IGNORED

Hargreaves v Lansdown

REDOXO

SL has sold much of his holding in HL over recent years to rebuild the stadium, pay off BCFC debts, and to pay for the upcoming sporting quarter project plus his Botswana projects.

One of the truths of football ownership is that if you want to buy a football club and end up with a small fortune.......start off with a large one!

as SL can testify.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Was just listening to the radio and they mentioned the Times Rich List. 

SL is worth 1.18 Bn according to them

Hargreaves is worth 1.8 bn. LJ and MA have some explaining to do!!

?

How does that compare to the very nice man with an even nicer watch?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

SL has sold much of his holding in HL over recent years to rebuild the stadium, pay off BCFC debts, and to pay for the upcoming sporting quarter project plus his Botswana projects.

One of the truths of football ownership is that if you want to buy a football club and end up with a small fortune.......start off with a large one!

as SL can testify.

I’ve wondered what his Botswana projects are? I see Mrs L always retweeting safari stuff, so I guess they have interest/own a hotel over there but what else?  Also, what is Jon up to in the Caribbean?! 

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I’ve wondered what his Botswana projects are? I see Mrs L always retweeting safari stuff, so I guess they have interest/own a hotel over there but what else?  Also, what is Jon up to in the Caribbean?! 

Doesn't SL have interest in countless other businesses, aviation and  electronics? 

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hargreaves owns 20% of HL, Lansdown owns 5.7%. That's the difference.

Shares in HL have fallen by two thirds in value over the last four years, so Steve was wise to get out. Hargreaves has been railing against the terrible record of the current management. More fool him for NOT diversifying.

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Shares in HL have fallen by two thirds in value over the last four years, so Steve was wise to get out. Hargreaves has been railing against the terrible record of the current management. More fool him for NOT diversifying.

Depends what Steve did with it. I don't think he really cares as long as it funds his projects whereas Hargreaves is a bit of a miser as far as I led to believe and wants to extract as much as possible. Let's face it if SL wanted to make lots more money he could have found a better way of doing it than owning a sports conglomerate but the image that's put across is a father that wanted to spend time with his son doing something his son was interested in - can't kick him for that, the problem comes is that I think SL likes business and JL actually likes football which aren't the same thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Depends what Steve did with it. I don't think he really cares as long as it funds his projects whereas Hargreaves is a bit of a miser as far as I led to believe and wants to extract as much as possible. Let's face it if SL wanted to make lots more money he could have found a better way of doing it than owning a sports conglomerate but the image that's put across is a father that wanted to spend time with his son doing something his son was interested in - can't kick him for that, the problem comes is that I think SL likes business and JL actually likes football which aren't the same thing.

Yes, I was only challenging the view that Hargreaves is better off because he kept a bigger stake in HL. In fact that will have reduced his comparable net worth. SL may have wasted money on his hobbies, but he would have lost a chunk of it if he’d left it in HL anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What is this thread even about? ?

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The OP telling everyone that someone who has invested in a football club now has less money than someone who didn’t.

You chaps have noticed we are up for sale and/or at a minimum encouraging new investment?

Mr Lansdowns net worth and other investments should be of interest to most of us. But maybe not you guys!?

Edited by REDOXO

• Admin
45 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You chaps have noticed we are up for sale and/or at a minimum encouraging new investment?

Mr Lansdowns net worth and other investments should be of interest to most of us. But maybe not you guys!?

I'm lost about the reference to LJ and MA

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm lost about the reference to LJ and MA

It was a joke about where his money went, that’s why there was a little winking thingy! As the bloke said above. 

Hope that gets you back on the straight and narrow. 

Edited by REDOXO

Lansdown probably is happy he's taken most of his shares out of the company. It's reputation does seem to have gone downhill in the last decade with a number of problems including the lawsuit about the Woodford's equity income fund last year.  

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/16/hargreaves-lansdown-hit-by-lawsuit-on-behalf-of-woodford-fund-investors#:~:text=Hargreaves Lansdown%2C a top British,thousands of investors nursing losses.

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Lansdown probably is happy he's taken most of his shares out of the company. It's reputation does seem to have gone downhill in the last decade with a number of problems including the lawsuit about the Woodford's equity income fund last year.  

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/16/hargreaves-lansdown-hit-by-lawsuit-on-behalf-of-woodford-fund-investors#:~:text=Hargreaves Lansdown%2C a top British,thousands of investors nursing losses.

His name's still above the door and he owns nearly 6% of the shares as the third biggest shareholder. He's not exactly gotten shot of it or severed ties. Share price might have dropped but they are still reading at £8 a share for a market cap of £3.7bn. A dividend yield of near 5% won't be doing him any harm either.

• Like 1