IGNORED

1969 Ipswich - best behaved?

Bristol Rob

Tried to watch it but can't get audio right now.      Sure it's a great watch and will attempt again from another device at another time when sound is available.

Wasn't born until after that time but McGarry would have been manager and we won the old second division title (this league) in 1968.      Bob Robson took over later the next year and the rest is history.

When we almost won the treble in 1981 (imagine that now)  opposition teams thought they were coming to a nice laid back rustic outpost but on the pitch they were met with a very formidable team hell bent on attacking football and on the verge of, at the time at least, one of Europe's very best.    I don't think they were really prepared for us.    

Our fans aren't whiter than white.     You'd associate Ipswich (neutrals at least) as a simple laid back club name that wouldn't snatch sweets from a child, the epitome of fair play and impeccable behaviour and while that may have been nearer the truth at one time or another, some fans in recent years have indulged in some unsavoury scenes and incident that go beyond the pale.       If some believe we're angels that can do no wrong, from personal experience and first hand testimony, it hasn't quite played out that way.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Tried to watch it but can't get audio right now.      Sure it's a great watch and will attempt again from another device at another time when sound is available.

Wasn't born until after that time but McGarry would have been manager and we won the old second division title (this league) in 1968.      Bob Robson took over later the next year and the rest is history.

When we almost won the treble in 1981 (imagine that now)  opposition teams thought they were coming to a nice laid back rustic outpost but on the pitch they were met with a very formidable team hell bent on attacking football and on the verge of, at the time at least, one of Europe's very best.    I don't think they were really prepared for us.    

Our fans aren't whiter than white.     You'd associate Ipswich (neutrals at least) as a simple laid back club name that wouldn't snatch sweets from a child, the epitome of fair play and impeccable behaviour and while that may have been nearer the truth at one time or another, some fans in recent years have indulged in some unsavoury scenes and incident that go beyond the pale.       If some believe we're angels that can do no wrong, from personal experience and first hand testimony, it hasn't quite played out that way.   

It's more of a rhetorical thread, showing how the supporters of yesteryear opted for alternatives, away from the high-jacked transport options of the time.

Want to know why you're being kettled now, blame your dad or your grand-dad! ?

Anyway SB, congratulations on your promotion. Your CEO is a cockwomble however.

I think your supporters might have been ‘well- managed’ by others back in the day! 

If memory serves me correctly, we had you at home early days in our new First Division experience. I think your lot assumed we were country-bumpkins and brought a couple of hundred ‘lads’ to take the place over.  However, they were run ragged around the town by our mob all day. For future matches with you at ‘The Gate’ we only saw a few bubble-hat wearing families. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

I think your supporters might have been ‘well- managed’ by others back in the day! 

If memory serves me correctly, we had you at home early days in our new First Division experience. I think your lot assumed we were country-bumpkins and brought a couple of hundred ‘lads’ to take the place over.  However, they were run ragged around the town by our mob all day. For future matches with you at ‘The Gate’ we only saw a few bubble-hat wearing families. 

And little tables to stand on (I kid you not) A few of them tried to take "our" space at the back of the enclosure, needless to say them (and their tables) didn't last long !:laugh:

Edited by slartibartfast