IGNORED

Milan v Inter

Super

I did fancy Inter in this one but wish I'd put some cash on!

Napoli must be wondering how they slipped out in the quarter finals, they're comfortably the best side in Italy this season and for 6-7 months were one of the top in Europe of course. One of the top 5-10 over the course of the season but some oddly unclinical games in recent months.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Super said:

That's bizarre looked a pen to me

Interesting isn’t it. Commentators saying stonewall, and to me from the replays I think it’s a complete dive. Not saying I am right, just how we can see it with slow motion and still come to different views. Who would be a ref!

• Like 2

Funny isn't it? City are Bristol City, not Bristol. You can't call Manchester City 'City' because they are, well, Manchester City. You can't say Sheffield because there's two Sheffield clubs.

But AC are called Milan and Inter Milan are called Inter. I'm lost.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Funny isn't it? City are Bristol City, not Bristol. You can't call Manchester City 'City' because they are, well, Manchester City. You can't say Sheffield because there's two Sheffield clubs.

It’s noticeable that English players who have played in Italy say “Milan” & “Inter”.

I guess most of us here say “AC Milan” & “Inter Milan” ?? ?

24 minutes ago, PhilC said:

The AC stands for Associazione  Calco which translated means Football Club.  So in English AC Milan are Milan FC.

The club was founded by English expats and was originally called the Milan Football and Cricket Club.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Italian football . Takes diving to a new level , bloody embarrassing. Never a penalty . Literally put his hand on his side & goes down pole axed . Who ever gets through will get smashed . 

Napoli would have been a stronger opponent than either of these, had they been able to maintain their form until February, March time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhilC said:

With Milan and inter it especially works due to how inter were founded.

However 

Take Madrid getting the REAL  treatment, disregarding betis, sociadad, and others.

I mean they even get Madrid, as though atletico or vallecano have no say.

Guess other countries fans are less sensitive to their full name being stolen, not recognized, disrespected.

They are what they are and they own it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Napoli would have been a stronger opponent than either of these, had they been able to maintain their form until February, March time.

No idea how they beat Napoli.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Shows how crap spurs were not to knock them out . Poor stand in general for this level of football 

Potentially, although think Inter are a bit better than AC. Napoli very decent side, Juventus on paper have some good players but are lacking something.

Think you do Inter a bit of a disservice too, Onana, Dumfries, Bastoni, Martinez plus when they're on it, Barella and Lukaku are quite good players. Skriniar is good but injured so not playing.

Brozovic and Calhanoglu also quite good.

42 minutes ago, Super said:

No idea how they beat Napoli.

Napoli battered them over 2 legs in a few ways...possession, in some ways chances or shots but lost 2-1.

• Like 1

Sounds like an Unbelievable atmosphere there in the San Siro..

Really makes you realise how sanitised and sterile the vast majority of stadiums in the UK have become when you listen to the noise being generated by both sets of Milan fans!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Sounds like an Unbelievable atmosphere there in the San Siro..

Really makes you realise how sanitised and sterile the vast majority of stadiums in the UK have become when you listen to the noise being generated by both sets of Milan fans!

Thought similar when I went to Roma v Inter in 2017. League game, only 50k there in an 80k stadium but definitely less sanitised etc.

22 minutes ago, Malago said:

The AC stands for Associazione  Calco which translated means Football Club.  So in English AC Milan are Milan FC.

The club was founded by English expats and was originally called the Milan Football and Cricket Club.

Thank you. I knew the first part but not the second. Very interesting!

59 minutes ago, PhilC said:

40 minutes ago, Malago said:

And that’s also why they are called Milan and not Milano, ie the anglicised name of the City. And, for similar reasons, why one of the two Genova clubs is called Genoa. 

• Thanks 1

Good first leg for Inter: great first half, less positive second half (even because AC Milan grew into the game), but overall a good performance and a deserved win. Leao a big absence for them.
Good refereeing too: no penalty (neither a dive, simply a soft contact), balanced use of bookings.

I hope to see more of the same in the second leg. ?

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And that’s also why they are called Milan and not Milano, ie the anglicised name of the City. And, for similar reasons, why one of the two Genova clubs is called Genoa. 

I did also wonder that, so thanks Dave! I do love this forum sometimes.

The initial post was only really in jest, but I've actually learned two new things!