IGNORED

Bristol...

SecretSam

So, I'm considering moving back west. I've had a look on Rightmove, etc., the prices in Bristol are truly terrifying, but for a range of reasons I need to reconnect with city (and City).

My plan is to take a smallish, ideally new-ish, 2-3 bed property, not out in some godforsaken outpost, where it's pleasant to live but with access to the city centre.

Any thoughts from you locals?

PS it's been 30+ years since I lived in a BS postcode, so I am not au fait with all the cool and groovy stuff that's going on. I don't know where's cool, where rough, and where's full of Slags...! 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-now-most-expensive-city-8408349

Bristol is now (according to the Post) the most expensive place to live outside of London in the whole UK. So good luck! 

As usual Southville/Bishopston etc tend to be the go-to places but the property prices are still pretty eyewatering even now. If you do choose to live further away, you can console yourself that Marvin is building an underground soon, so travelling around will be a piece of piss. 

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, SecretSam said:

So, I'm considering moving back west. I've had a look on Rightmove, etc., the prices in Bristol are truly terrifying, but for a range of reasons I need to reconnect with city (and City).

My plan is to take a smallish, ideally new-ish, 2-3 bed property, not out in some godforsaken outpost, where it's pleasant to live but with access to the city centre.

Any thoughts from you locals?

PS it's been 30+ years since I lived in a BS postcode, so I am not au fait with all the cool and groovy stuff that's going on. I don't know where's cool, where rough, and where's full of Slags...! 

The further out you go, the less expensive things can appear to be (nothing is cheap), might be an idea to suggest what sort of budget you have as that would be helpful.

House prices are terrifying for sure.  There are new builds popping up everywhere atm, though most are flats.  I recently moved from right by the ground to Bemmy Down.  If you can handle the hill it is close to everything and there is easy access to city centre despite the multitude of roadworks (that is the same across the whole of Bristol and surrounding areas).

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

The further out you go, the less expensive things can appear to be (nothing is cheap), might be an idea to suggest what sort of budget you have as that would be helpful.

Say £350k to buy, £1500 pcm to rent (I have a house I can sell but might try living back in the area first)

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

House prices are terrifying for sure.  There are new builds popping up everywhere atm, though most are flats.  I recently moved from right by the ground to Bemmy Down.  If you can handle the hill it is close to everything and there is easy access to city centre despite the multitude of roadworks (that is the same across the whole of Bristol and surrounding areas).

Flats are fine

2 hours ago, Super said:

Recommend South Glos. Winterbourne, FC, CH. Easy access into City Centre.

FC??? CH??? Central Heating??????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-now-most-expensive-city-8408349

Bristol is now (according to the Post) the most expensive place to live outside of London in the whole UK. So good luck! 

As usual Southville/Bishopston etc tend to be the go-to places but the property prices are still pretty eyewatering even now. If you do choose to live further away, you can console yourself that Marvin is building an underground soon, so travelling around will be a piece of piss. 

Marvin Elliott???? ?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Say £350k to buy, £1500 pcm to rent (I have a house I can sell but might try living back in the area first)

Flats are fine

FC??? CH??? Central Heating??????

Sorry Frampton Cotterill and Coalpit Heath!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Found this out first hand. After 2 years of renting our 3 bed in Shirehampton, we were asked to find an extra £500pm. The rent was £1,000pm when we moved in. 

There wasn't a single 3 bed in Bristol within our rental budget of £1,250pm. Even if you stretch the budget a little, you get some results but the quality is shocking. Had to sacrifice location and jump to Wales in the end. 

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

I would look in portishead (expensive but relatively newish houses), nailsea or yatton (loads of new builds)

You might get an apartment for around 350k in Portishead, but the maintenance fees are high as well, buying a barge in the marina is a better bet :) . I would say that Nailsea or Clevedon are better bets, although there a lot of new builds within 10 minutes of Yatton station.

Of course a lot of people are buying in Caldicott now, there are a lot of new builds near the station and you can be in Temple Meads in 20 - 25 minutes. 

On 26/08/2023 at 12:12, Erithacus said:

Hold on a moment, they're still gentrifying rebuilding it. You'll be fine if you like a student campus on the doorstep. But if you buy wisely you'll be quids in for the  future.

??? You're going to need to be more explicit, I'm 30 years away

On 26/08/2023 at 12:06, SecretSam said:

Just an update, I was briefly back in the 'hood last week, was looking around this area called 'Bedminster', some nice properties. Tempted...

I would choose Bedminster area if I was going to move to Bristol. Bemmie, Southville, Ashton, Totterdown. Easy access (walking) to Ashton Court, city centre, Clifton, BS3 2EJ… 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would choose Bedminster area if I was going to move to Bristol. Bemmie, Southville, Ashton, Totterdown. Easy access (walking) to Ashton Court, city centre, Clifton, BS3 2EJ… 

How's the cycling country near there? (Serious question, it's a major consideration)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

How's the cycling country near there? (Serious question, it's a major consideration)

I don’t know to be honest, I don’t have a bike but it’s level access to most areas and there is the area around Ashton Court and under the bridge to Abbots Leigh/ Avonmouth (?). Probably cycle to Bath on the cycle path, there’s quite a network now

I’m sure someone on here would know.

my mum used to cycle to Clevedon from Knowle in 1940s?

Edited by exAtyeoMax

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t know to be honest, I don’t have a bike but it’s level access to most areas and there is the area around Ashton Court and under the bridge to Abbots Leigh/ Avonmouth (?). Probably cycle to Bath on the cycle path, there’s quite a network now

I’m sure someone on here would know.

my mum used to cycle to Clevedon from Knowle in 1940s?

Thanks - it's the hills I am after!

• Like 1