IGNORED

Nigel Pearson on Sounds of the City

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

But in all honesty, the last 2/3 months of the season weren't his best and of course he had probably his worse game for the club versus Burnley in the last home game.

Need to factor in the opponent…the best team in the Championship and some…and a lot of the game chasing the ball with no time on it when he got it.  They isolated him and swarmed him.  Clever.  No other team has really had the quality / nous to execute that.  The middle of the pitch was impossible to play through first half.  It wasn’t until we switched to a diamond that he found different areas of the pitch to play in, albeit was then subbed.

FWIW I thought his pressing / channel blocking first half was exemplary.

In a game where we don’t get much quality possession, Scott can be wasted (OTT word) as a no10…you need to get him on the ball deeper…would’ve been more effective playing with James, rather than Andy King imho.

58 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

All good points @Percy Pig.

It's certainly been good to have a player that everyone talks about.

I do wonder whether Conway will be similar in a year or two? Going to be an interesting contract discussion around him soon. Like Scott 2 years left on his deal, and probably not on the greatest amount of wages.

Yes, I know he's local; and loves the club etc. But like Pring, we need to lock these players down for a few more years after 2025.

For me, purely because he is a striker, Tommy could actually have a greater impact than Scott, weird as that sounds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 15/05/2023 at 21:30, Davefevs said:

Would love one more season, for us to buck the trend of not selling when we don’t have to.

This summer is gonna have some twists and turns isn’t it?

There has to be at least one season where we put a full stop to selling on our best talent ( young or old ) and have a crack at getting to the play offs other wise the wheel is just gonna keep turning , with our current side ( if we did manage to keep Scott) with a few decent additions next year could be a good time to start

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

To be fair, a lot of that has come from playing Scott in the 10, he had significantly more impact from deeper positions. 

Also, he's created 89 shot opportunities if you look at the Vyner Wells thread posted by Spud. 

Perfectly conceivable that with a 20% conversion rate he could have close to 20 assists this season! 

It's all academic, but Scott is the best player we've had in my lifetime. Retaining him alongside some other significant additions in defence and midfield would leave us in a very strong position to challenge at the top end of the league.

But it won't happen and we will have to move on without him (I actually think that's one of the reasons why Nige moved him to the 10 position. To see how our team could adapt without the most "press resistant" central midfielder in the league.

I don’t think he’s a 10 TBH

12 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I get that in the short term.

But I remember how it turned out with Jack Clarke when he went back to Leeds from Tottenham. It depends on how we are planning for next season.

One of the points that NP makes clear is the need for more goals from midfield. It's fair to say this is an area of Scott's game that he needs to improve on. If by playing Scott you aren't playing one of those players that you specifically bought in to do that job then tough decisions would have to be made.

I love Scott, and it's been a pleasure to see his development over the last two seasons. But in all honesty, the last 2/3 months of the season weren't his best and of course he had probably his worse game for the club versus Burnley in the last home game. Whether all the press, media nonsense has got to him, I can't say; but his stock will never be higher than what it is now.

Like when Semenyo left, others have had to step up to the plate. Having Conway back was like a new signing, but collectively as a team we still only scored 4 goals in our last 8 away games. Winning 4 of our last 13 games after the Man City cup game. A lot of those games Scott played in, don't forget. Yes it was a collective issue across the team, but Scott was part of that issue unfortunately,

How can you possibly know that "his stock will never be higher". If he gets the expected move to the Premier, and has a good season then his stock will most certainly be higher than it is now.

Listening to that Ashton segment back again is as riveting as it is nauseating. 

GT had him sussed and knew exactly the questions to ask, the first one being, “what’s the logic of sacking your head coach and appointing one of his assistants?”. Straight in!

If anyone had any doubts on how much we have moved on in the last couple of years listen to this. 

I hope MA gets the welcome he deserves next season. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, One Team said:

Listening to that Ashton segment back again is as riveting as it is nauseating. 

GT had him sussed and knew exactly the questions to ask, the first one being, “what’s the logic of sacking your head coach and appointing one of his assistants?”. Straight in!

If anyone had any doubts on how much we have moved on in the last couple of years listen to this. 

I hope MA gets the welcome he deserves next season. 

He won't make the trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Team said:

I think his ego is too big not too! ?

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, however he knows what a monumental cockup he made here, and is well aware that a lot of people (staff, board, supporters) were onto him before he left. The extent of the mess he left behind, has been made clear since he foxtrot oscared out of here.

Portman Road, yeah he'll be there, may be low-key, but he'll be there. Ashton Gate, not so sure about that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Taz said:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, however he knows what a monumental cockup he made here, and is well aware that a lot of people (staff, board, supporters) were onto him before he left. The extent of the mess he left behind, has been made clear since he foxtrot oscared out of here.

Portman Road, yeah he'll be there, may be low-key, but he'll be there. Ashton Gate, not so sure about that.

He's a narcissist so possibly not that self aware. He may even want to do a lap of honour so us adoring fans can show our thanks for all he did for us.?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

For anyone that doesn't see this before it gets edited, they have literally just re-shared an old story

Or more likely, they've written a new story but the CMS for the website is poor at handling stories with the same headline (and slug as used in the URL) and so people are viewing the old article when clicking the link to the article.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, redkev said:

There has to be at least one season where we put a full stop to selling on our best talent ( young or old ) and have a crack at getting to the play offs other wise the wheel is just gonna keep turning , with our current side ( if we did manage to keep Scott) with a few decent additions next year could be a good time to start

Unfortunately that is wishful thinking I’m afraid.

There are two reasons why, money and ambition.

Regarding money, we still run at a huge loss, so any bid for any player that meets the clubs valuation will be seriously considered - the later point is the same the world over, every player has their price. You also have to the financial impact on the player, they are professional sports people, in the main they do not support the club they play for, it’s a job. If they are made aware, usually by their agent, that another club is prepared to pay them multiples of their current wage to move and ply their trade there, it is most likely they will want to leave.

The point regarding ambition is a simple one, most, if not all professional sports people are hugely competitive, they are unlikely to be where they are unless they have that characteristic. It is therefore completely understandable for them to test themselves at the highest level possible, this is more pertinent to younger players  who want to see how far they can go.

For clubs below the EPL, these are the facts unless you have PP’s and can keep players financially content whilst you try for promotion.

For clubs like us the secret, and it’s difficult to achieve, is develop talent whether that is by clever recruitment or the academy and hope that the stars align in a particular season.

If you take the example of the 4 clubs in the playoffs this year, two are loaded with EPL loan players - expensive and blocks pathways, the other two have done extremely well, but would you bet on them being top six next season should they not be promoted.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, trickytimes said:

How can you possibly know that "his stock will never be higher". If he gets the expected move to the Premier, and has a good season then his stock will most certainly be higher than it is now.

In terms of us, ie he is the new guy on the block all PL are supposedly looking at. If we were looking to sell, now woukd be the best time to maximise his potential.

It'll be someone else next season, and injuries/form/entering into last year of contact post season could all play a part on his valuation.

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

In terms of us, ie he is the new guy on the block all PL are supposedly looking at. If we were looking to sell, now woukd be the best time to maximise his potential.

It'll be someone else next season, and injuries/form/entering into last year of contact post season could all play a part on his valuation.

I think the reality is that if Alex Scott is still here beyond the summer it’s because he has signed a new deal (with whatever clauses) for a term beyond 2025….so I don’t think he ever gets to next summer with just a year left.

On an aside, I am noticing a trend for our younger players to be offered fixed end contracts, no option clause, which I think shows clarity in the clubs thinking about securing assets.  The year option doesn’t really seem to have given us any benefit for the youngsters.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Owura and Dylan this week.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the reality is that if Alex Scott is still here beyond the summer it’s because he has signed a new deal (with whatever clauses) for a term beyond 2025….so I don’t think he ever gets to next summer with just a year left.

On an aside, I am noticing a trend for our younger players to be offered fixed end contracts, no option clause, which I think shows clarity in the clubs thinking about securing assets.  The year option doesn’t really seem to have given us any benefit for the youngsters.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Owura and Dylan this week.

Edwards feels like one that 5 years ago we would have given a 3 year deal but not sure we will now.

Had an OK season in SPL which I would say is between league 1/Championship standard, however he is now 22 and doesn't feel like he's anywhere near the first team picture.

Gut feel is he goes but may end up being one that makes a decent career at L1/Championship level

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

Edwards feels like one that 5 years ago we would have given a 3 year deal but not sure we will now.

Had an OK season in SPL which I would say is between league 1/Championship standard, however he is now 22 and doesn't feel like he's anywhere near the first team picture.

Gut feel is he goes but may end up being one that makes a decent career at L1/Championship level

Yeah, with Bakinson, we exercised option and then got a small fee.  I wonder if we will do the same here?  Dunno how to call it.

22 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I can see Tommy Conway being in demand a year from now.

Good break through season under his belt with 38 games and 12 goals. The total minutes he played was 2105 so an average of 55 minutes per game. Thats a big goal return ratio from a 19 now 20 year old at this level. Hopefully he has a big pre-season, I think he has 20+ goals next season in him.

If Benarous can get over his ACL injuries and get in a good pre-season, he's another that could be in demand by the end of the season. 

Sam Bell needs to use this pre-season to build up his upper body strength and use his body on the ball to better effect. If he can do that, he's another young player that could attract some attention and also score a few next season.

I've personally not seen any others in the U21s that come close to their potential tbh, but Tinnion reckons that there are some standout 15/16 year olds coming through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I get that in the short term.

But I remember how it turned out with Jack Clarke when he went back to Leeds from Tottenham. It depends on how we are planning for next season.

One of the points that NP makes clear is the need for more goals from midfield. It's fair to say this is an area of Scott's game that he needs to improve on. If by playing Scott you aren't playing one of those players that you specifically bought in to do that job then tough decisions would have to be made.

I love Scott, and it's been a pleasure to see his development over the last two seasons. But in all honesty, the last 2/3 months of the season weren't his best and of course he had probably his worse game for the club versus Burnley in the last home game. Whether all the press, media nonsense has got to him, I can't say; but his stock will never be higher than what it is now.

Like when Semenyo left, others have had to step up to the plate. Having Conway back was like a new signing, but collectively as a team we still only scored 4 goals in our last 8 away games. Winning 4 of our last 13 games after the Man City cup game. A lot of those games Scott played in, don't forget. Yes it was a collective issue across the team, but Scott was part of that issue unfortunately,

Oh dear, we've just gone through three years of misery and living on the financial edge of FFP when we avoided FFP points deductions and the subsequent relegation. In that time we have relied on a few more elder statesmen and a never ending supply of very promising Academy graduates. So we finished comfortably in mid table with several long term injured unable to help out.

I believe that we played some very decent football losing against the two automatic promotion sides but actually playing very well in both matches..

Cheer up mate as City are still in the Championship instead of League Two and now recruiting for what will be a good next season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I've personally not seen any others in the U21s that come close to their potential tbh, but Tinnion reckons that there are some standout 15/16 year olds coming through.

Think the next “crop” includes Araoye, Knight-Lebel, Palmer-Houlden and Morrison (and others), so we’ve got some almost there, even if the crop after that at 15-16 and a bit further away.  The likes of OTC have probably gained themselves a year by shining when given an opportunity.

Think it allows us to be a bit ruthless with the current crop, because of what’s behind them.

Glad you mentioned Benarous, I tend to forget him.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the next “crop” includes Araoye, Knight-Lebel, Palmer-Houlden and Morrison (and others), so we’ve got some almost there, even if the crop after that at 15-16 and a bit further away.  The likes of OTC have probably gained themselves a year by shining when given an opportunity.

Think it allows us to be a bit ruthless with the current crop, because of what’s behind them.

Glad you mentioned Benarous, I tend to forget him.  

I forgot about Araoye, not seen a lot of him, but he looked good last pre-season against Bournemouth when he was 17. Didn't look at all out of place.

I tend to agree about the current crop, but I'm sure some of them will have a decent career maybe somewhere else, just as Towler is doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I forgot about Araoye, not seen a lot of him, but he looked good last pre-season against Bournemouth when he was 17. Didn't look at all out of place.

I tend to agree about the current crop, but I'm sure some of them will have a decent career maybe somewhere else, just as Towler is doing.

Yep, I see any player that comes through our academy that has an EFL career as being a success.  Those who play our level or higher is just amazing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Oh dear, we've just gone through three years of misery and living on the financial edge of FFP when we avoided FFP points deductions and the subsequent relegation. In that time we have relied on a few more elder statesmen and a never ending supply of very promising Academy graduates. So we finished comfortably in mid table with several long term injured unable to help out.

I believe that we played some very decent football losing against the two automatic promotion sides but actually playing very well in both matches..

Cheer up mate as City are still in the Championship instead of League Two and now recruiting for what will be a good next season.

On the contrary, happy with last season and the fact that the run Jan-March took us away from the trouble that looked like happening after the WBA on Boxing day. I was never been part of the NP out brigade, and stuck to my guns against Ian on the FBC podcast throughout the difficult times.

More a  statement of how we move forward from 14th this season to upper half/playoffs next season.

The lack of goals in the team beyond the forwards is something that obviously needs addressing.

32 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

For clubs like us the secret, and it’s difficult to achieve, is develop talent whether that is by clever recruitment or the academy and hope that the stars align in a particular season.

Indeed we await the 'golden season', where as you say the stars align.

The season where we get our fair share of penalty decisions, not too many important players out with long term injuries, and our team of youngsters matures with the more experienced players and gels into a promotion winning unit.

Just like AD's team in 76 though, of course, these days every season starts with some players having left, and several new signings to be bedded in; in those days the team changed little over several seasons as a fairly settled team matured together and just got better and better until promotion was the next natural progression. 

We know the club will always sell it's most saleable assets whether it be Scott this summer or the likes of Conway or Pring in the medium future, although perhaps sooner than we anticipate.

Under those circumstances, anyone - whether it be City fans, or SL himself - with the mindset that NP is expected to get top 6 next season or face questions about his future is bonkers.

I've no faith Bristol City will ever go up through the play offs anyway so to my mind we will need to go up automatically.

Meanwhile I'm content for City to be a solid, competitive and improving Championship club playing entertaining football, to keep bringing through the youngsters, enjoy watching them progress, and be patient.

The Championship is an enjoyable division to be in with a competent manager and competitive team and we now have both. 

After what for me were years of mostly frustration and boredom under LJ & DH we finally have a City manager who has transformed the club with a squad of players who are worth getting excited about, and both they and he are worthy of our support.

If the fans and, particularly the owner, can just settle back and enjoy the many renewed positives of watching City without exerting excessive pressure for a top 6 finish, and we all keep faith with Nige, that golden season may not be too far off.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 4

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I can see Tommy Conway being in demand a year from now.

Good break through season under his belt with 38 games and 12 goals. The total minutes he played was 2105 so an average of 55 minutes per game. Thats a big goal return ratio from a 19 now 20 year old at this level. Hopefully he has a big pre-season, I think he has 20+ goals next season in him.

If Benarous can get over his ACL injuries and get in a good pre-season, he's another that could be in demand by the end of the season. 

Sam Bell needs to use this pre-season to build up his upper body strength and use his body on the ball to better effect. If he can do that, he's another young player that could attract some attention and also score a few next season.

I think you are spot on regarding Tommy Conway, he looks like the real deal.

If we don’t go up next term it’s likely he attract the attention of the EPL.

Out of about twenty or so City managers, he is the one who tries to communicate honestly with the fans. In my early days we never heard any comments, only snippets and tit bits in the local newspapers. The first we knew about injuries, signings, in fact everything about the Club, were printed in the Evening Post and Evening World. Only those who worked in the club or were close family or friends got to know anything before it hit the press. 

Gradually at first and since the internet arrived we've so much knowledge about who might be coming or going and what went right or wrong in matches. Nigel Pearson is being as outspoken and honest as he can be, but without hanging players or throwing them under buses!

I am more hopeful for the club to be aiming at the upper end of the spectrum in the coming months and new season as I have for a long, long time. Probably the most optimistic since Alan Dicks in the mid seventies and Terry Cooper in the years after we got promotion from Division Four. Really looking forward to next season.

• Like 1