IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

So it sounds like he’s a CB who went on loan to Derby and they played him LB… sounds familiar to Lloyd Kelly? Happens to a lot of young centre backs where they get pushed to the full back position when stepping up to real first team duties. So I don’t think this is the end of any Joe Bryan links. As others have said this looks more like cover for Atkinson/Naismith (Kalas not signing) and he can slot in at LB too. The perfect signing imo, especially on a free. 

• Like 3

Just now, Negan said:

So it sounds like he’s a CB who went on loan to Derby and they played him LB… sounds familiar to Lloyd Kelly? Happens to a lot of young centre backs where they get pushed to the full back position when stepping up to real first team duties. So I don’t think this is the end of any Joe Bryan links. As others have said this looks more like cover for Atkinson/Naismith (Kalas not signing) and he can slot in at LB too. The perfect signing imo, especially on a free. 

He's not tall enough to play CB in a back 4, he's 5"8.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It all points towards a back 5 again which is a bit of a surprise 

It does seem like that. I wonder if the fact we were struggling to fit Weimann, Wells, Mehmeti and Sykes in their natural positions is a factor? 

Edit: Cornick too perhaps

Edited by mozo

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

It does seem like that. I wonder if the fact we were struggling to fit Weimann, Wells, Mehmeti and Sykes in their natural positions is a factor? 

Edit: Cornick too perhaps

Not sure RWB is where sykes plays best tbh

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, underhanded said:

I'm a bit confused, the forums usually pretty reticent to run with rumours when they come out. Yet, it seems like everyone has decided the Bryan deal is off, and the Roberts deal is happening - both being 100% true. Have I missed something? Are these both super reliable sources?

It’s come from a poster who has been spot on with transfers previously, ie, a reliable source. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, underhanded said:

I'm a bit confused, the forums usually pretty reticent to run with rumours when they come out. Yet, it seems like everyone has decided the Bryan deal is off, and the Roberts deal is happening - both being 100% true. Have I missed something? Are these both super reliable sources?

Yes to all of your questions!

• Haha 1

The more I think about it, the more exciting this deal is.

Young, up and coming player. Yes he's green, but we have Pring as first choice.

Bryan, top Championship player, but does have injury doubts.

Long term this deal will likely be best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

My Derby supporting mate said he can play left back, wing back and even CB if needed. The kid is really good. 
Feels this would be no Bryan. 

Signing Roberts looks like a "no Bryaner" decision.

I'll get my coat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, Negan said:

My first thoughts were about Kelly too.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Been playing at Derby. They were hoping to sign him up after his loan spell...

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/39915-haydon-roberts/page/7/#comments

Gerry Daly is deluded!

MWRam much more sensible!

IMG_7575.thumb.jpeg.0f42ffb9157ac451640a9c3bb6ebd6bf.jpegIMG_7576.thumb.jpeg.0ca51e784d6132d9d0f6fdd33e7a9ca6.jpeg

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Quick look on Transfermarkt and it looks like, over his whole career , he has played predominantly as a CB.
Carey & Kelly had spells at FB  before settling into a CB role. 

Good age and decent amount of games.

Screenshot2023-06-06at09_45_44.png.a74db4f548a165614b9d2be0014303ee.png

I think what you might be seeing here is an age group CB who’s gradually had to shift to a side defender as the physical nature of the position begins to influence, ie he’s not over-tall or “big”, so with his technical ability he’s moved to LB at “men’s level”.

My tweet from earlier for the obligatory data plus a lovely video!

I do remember him getting good plaudits on loan at Rochdale (they had some players the “fanalysts” on twitter liked - he was one of them), but he’d dropped off of my radar until I watched the final Lg1 day - Derby v Wednesday.

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t give you much more insight that he’s pretty quick, recovers position well through his pace.  He’s not a tackler, prefers to stand up and use his body…and he more than capable technically on the ball.  At 21, PL-Academy grounding, available for nothing (not even sure about compo - might be being released full stop), he’s a better proposition than Jack Currie for example.  England u17/18 too, so that’ll give an idea of youth pedigree.

Whether this has opened up because of the Joe Bryan situation, I’ve no idea, but on paper a very clever recruit.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Actually he said it was wrong for people to assume 4-3-3 is his preference. He prefers to play 2 up front with 1 behind.

I said about this before on here. 

People like to think Nige listened to their tactical knowledge by switching to 433 but the reality is we switched to it because Conway got injured. Up until that point none of us would have dropped Wells or Conway so the options were 352 or 442 and I don't think we had the players for 442. 

I've been saying for a while that I think we may possibly go back to 352 because Pearson does like to have the two strikers. 

• Like 2

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

People like to think Nige listened to their tactical knowledge by switching to 433 but the reality is we switched to it because Conway got injured. Up until that point none of us would have dropped Wells or Conway so the options were 352 or 442 and I don't think we had the players for 442. 

I've been saying for a while that I think we may possibly go back to 352 because Pearson does like to have the two strikers. 

And why I think we may end up with:

• a back 4
  • 2 up top / 1 behind

with the three behind very flexible.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me if we still went 4213 either. ??‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And why I think we may end up with:

• a back 4
  • 2 up top / 1 behind

with the three behind very flexible.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me if we still went 4213 either. ??‍♂️

I'm very excited Dave. 

Previously it seems we had to find a system to fit the players we had. Now it looks like we are recruiting in a way where we can play various systems as and when required. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gerry Daly is deluded!

MWRam much more sensible!

IMG_7575.thumb.jpeg.0f42ffb9157ac451640a9c3bb6ebd6bf.jpegIMG_7576.thumb.jpeg.0ca51e784d6132d9d0f6fdd33e7a9ca6.jpeg

I think what you might be seeing here is an age group CB who’s gradually had to shift to a side defender as the physical nature of the position begins to influence, ie he’s not over-tall or “big”, so with his technical ability he’s moved to LB at “men’s level”.

My tweet from earlier for the obligatory data plus a lovely video!

I do remember him getting good plaudits on loan at Rochdale (they had some players the “fanalysts” on twitter liked - he was one of them), but he’d dropped off of my radar until I watched the final Lg1 day - Derby v Wednesday.

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t give you much more insight that he’s pretty quick, recovers position well through his pace.  He’s not a tackler, prefers to stand up and use his body…and he more than capable technically on the ball.  At 21, PL-Academy grounding, available for nothing (not even sure about compo - might be being released full stop), he’s a better proposition than Jack Currie for example.  England u17/18 too, so that’ll give an idea of youth pedigree.

Whether this has opened up because of the Joe Bryan situation, I’ve no idea, but on paper a very clever recruit.

The only reservation I have is that him and Pring are very different - he's very defensively minded, Pring whilst capable defensively obviously his standout attributes are going forward.

Could be viewed as a healthy blend? I'm not sure, they aren't alike.

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My theory is we switched to it at half time vs Swansea in the FA Cup as they were playing us off the park and we need an extra man in midfield (Naismith) so we could get after them. It worked in the second half of that game and we stuck with it right up to QPR away

• Like 2