IGNORED

Playoffs

Super

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

For everyone thinking what a job pearson has done at city,, edwards, and mark robins, have been absolutely fantastic for their clubs given the struggles they have had.

I think Edwards has benefitted from the setup there in the same way as Jones did. Everyone thought they would struggle without Jones but they just continued.

It shows that promotion to the PL can be achieved without huge financial backing

• Like 2

It's also another team that made it back to the top flight before us. (for us 43 years and counting)

How many still-existing former top flight teams have a longer hiatus than us?

Can think of Orient (I think), Carlisle, a few knocking around in the lower leagues, but there can't be many with our stature.

Edited by OneCity
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneCity said:

It's also another team that made it back to the top flight before us. (for us 43 years and counting)

Can think of Orient (I think), Carlisle, a few knocking around in the lower leagues, but there can't be many with our stature.

Exactly what I'm thinking 

Yet another club goes past us.

When we beat Liverpool in 94, my uncle (who was about the same age as I am now) turned me and said:

"We're on our way back. It's been a long road, but we're on our way back"

We'd only been out the top flight 14 years at that point! That's shorter than the gap between now and the play-off final...

FFS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

7 minutes ago, OneCity said:

I can think of only Preston. I believe they have been waiting for more than 50 years ?

Preston another if I recall correctly, ourselves, Millwall, and Plymouth - the four biggest.

Can add Northampton to that list. Brentford were another that had been far longer than us, but not any more. What about Preston? 62 years and counting. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

Exactly what I'm thinking 

Yet another club goes past us.

When we beat Liverpool in 94, my uncle (who was about the same age as I am now) turned me and said:

"We're on our way back. It's been a long road, but we're on our way back"

We'd only been out the top flight 14 years at that point! That's shorter than the gap between now and the play-off final...

FFS.

Luton definitely have more exciting times than us: Division One after we were last there and now back in the top tier, won the league cup, 30 point deduction and non league.

My optimistic side holds onto the fact that at least another team that was in non league football in last decade, with a ramshackle ground (apologies to Kenilworth Road for the comparison), isn’t showing signs of getting to the Prem anytime soon. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I reckon their home form will keep them up, nobody is going to want to go to Kenilworth Rd with the small pitch, their press and physicality. Away they’ll get battered by better footballing teams

Their away form this season was slightly better than their home form. At home Luton only managed one more point than City 

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Preston another if I recall correctly, ourselves, Millwall, and Plymouth - the four biggest.

I don't care what anyone says but we are substantially the biggest club not to have made the PL, well out on our own in the table of underperformance 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

For everyone thinking what a job pearson has done at city,, edwards, and mark robins, have been absolutely fantastic for their clubs given the struggles they have had.

Robins taking over at Cov when in Div 4 , you can't argue he's done a great job and has a style about him while building the team year on year. The sort of man you'd want here in the future, if he hasn't gone on to bigger things. 
Rob Edwards has done well , FGR then Luton. But Luton were in a decent position TBF. Experienced from last year and in about 8th when he took over, credit for around 50% win ratio, but what Nige took over here is the complete other end of the scale. We were approaching basket case levels, Luton were expected Playoff contenders.

• Like 1

A tip of a ground, the last fifteen years or so, nowhere of any consequence due to financial irregularities, a dump of a town.

Yet again we sit here and watch a poxy little town, a financial fiddling club etc and etc, get to the promised land before us.

I don't think we should get there just because we're a big city but to see the minnows from Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton, Luton, and plenty more getting to the top tier really does hurt. 80 next birthday and I've seen us there for four years. Followed by three successive relegations and bankruptcy. Jealous? No just so pissed off it hurts!

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Incomparable . Pearson came having to slash a wage bill , get rid of half a squad that didn’t want to be here but we’re on good money & turn around a very pissed off fanbase .  Edwards went into a club on the up who were in the play offs last year. If your going to chat bollocks at least have some context 

You always chat shit when you hide behind a keyboard. Ok pearson hsas done a better job than both of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Plymouth have never been in the top flight. Over their full history PNE’s honours way ahead of others, but lots of it relatively dim and distant, so guess not necessarily bigger than us/others. 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

Congratulations to Luton . Hope they enjoy the Prem. It’s what all championship clubs strive for and they’re gonna make a few quid . Hope they look after their fans and don’t do a Fulham with sky high prices . 

Well, if they screw them over it will only be 9 thousand of them !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1