IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

34 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

How did he lack discipline ? 

On the pitch, I didn't feel he was a lazy player physically, but he was mentally. He would lose focus so frequently, whether that be losing runners, mis-controlling and mis-hitting simple passes, or giving away silly fouls through lack of patience. This is where he lacked discipline for me,

Also worth noting that Palmer is a player who has struggled to muster the enthusiasm to make himself fit enough to play 90 minutes throughout large parts of his career (though I think he did address this slightly for a short period under LJ).

I don't sit in the changing room, so I can't comment on his attitude, but as others have suggested there are reports that it wasn't amazing. I certainly got the impression that he didn't take much responsibility for developing himself and his game (as much of the above would suggest). I also think this is what really frustrated Pearson about him.

33 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I thought his performances lacked a real consistency, but never though a lack of effort tbh. 

When we saw genuine good movement ahead of him in Afobe for that small period he flourished. 

As you say, was an Ashton/Johnson signing that didn’t quite work out, but was plenty of them. 

As above - lack of effort physically? No. But mentally? Yes, IMO.

He did have a few decent games with Afobe ahead of him, but is that enough? Not for me. It was literally about 3 games. And even then, I recall it being 3 games of "promise" as opposed to concrete output. 

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Got any examples?

Think he was victim of being signed by a club that didn’t need him, didn’t know how to play him and gave him a 4 year deal to boot. Now doing very well with a club who actually wanted him, and knew exactly how to use him whose style suits him far better too. 

And I’ll say it again, boring I know, but did so much for us when helping out with food bank deliveries over lockdown. But I guess that won’t matter to a decent chunk of fans because he was on loads of money and it wasn’t plastered all over social media 

Examples above.

Absolutely agree about being a poor signing from us, but I don't think Palmer helped himself. Wells is another player that I would say falls into the category of "expensive, unnecessary, and poorly thought out signing", but for me he made an effort to make it work in a way that Palmer didn't.
Obviously his performances for Luton are irrelevant to his time with us, but I think it's very generous to say he's doing "very well". 1700 mins this season, as many cards as goal contributions, and sub-subbed in the play-off final.

Nice of him to help with food deliveries, I'm sure he's an alright guy and I have nothing against him on a personal level. However, it's not relevant to my evaluation of him as a footballer. At the end of the day, I ask myself "did he give his very best for Bristol City?" and my answer has to be "probably not, no".

Edited by Supersonic Robin

2 minutes ago, redkev said:

Probably the worse championship play off final since City v Hull

Loved the game, closest we have ever come in my lifetime , just because the result wasn’t what we all wanted didn’t mean it wasn’t the most interested I was in a game (apart from England) 

People knocking these teams ?. Both considerably better than us over this season. And I’m sure the thought of them struggling is really going to bother them when they get to experience something that many of us haven’t experienced in our lifetime.