IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

I think the issue is that neither Pring or Vyner have signed new contracts.  With just one year to go on their contracts, I think the focus on defensive signings includes some forward planning in case they don't sign.

I hope they both sign but, just as QPR's hand was forced with Dickie, we are in a similar situation with both Pring and Vyner.  I'd be really disappointed to lose Pring so, fingers crossed, he will sign. I think he could play in the Premier League with his defensive and attacking attributes.  Vyner would also be a loss and they are both good athletes as well as excellent defenders. 

They are both probably waiting to weigh up options but I suspect they will either sign before the new season or move on. The Club won't want that uncertainty within the group or rely on bargain basement transfer fees in January.  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I think the issue is that neither Pring or Vyner have signed new contracts.  With just one year to go on their contracts, I think the focus on defensive signings includes some forward planning in case they don't sign.

I hope they both sign but, just as QPR's hand was forced with Dickie, we are in a similar situation with both Pring and Vyner.  I'd be really disappointed to lose Pring so, fingers crossed, he will sign. I think he could play in the Premier League with his defensive and attacking attributes.  Vyner would also be a loss and they are both good athletes as well as excellent defenders. 

They are both probably waiting to weigh up options but I suspect they will either sign before the new season or move on. The Club won't want that uncertainty within the group or rely on bargain basement transfer fees in January.  

Pring has an option too so technically he's with us till 2025. Vyner has one year left though as it stands.

It seems the Dickie signing maybe a case of a player of a similar quality to another target, becoming available at a much better price point. Maybe the same is true here, 29 year old Bryan + sign on + top wages V 21 year old with potential within a much better wage frame?

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think what you might be seeing here is an age group CB who’s gradually had to shift to a side defender as the physical nature of the position begins to influence, ie he’s not over-tall or “big”, so with his technical ability he’s moved to LB at “men’s level”.

Played mainly CB for Rochdale , but I think you're right , handy option though.
He's only a bit taller than me  , so doubtful he'd be our dominant CB.
TBH I hadn't realised he was only* 5'9" ish. 

?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Played mainly CB for Rochdale , but I think you're right , handy option though.
He's only a bit taller than me  , so doubtful he'd be our dominant CB.
TBH I hadn't realised he was only* 5'9" ish. 

?

Height data is flaky across most data providers.

43 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

It is a great point and what I come to say. Both would probably be sensible signings for a team like Luton or possibly sides coming down. Pring especially can see bigger clubs liking him. Not super gifted technically but athletically you won’t find many better. Add in his work rate I think you’ll have suitors. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo123 said:

BP saying he's likely to sign this week anyhow.

Forget about Bryan now, this is the player we need to get behind and putting emotions aside probably the more sensible deal for the football club.

Welcome Haydon.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-derby-county-free-8498360

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but there seems to have been past interest from clubs more competitive than ours: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/09/report-leeds-want-to-beat-rb-leipzig-to-sign-brightons-haydon-roberts/

Past links to Leipzig (despite them being a cancerous business model) are a pretty good sign, as recruitment of young players there is often very sharp. 

Wonder why his stock has fallen - if it has?

9 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but there seems to have been past interest from clubs more competitive than ours: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/09/report-leeds-want-to-beat-rb-leipzig-to-sign-brightons-haydon-roberts/

Past links to Leipzig (despite them being a cancerous business model) are a pretty good sign, as recruitment of young players there is often very sharp. 

Wonder why his stock has fallen - if it has?

One Brighton fan suggested Potter leaving halted his chances.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One Brighton fan suggested Potter leaving halted his chances.

Makes some sense, under Potter Brighton began to  stockpile young players (very successfully mind) so that shouldn't be too much of a blackmark on his career for not getting chances there.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not quite sure I align to the general feeling that he is the next target on the list below Bryan. 

For me he seems to be a CB who's played on the left for Derby. 

Yes I see this another sign we are looking at 3/5 at the back. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not quite sure I align to the general feeling that he is the next target on the list below Bryan. 

For me he seems to be a CB who's played on the left for Derby. 

Maybe not…my post was meant more that one door has closed, another one opens to look at it differently.  I never saw Joe coming in at LB, I saw him coming into a midfield / wide left role.  But if you sign Joe you don’t necessarily sign a “project LB” because their opportunities are gonna be very limited, 1) by Pring and 2) the ease to slot Bryan in there if Pring is injured, needs a rest, etc.  The project player might not want to come in that scenario.

But with Joe not coming, it allows City to open up to different options.

Recruitment is rarely as simple as a sequential list per position (I guess), as sometimes you chase a player because of their fit with someone else, and if you don’t get them you might have to change tack.

Supposedly Palmer was signed to feed Nketiah.  You can spot the flaws there you can’t you after Nketiah fell through!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe not…my post was meant more that one door has closed, another one opens to look at it differently.  I never saw Joe coming in at LB, I saw him coming into a midfield / wide left role.  But if you sign Joe you don’t necessarily sign a “project LB” because their opportunities are gonna be very limited, 1) by Pring and 2) the ease to slot Bryan in there if Pring is injured, needs a rest, etc.  The project player might not want to come in that scenario.

But with Joe not coming, it allows City to open up to different options.

Recruitment is rarely as simple as a sequential list per position (I guess), as sometimes you chase a player because of their fit with someone else, and if you don’t get them you might have to change tack.

Supposedly Palmer was signed to feed Nketiah.  You can spot the flaws there you can’t you after Nketiah fell through!

Palmer behind Weimann and Afobe seemed quite promising. Palmer behind Weimann and Diedhiou however!! Who knows how that setup might have flourished if not for the Afobe injury..although I had wider reservations about the sustainability of it all and whether we were absorbing too much pressure and could keep doing so.

Largely agree with your post though.

• Like 1

I’ve actually coached him, was with the community Elite groups (AITC) up until u14 when he eventually got into the academy, so as some say still a bit raw as he’s only had that academy environment for a short while compared to most. Was actually a CM before going in so can comfortably play multiple positions. Scores a few as well

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Surely the second brighton offer him a new contract we would automatically have to go to tribunal to agree a fee, why wouldnt they have done that??

Who knows but doubt they really care, they’re gunna get 100 mill + for Mac allister and Caicedo. Probably least of their worries

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Surely the second brighton offer him a new contract we would automatically have to go to tribunal to agree a fee, why wouldnt they have done that??

The only downside to that is that you might be left with a player on your books who nobody wants to pay the potential fee / compo on.  But for a club like Brighton the financial downside is probably negligible.  But there is a player in the middle of this too.

• Like 1