IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

3 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Another good signing, excuse my ignorance but we have signed 3 defenders, good ones. We also have Atkinson, Kalas, Naismith, Wilson, Pring, Vyner. I can get confused with precise positions of players but are we to heavy at the back now? 

I still think we need another cb if Kalas doesn't sign.

3 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Another good signing, excuse my ignorance but we have signed 3 defenders, good ones. We also have Atkinson, Kalas, Naismith, Wilson, Pring, Vyner. I can get confused with precise positions of players but are we to heavy at the back now? 

McCorie hasn’t been signed as a defender is my understanding ready between the lines on here. More like to be used as a defensive midfielder. Could be completely wrong on that though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Atkinson won’t be available before November, Kalas hasn’t signed a new deal, plus I doubt very much that Wilson will start next season with us.

We have Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, Naismith & Pring as definitely for next season, that’s at least one light.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Atkinson won’t be available before November, Kalas hasn’t signed a new deal, plus I doubt very much that Wilson will start next season with us.

We have Tanner, McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie, Naismith & Pring as definitely for next season, that’s at least one light.

When put like that Roberts seems a really clever acquisition given his left foot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cardy said:

When put like that Roberts seems a really clever acquisition given his left foot.

Don't know why, but on reading that I immediately thought of this.....

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Am I the only one who thinks Naismith is more likely to get pushed into a defensive midfield as a result of all the signings.  He looked much better there than at the back last season.  I feel it in me bone's...

It's my feeling as well.  Naismith works pretty well as the link man, getting the ball out of our final third and feeding more attack-minded players.  As the last line of defence, we have seen a few notable howlers from him, although admittedly they were mainly at the start of his City career. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Am I the only one who thinks Naismith is more likely to get pushed into a defensive midfield as a result of all the signings.  He looked much better there than at the back last season.  I feel it in me bone's...

No, I think pretty much everyone does!

Of course there is the Atkinson-injury period to overcome, but assuming we either retain or replace Kalas, I think most see Naismith playing in CM.

Personally I think he plays well in either defence or midfield.

Edited by Davefevs

18 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I assumed that's where he'd be playing, especially if we're sticking with a back 4.

The one frustration with signing so many versatile players is that it makes it very difficult to predict how we'll line up next season!

My thoughts FWIW:

2 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Yes, I think that's Naismith's best position for us. and where he'd start if everyone was fully fit. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play LCB whilst Atkinson is injured though.

19 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

McCorie hasn’t been signed as a defender is my understanding ready between the lines on here. More like to be used as a defensive midfielder. Could be completely wrong on that though.

I don't think McCrorie has been signed as a CB. Initially, I also thought he'd probably be signed as a defensive midfielder, but given how good Naismith has been there I can't see Naismith being benched. Also interesting to see the club present McCrorie as a defender, and to see him state that his best position is in defence.

Assuming a fully fit squad, I'd imagine Atkinson and Dickie start at CB with Naismith ahead of them in CDM. I can't really see any of those 3 being benched, nor can I see McCrorie not starting given his profile and what we've paid for him.

It leads me to wonder whether McCrorie has been signed to play RB. Aside from the fact that RB looks like the only "space" for him with a fully fit squad, he also has very similar physical attributes to Pring at LB, and it looks like Wilson may be out of favour, so perhaps signing a new RB could make sense.

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see McCrorie in CDM and Naismith at LCB whilst Atkinson is injured.

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yepp, I think we need (at least) 1 more defender. As it stands, I see the depth for our defence and midfield as:

image.png.469d90f16e9240eac8749a5fdbdf0530.png

(+ Wilson at RB which the app wouldn't let me include!)

I see a few gaps in cover at LB, CDM, and LCB.

• Looks like Roberts (if he signs) will act as cover for Pring at LB.
  • Perhaps we consider King (if he re-signs) as cover for Naismith? (or King as cover for James, allowing Williams to cover Naismith?)
  • Maybe we'll need another LCB to assist in covering Atkinson whilst he's injured? Maybe we'll hope that the versatility of the players we have will allow us to 'make do'? Maybe we feel we have an academy 

Conclusion - 1 more defender (Roberts) is a necessary addition. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign one more defender after that too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Kal played 3 league games and two Cup games at DM and apparently that's his established position now. ?

Also the case that we got 7 points from 9 in those 3 games & he was then out injured for the next 11, so highly likely he’d have had a decent run there otherwise.

• Like 12

Just now, Percy Pig said:

And then came back into the side at Centre half, where he was exemplary. As he has been all season, as he was when winning player of the year in a playoff side the season before. 

Just think it's weird that off the back of 3 league games people think our high profile centre half signing of 12 months ago and the main on pitch leader we have should move to the one position on the pitch he's never actually played before... 

I agree with exactly what you’re saying.

With a couple of ugly brutes at CB, I’d happily see Naismith in CM.  But I’d also happily see him at CB.  Wherever he plays the players in front of him get better positions to receive the ball.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with exactly what you’re saying.

With a couple of ugly brutes at CB, I’d happily see Naismith in CM.  But I’d also happily see him at CB.  Wherever he plays the players in front of him get better positions to receive the ball.

The new David Rennie?

• Like 2