IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

31 minutes ago, Searles said:

You can hear the wobble in MAs voice

'Jon and I VIGOROUSLY interviewed four candidates'

Don't forget whilst he VIGOROUSLY massaged Jon and Steve's ego he was VIGOROUSLY talking with the Arizona Fire Fighters Pension Fund

VIGOROUS *****

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In fairness I think on that occasion he was having to justify a decision (made by SL) that he didn't agree with. 

I think you are right kid, one thing is for sure SL would have had a big say on Holdens appointment. We also need to remember that Tinnion and Millen were appointed managers here long before Mark Ashton was ever involved in the club, Steve has past history of these horrendous appointments.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, petehinton said:

”interviewed 4 people on a number of occasions” - why would you need to interview a manager ‘a number of times’? You’d know their style of play at the very least, so if you needed a number of times you’re probably outing yourself that you know nothing about them, and probably making them lose interest in the job themselves. 

That was the bit that never made sense Pete, especially when we 99.99% confident Hughton was one of them.  If he gave you the right answers when you first talked, what changed?

I’m pretty sure it was down to Hughton wanting to replace the squad with players he wanted…so how come it took 2 or 3 chats to realise that?

Amateurs!

I had no problem with Holden, I’ll get behind anyone as City manager, but there’s no way he was the best person for the job unless the qualifications were are you called Dean, have you worked at this club and do you wear chinos.

I think Dean was given a marvellous opportunity but he wasn’t backed.  Bullshit around backing him with recruitment.

If the stories are true about one of the others being Paul Cook and I’ve no reason to believe they aren’t, he basically saw through their amateur hour too.

Never did work out who the fourth was.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Listening to the interview, a few things crossed my mind. 

Negotiations are on going with a couple players right now. 

Kalas and DaSilva both been offered contracts. Kalas recently and DaSilva back in January. 

If neither have given answers yet, then I'm guessing the two players we are negotiating with aren't in the same positions as Kakas and DaSilva...or using money from their wages or sales. 

NP also gave a hint that he would still like Scott here and a glimmer that he might still be, if a massive amount of ££££s weren't offered and it wasn't good for all parties. 

In planning for next season...it leaves a bit of a conundrum. 

Planning a team with Scott...or planning a team without Scott. 

The longer it goes on not knowing, the harder it will become to plan around his departure or him staying. 

A last minute say £35 million bid at the end of the transfer window. What good would that money be then? No time to plan for a replacement...unless those concerns have been covered and replacements pin pointed to go for last minute. 

That's my only concern...that if Scott goes, it's too late in the transfer window to get an adequate replacement deal done in time for the new season. 

My reading of it Spud is that:

- Kalas: Nige wants to keep, but only on much reduced terms, he’s proved he can play again, albeit less minutes than he’d hoped.  Will take TK to come down to club’s level for him to resign, much as Nige wants him.

- Dasilva: offer of contract in January…factual…but also shows club hasn’t budged, and Dasilva will try his luck elsewhere, because he can get something better as a free agent.  That’s life.

Re the Alex Scott situation, I like that Nige hasn’t given up on him staying, and I think most of the planning will be for him staying.  With Weimann and Mehmeti capable of playing no10 I don’t think it’s too pressured on getting like for like.  Still think recruitment is based on 2 CBs, a CM and a LB.

Might be miles off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My reading of it Spud is that:

- Kalas: Nige wants to keep, but only on much reduced terms, he’s proved he can play again, albeit less minutes than he’d hoped.  Will take TK to come down to club’s level for him to resign, much as Nige wants him.

- Dasilva: offer of contract in January…factual…but also shows club hasn’t budged, and Dasilva will try his luck elsewhere, because he can get something better as a free agent.  That’s life.

Re the Alex Scott situation, I like that Nige hasn’t given up on him staying, and I think most of the planning will be for him staying.  With Weimann and Mehmeti capable of playing no10 I don’t think it’s too pressured on getting like for like.  Still think recruitment is based on 2 CBs, a CM and a LB.

Might be miles off.

Mine too, think we’re after a central defender whether Kalas stays or not.

Can’t see Dasilva staying, either.

McCrorie & O’Brien are the likeliest two deals nearing completion.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Listening to the interview, a few things crossed my mind. 

Negotiations are on going with a couple players right now. 

Kalas and DaSilva both been offered contracts. Kalas recently and DaSilva back in January. 

If neither have given answers yet, then I'm guessing the two players we are negotiating with aren't in the same positions as Kakas and DaSilva...or using money from their wages or sales. 

NP also gave a hint that he would still like Scott here and a glimmer that he might still be, if a massive amount of ££££s weren't offered and it wasn't good for all parties. 

In planning for next season...it leaves a bit of a conundrum. 

Planning a team with Scott...or planning a team without Scott. 

The longer it goes on not knowing, the harder it will become to plan around his departure or him staying. 

A last minute say £35 million bid at the end of the transfer window. What good would that money be then? No time to plan for a replacement...unless those concerns have been covered and replacements pin pointed to go for last minute. 

That's my only concern...that if Scott goes, it's too late in the transfer window to get an adequate replacement deal done in time for the new season. 

Re a very late bid for Alex Scott, it could happen and that could be because club X would not pay what we asked for and moved to other targets, they fall through and they come back in with a premium offer albeit very late.

In that scenario my guess is that we would take the money. If the whole thing drags on other the summer we may have a discontented player to re-motivate.

Best scenario is that he does well in the U20 WC, which triggers a bidding war that is resolved by mid- July at latest.

I really don’t see him here for next season sadly, but the upside is of course we can massively cash in.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Big changes in BBC “local” radio, i.e. it’s not going to be local anymore past 2pm weekdays or on weekends. Regional at best. So how that works with local sport I have no idea. All part of shifting resources from radio to digital apparently, but really just about saving money, even though local radio is “cheap as chips” compared to pretty much everything else they produce.

I'm not sure if anyone has listened to radio Bristol on a Saturday afternoon via an app, it switches to an EFL show 

It was literally the same as soccer Saturday on SSN but without the pictures 

It was an awful listen, I hope that isn't the future 

• Like 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Re a very late bid for Alex Scott, it could happen and that could be because club X would not pay what we asked for and moved to other targets, they fall through and they come back in with a premium offer albeit very late.

In that scenario my guess is that we would take the money. If the whole thing drags on other the summer we may have a discontented player to re-motivate.

Best scenario is that he does well in the U20 WC, which triggers a bidding war that is resolved by mid- July at latest.

I really don’t see him here for next season sadly, but the upside is of course we can massively cash in.

If the whispers from behind the scenes are true Alex will have no problem representing City for one more season 

But I believe if he does leave City will be pushing for him to be loaned back to us for next season 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

If the whispers from behind the scenes are true Alex will have no problem representing City for one more season 

But I believe if he does leave City will be pushing for him to be loaned back to us for next season 

Would love one more season, for us to buck the trend of not selling when we don’t have to.

This summer is gonna have some twists and turns isn’t it?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And SL didn’t get him…wow, the chuckle brothers went for Holden.

That's the second time he's applied. The first time it was considered he wasn't experienced enough (figure that one out!) 

The most recent time I believe it may have been the compo SISU would have demanded that we were unwilling to pay for someone that was considered a risky appointment.

At that time Robins was more than willing to leave Coventry due to their stadium situation and them being owned by SISU. 

When SL spoke about Robins the other week to me it sounded like there may have been some regret in his voice. 

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

That's the second time he's applied. The first time it was considered he wasn't experienced enough (figure that one out!) 

The most recent time I believe it may have been the compo SISU would have demanded that we were unwilling to pay for someone that was considered a risky appointment.

At that time Robins was more than willing to leave Coventry due to their stadium situation and them being owned by SISU. 

When SL spoke about Robins the other week to me it sounded like there may have been some regret in his voice. 

When McInnes got it?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would love one more season, for us to buck the trend of not selling when we don’t have to.

But unless he signs a contract extension we do have to sell him don't we? Unless we want to run the risk of having him 12 months away from being OOC this time next summer and reducing the fee we get?

Pretty sure Holden wasn’t Steve’s choice.

Steve did an interview post-Holden where he said something along the lines that short term success doesn’t necessarily reflect in long term achievement. Think he was alluding to the fact that Holden got off to a flier and then - predictably in Steve’s mind - it fell apart (although injuries were a factor to be fair to Holden). Steve said it in a way that it was pretty obvious someone had said to him ‘told you so’ in justifying their decision when Holden was initially doing well. 

I‘d speculate that Jon and Ashton were the two behind the appointment. Jon likely on the basis of a non-confrontational manager and, critically, Ashton to ensure his almost complete control of the Club - Steve was implementing his own exit strategy by taking a back seat in Club affairs at that time - was not threatened. I could be totally wrong, but the snippets that Steve lets out make me think quite possibly not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

But unless he signs a contract extension we do have to sell him don't we? Unless we want to run the risk of having him 12 months away from being OOC this time next summer and reducing the fee we get?

He’s been offered a new contract here don’t forget.…can only assume that’s not just a pay rise commensurate with being a starboy, but also an extension in term too.

(I don’t think we’d just keep him under existing contract, if that makes sense)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

And what there is, could easily be provided in the commercial sector. Commercial radio is never going to give lower league football the prominence it gets on BBC local radio at present. 

What does me in the most is the bbc news clique, more often the content on radio 4 is far superior yet somehow were lumbered with the same thick TV presenter's putting a spin on it rather than any kind of analysis.  Radio content seems so much deeper across the board.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have a feeling he might stay one more year.

£25m asking price could price him out of deal. 

Ward Prouse at Southampton will move for 25m ish so on paper that looks a better deal.

Hope he goes and we get a loan back. Circa 20m would still be a pretty decent deal. Brighton could have the money if they sell  2 players. 

27 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Ward Prouse at Southampton will move for 25m ish so on paper that looks a better deal.

Hope he goes and we get a loan back. Circa 20m would still be a pretty decent deal. Brighton could have the money if they sell  2 players. 

Ward Prowse is good but he's 28 and is probably at his peak, Alex will likely still improve. Quite different propositions. Ward Prowse may also have a relegation release clause, lowering the asking price.

For Brighton people are talking about 70 million EACH for Caicedo and Mac Allister (I don't think it will be this high) but I am sure they could afford Alex at 25 million, even without selling.

37 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Scott for £25m is a hell of a better deal than Ward-Prowse for £25m ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Anyone getting Ward-Prowse for £25 million is stealing a player

• Like 2