IGNORED

Ejukated Journalists - again

Major Isewater

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

‘even the most pessimistic of supporters may have to accept that Alex Scott and Jay Dasilva have probably worn the City colours for the final time.’

The Bristol Post 

Surely that should read ‘ optimistic ‘? 
:disapointed2se:

because they sacked all their Journalists and replaced them with unpaid Intern - some of the typos are horrendous

• Like 1

I don't think there are many, if any , full time local staff any more. The OnLine content is quite often copied/pasted from a central site. The Bristol Live bit is little more than an advertising wing of Primark.  The Post , even as a local paper had been cutting back local journos for years. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I don't think there are many, if any , full time local staff any more. The OnLine content is quite often copied/pasted from a central site. The Bristol Live bit is little more than an advertising wing of Primark.  The Post , even as a local paper had been cutting back local journos for years. 

BL is one of the whopping 240+ National/Local newspapers Reach has somehow been allowed to amass - ANY "news" (even what they've copied off Social Media) is shared across the lot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

BL is one of the whopping 240+ National/Local newspapers Reach has somehow been allowed to amass - ANY "news" (even what they've copied off Social Media) is shared across the lot

It's shocking mate. I started calling them out when they did the Primark "adds". Every couple of days a new "must buy" or "people can't get enough". Either that or an actual news event which turns out to be in Blackburn !!

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

‘even the most pessimistic of supporters may have to accept that Alex Scott and Jay Dasilva have probably worn the City colours for the final time.’

The Bristol Post 

Surely that should read ‘ optimistic ‘? 
:disapointed2se:

Article probably spewed out by Ronnie Robot aka Artificial "Intelligence" Scary thing is that you are in a reducing minority of people that would spot this Major.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's shocking mate. I started calling them out when they did the Primark "adds". Every couple of days a new "must buy" or "people can't get enough". Either that or an actual news event which turns out to be in Blackburn !!

yeah the daily avalanche of "Imminent Blizzards",  now switched to "record heatwave" threats that NEVER happen is shocking scaremongering ClickBait - my 5 yr old grand-daughter could write that stuff - and don't get me started on their "EXACT DATE" garbage ?

Edited by Red Cloud
  • Like 3

It's now been amended.... Bristol Live churn out so much content on a daily basis, usually 4 Bristol City articles per day, so the odd typo is bound to happen as I doubt every article is proof-read like it was back in the day.... 

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's now been amended.... Bristol Live churn out so much content on a daily basis, usually 4 Bristol City articles per day, so the odd typo is bound to happen as I doubt every article is proof-read like it was back in the day.... 

In previous times proof reading was a given, by at least one set of new eyes, not just a quick glance at what you've written. 

A quick check of your own work is a road to typos, bad grammar and factual mistakes. 
As anyone that reads my Post will attest to. :facepalm:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

because they sacked all their Journalists and replaced them with unpaid Intern - some of the typos are horrendous

23 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's not a simple typo though - it's some idiot using completely the wrong the word, to the point their sentence means the exact opposite of what they're trying to say. It's on a par with the recent article that said City wanted greater disparity in their wage structure.

How do you even get a job as an intern at a newspaper, if you're that clueless?

Morons.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's not a simple typo though - it's some idiot using completely the wrong the word, to the point their sentence means the exact opposite of what they're trying to say. It's on a par with the recent article that said City wanted greater disparity in their wage structure.

How do you even get a job as an intern at a newspaper, if you're that clueless?

Morons.  

It's been amended online, so that's the end of that drama?. As for the actual typo mistake, I would expect it's an over worked journalist trying to churn out tons of content with silly deadlines set...?

Edited by Tomo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

It's been amended online, so that's the end of that drama?. As for the actual typo mistake, I would expect it's an over worked journalist trying to churn out tons of content with silly deadlines set...?

Just like people in the medical profession …

Sorry sir, we amputated the wrong leg but the good news is the other one got better. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Active investigative journalism is a thing of the past now which is sad for our city. The articles on there they now just copy from other websites, i.e. what jobs are available at Bristol City Council, what the Met office says the weather will be like next week etc. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Active investigative journalism is a thing of the past now which is sad for our city. The articles on there they now just copy from other websites, i.e. what jobs are available at Bristol City Council, what the Met office says the weather will be like next week etc. 

If you want to find out what’s going on in Bristol, particularly in terms of decisions made by Marvin and City Hall, it’s really hard. And then when you do occasionally get a local journalist asking difficult questions they try to ban them!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

My favourite, twice a year, is the earth shattering news as to when the clocks go forwards or backwards.

Tristan something (I have forgotten his full name) is quite good and, to be fair, James Piercy writes well (and seems to be quite well informed) on both City and Rovers.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My favourite, twice a year, is the earth shattering news as to when the clocks go forwards or backwards.

Tristan something (I have forgotten his full name) is quite good and, to be fair, James Piercy writes well (and seems to be quite well informed) on both City and Rovers.

@Tristan Cork Come and collect your award 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

It's the way all over, as video killed the radio star the internet killed local journalism.  There's no money to fund it as so few peopel buy their local papers as they used to.

The below was built for the offices of the Western Morning News and Plymouth Herald in 1992 in the form of a ship.  Now they're relegated to some small office space in Millbay.

This probably marked the high water point of local journalism.

ship-building-saved-1431430602-large-art

27 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's the way all over, as video killed the radio star the internet killed local journalism.  There's no money to fund it as so few peopel buy their local papers as they used to.

The below was built for the offices of the Western Morning News and Plymouth Herald in 1992 in the form of a ship.  Now they're relegated to some small office space in Millbay.

This probably marked the high water point of local journalism.

ship-building-saved-1431430602-large-art

And with the BBC trying to kill local radio, it’s hardly surprising when so many people say they get their “news” through social media. It’s like going back 200+ years when “news” was akin to gossip heard at the local water pump, with the occasional official notice pinned to a wall somewhere!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

After I was lucky enough to take early retirement I signed on at several schoolsand colleges as a seasonal exam invigilator. I was quite shocked how the exam standards fell over a relatively short time. Particularly in the GCSE English language papers. First the instructions by a member of staff at the beginning included "You don't have to worry too much about the grammar, i.e. punctuation. "  and a couple of years later spelling was added to the "not important" instructions. 

This might be a great way to raise exam grades but as for keeping the standards high?

In a similar vein to this another mistake but this time on the BBC News online site. It's regarding Lucy Edwards the blind presenter who is doing a podcast about the Eurovision Song Contest.

Unfortunately, the journalist who has written the article mentions that Lucy Edwards hasn't watched any of this year's contest so far. I would've thought it would be more appropriate to have written that she hasn't listened to any thus far.

On 09/05/2023 at 10:07, Tomo said:

Sub-editors are a bit of a pipe dream these days at places like Reach, yeah.

It's been obvious local papers should charge for content for years, but they've been too scared at the hit to ad revenues. It would have affected page views, but it was easily the least-worst option.

Instead they've forced their journalism pool into a death by a thousand cuts instead, leaving them without any journalists, and no-one wanting to advertise anyway. Oh, and now they've started charging for content.

The people running these groups are often internal hires who have come up through sales/advertising - make of that what you will.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 3