back , obviously hope so for us and the lad himself 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Agreed he could, but will be lucky to see him in first half of the season I would think.

The club comm’d it on 7th Dec…which was a small time after it happened.

The rumour is he’s doing a lot of work to hopefully be able to do a proper pre-season with the rest of the squad.  Might mean easing him back in gently.  But I guess they’re hoping he will be available for the start of the season / early season.

Re OP, I’m gonna assume that if we can get McCrorie, O’Brien, Currie and Bryan done early then we won’t be a million miles away.  Probably one more player I reckon…

…unless players start leaving too.

We will know a lot more by the 3rd Saturday in May when the retained list has to be submitted.  So, we will know a bit more about what’s needed then.

Massengo, Moore, Morton, Owers, Dasilva will be off.

Kalas is 50/50 and I’m at the point where I just can’t call it, so I’ll just accept whatever club decide and can’t moan either way.

Others:

Edwards I think will go, but like Bakinson, we might excuse option to try and get a fee.

Kadji I think is OOC but suspect he has an option, so ditto Edwards.

Wilson I think will be off, either loan or perm.

All good fun.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm quite ok with a back 5 of O'Leary, Tanner, Vyner, Atkinson and Pring. Atkinson might be out for the start of the season so we need someone who can play, but generally I think any signings for the back 5 need to be about competition and cover so perfectly ok to go cheap and young there in my opinion. Personally I'd try hard to get Kalas to agree terms, but if he won't then he won't. I don't see a need for a like-for-like replacement and would instead spend his wages on two young CBs.

Midfield will be about replacing Scott and building for a future without King and James. Williams needs cover as well, and Benarous is a bit unknown. So we definitely need a midfielder or two, preferably someone who can be a 40 game guy, but there's some wiggle room there. Possibly Bryan plus A N Other.

Out wide I think we're sorted on the left, especially if Bryan joins as he, Bell, Mehmeti and Pring can cover and provide quite a bit of flexibility there. The right is less sorted so I'd be happy to see a right sided winger/attacking full back signed to provide some option there.

Up front I think we're ok. Conway to lead supported by Cornick, Wells and Weimann is fine, and could be great if we sign the right midfielders to supply them better than has been done this season.

So for me the priority is first XI ready players at CM and RW, then some cover/competition/development at CB and GK. Anything beyond that feels luxurious tbh.

4 or 5 to come in I think.

Although weve got quite s few strikers as mentioned they are mostlx the same we need a bully for conway anf Bell to feed off.

Edited by Cityboy1954

14 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Although weve got quite s few strikers as mentioned they are mostlx the same we need a bully for conway anf Bell to feed off.

From what he has said Nigel wants us to press high and attack with pace. I doubt he will want us to launch it to a big man in the hope it might drop to someone. Chris Martin was moved on in part because he no longer suited the way we want to play.

It seems pretty clear we won't be looking to sign a striker in any event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The club comm’d it on 7th Dec…which was a small time after it happened.

The rumour is he’s doing a lot of work to hopefully be able to do a proper pre-season with the rest of the squad.  Might mean easing him back in gently.  But I guess they’re hoping he will be available for the start of the season / early season.

Re OP, I’m gonna assume that if we can get McCrorie, O’Brien, Currie and Bryan done early then we won’t be a million miles away.  Probably one more player I reckon…

…unless players start leaving too.

We will know a lot more by the 3rd Saturday in May when the retained list has to be submitted.  So, we will know a bit more about what’s needed then.

Massengo, Moore, Morton, Owers, Dasilva will be off.

Kalas is 50/50 and I’m at the point where I just can’t call it, so I’ll just accept whatever club decide and can’t moan either way.

Others:

Edwards I think will go, but like Bakinson, we might excuse option to try and get a fee.

Kadji I think is OOC but suspect he has an option, so ditto Edwards.

Wilson I think will be off, either loan or perm.

All good fun.

Bryan , is that joe Bryan ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

From what he has said Nigel wants us to press high and attack with pace. I doubt he will want us to launch it to a big man in the hope it might drop to someone. Chris Martin was moved on in part because he no longer suited the way we want to play.

It seems pretty clear we won't be looking to sign a striker in any event.

Every team got a big bloke in their squad luton watford Birmingham  Burnley etc you got to have options as conway and Bell can get bullied by Big defenders .

Edited by Cityboy1954

9 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Every team got a big bloke in their squad luton watford Birmingham  Burnley etc you got to have options as conway and Bell can get bullied by Big defenders .

Nigel's preferred set up is 2 up front with 1 behind. Conway is nailed on, being a natural goalscorer. Which leaves Cornick, Wells, Weimann and Bell as the other options.

Cornick we would have signed in the summer but the Semenyo money allowed us to bring it forward.

There is no scope for another striker and I don't think Nigel wants one anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Nigel's preferred set up is 2 up front with 1 behind. Conway is nailed on, being a natural goalscorer. Which leaves Cornick, Wells, Weimann and Bell as the other options.

Cornick we would have signed in the summer but the Semenyo money allowed us to bring it forward.

There is no scope for another striker and I don't think Nigel wants one anyway.

Next season wells and weinmann will be that much older cornick the jury is out the second half of the season weve struggled in front of goal we will have to wait and see.

6 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Next season wells and weinmann will be that much older cornick the jury is out the second half of the season weve struggled in front of goal we will have to wait and see.

You'll have to take that up with Nigel, who has made it pretty clear he is happy with what he has and doesn't want to collect players. He's not a "clubs in the bag" manager thankfully.

I would say our issue is not missing chances but not creating enough, our final ball not being consistently good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You'll have to take that up with Nigel, who has made it pretty clear he is happy with what he has and doesn't want to collect players. He's not a "clubs in the bag" manager thankfully.

I would say our issue is not missing chances but not creating enough, our final ball not being consistently good enough.

Seems to vary based on clutches of games I find.

Some games we create well but conversion poor or some periods I should say, some games we don't create so much but may snap up a good chunk of our total shots. A bit feast or famine but overall we certainly create and have created more at home.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Agree on that but hopefully he plays mehmetti who he sees as the maverick and can actually cross a ball

6 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Have I missed something re. Bryan? I couldn't imagine him likely to sign but he is being mentioned frequently here!

Strong rumors from good sources that it's a done deal. Check out the thread in the transfer section for all the details. 

On 02/05/2023 at 03:12, BCFC Rich said:

Strong rumors from good sources that it's a done deal. Check out the thread in the transfer section for all the details. 

Still not sure what to make of it myself. Must be on a decent wedge nearer to Kalas than Jay's wages.

On 01/05/2023 at 15:29, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think we need some relatively dull, but important additions. Aka solid Championship, oven ready, aged 25 to 30-ish. Given the costs of top notch game changers, think the route to a great attacking midfielder or 20+ a season goal scorer needs be from the academy, lower leagues or Prem loans (I’m sceptical of the latter, given costs and costs of replacing once they’ve gone).

But if we’re going for it next season (sensible going for it, not ruin the future going for it) then we need players who can hit the ground running from day 1 and lower league transfers tend to need time to get up to speed/fitness and academy is a big leap, with obvious exceptions. So 2 or 3 decent, but won’t be extraordinary - why would they come to us, Championship players feels like sensible use of a chunk of the AS money (assuming it happens). Goalkeeper, defence and central midfield would be my priority areas to add depth… so basically everything apart from attack, where hope our existing players can be coached to be a bit more effective. Concede 5 fewer and score 5 more and we could be there or thereabouts. 

I'm slightly confused by this. Solid Championship players between 25-30 who are in their prime, cost a premium. So going for them would be ruining our future. That's what got us in this mess to begin with so I'm not sure it is a sensible use of the money? 

Looking at it as dispassionately as possible.

29 , possibly older than I thought our incomers would be. ?
Has the strength and aerial ability to cope in the Championship with bags of experience. ?
According to Transfermarkt hasn't played a lot this season. ?
Style is more suited to challenge/alternate with Cam Pring than JD ?
Could add needed goals to MF ?
OOC in June so should be no fee ?
While seemingly not money motivated, would surely be more expensive than JD. ?

I liked him , I thought he could easily play in CM when he was here so would fit the versatile player role needed with a small squad. We know his delivery should be a step up from Jay, plus he is more 2 footed.
If the finances are right, could be a good move for both parties .

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm slightly confused by this. Solid Championship players between 25-30 who are in their prime, cost a premium. So going for them would be ruining our future. That's what got us in this mess to begin with so I'm not sure it is a sensible use of the money? 

Solid as in 1st team at (eg) Rotherham, not leading the line for Burnley. Not sure they would be folk who’d bust budgets, particularly if out of contract.