IGNORED

Haydon Roberts Confirmed - Signed

westonred

26 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Rob, Ross and Roberts sign for the robins within 10 days. A living nightmare for any reds with rhotacism ?

3 so far but questions need to be asked how we missed out on Bellingham though. (Robin Bellingham that is).

Edited by BigTone
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If you consider that Massengo seems virtually certain to move on, Kalas’ future seems to be 50/50 & Bajic & the club need to have a conversation about exactly what’s happening there, should all those 3 go then that’s probable, even before we get to Scott’s situation.

Plus another left back according to the article 

27 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

So if he doesn’t sign we’re still after a CB?

Seems overkill to me unless Vyner leaves.

I’d be hoping now we’re in for a CM and a GK, I hope that isn’t us done.

Yea I think were after 1 cb be that Kalas or someone else. 

I don't believe that McCrorie will play cb regularly for us. 

Many people have put Roberts down as a LB but I see him as being the back up to Atkinson when he returns. 

For me I think next on our list is a LB, a GK, a cm and then possibly a striker.

10 minutes ago, James54De said:

Currie is the obvious shout. Though if we were still interested you’d have thought there would have been more said or done. 

If I remember rightly Don's don't really need to sell? 

So it's maybe a case of waiting for them to secure their replacement? 

I think Currie may need to do some pushing for it.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we have room for one more.  I did hear we are chasing someone currently, but nothing definite, and the word “chasing” could mean anything I guess.

That’s why I said “indirect”!!

Two scenarios…

1. Kalas stays ?, we’ve no need to look for a left-back - defensive recruitment probably complete ✅
  2. Kalas leaves ?, we have signed a player who can play LB or CB, we can be flexible about which position we chase ✅

(that’s not to say that’s all scenarios though)

Not forgetting that we also have Naismith. While it is highly likely that he will be played as a defensive midfielder, he can also play in central defence, giving us yet more flexibility/cover at the back.

On paper we do seem to have the defensive positions pretty well covered  - certainly when compared with last season - and still have Atkinson yet to come back from injury.

• Like 1

Welcome to Ashton Gate Haydon.

Did I imagine when asked about the summer's transfer activity Tins said a while back we were looking to sign several youngish but match experienced players (min. 150-200 apps) from the lower divisions?

Now we have1 signing from a PL club,1 from the Championship, and another from the SPL, perhaps that has changed.

If not, presumably they're still to come?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not forgetting that we also have Naismith. While it is highly likely that he will be played as a defensive midfielder, he can also play in central defence, giving us yet more flexibility/cover at the back.

On paper we do seem to have the defensive positions pretty well covered  - certainly when compared with last season - and still have Atkinson yet to come back from injury.

Midfield is quite well covered too.

James, Williams, Naismith, McCrorie, if stays Scott and then King again if he stays.

Benarous can play central too can't he- as can Weimann in extremis, that depth chart is starting to look quite good.

39 minutes ago, Jimbo123 said:

Reckon?

Wells Cornick and Conway seems enough cover for a 1 up front formation, especially as Weimann can play there too. 

Yeah, I do. Nige knows you need goals to get promoted, and a lot of them, to get promoted. Wells will get you SOME, Conway will get you SOME, Cornick will get you a few.

If Scott is sold then I see us paying good for a magic man that'll score goals from all over the shop. Millwall have beaten us to Nisbet as we don't have the cash now, but don't worry there's options. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did I imagine when asked about the summer's transfer activity Tins said a while back we were looking to sign several youngish but match experienced players (min. 150-200 apps) from the lower divisions?

Now we have1 signing from a PL club,1 from the Championship, and another from the SPL, perhaps that has changed.

Roberts has 2 seasons experience at 21 in a lower division

McCrorie is only 25 and has plenty of experience in a lower (lesser) division

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, I do. Nige knows you need goals to get promoted, and a lot of them, to get promoted. Wells will get you SOME, Conway will get you SOME, Cornick will get you a few.

If Scott is sold then I see us paying good for a magic man that'll score goals from all over the shop. Millwall have beaten us to Nisbet as we don't have the cash now, but don't worry there's options. 

Been saying it for a while now. One can argue we have the quantity of strikers but not the quality for a top six finish. Definitely a minority opinion 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Were we after Nisbet then? 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Been saying it for a while now. One can argue we have the quantity of strikers but not the quality for a top six finish. Definitely a minority opinion 

Our conversion rate is good. We don't have a top 6 creation rate although at home our underlying stats were the best since 2018-19 but a lot of our side laat season over the piece although improving, smacked of midtable. Our conversion rate would be interesting to see.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You're right. No-one is mentioning a forward, but we are after one 100%. 

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Were we after Nisbet then? 

Oh, absolutely mate. Yes. Millwall can count themselves lucky , I think, and he's a great signing for £2m. Scores goals from everywhere. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I reckon Nige upped the Ante! ???

Seriously though, I think sometimes players you think who might’ve been out of reach become more achievable, e.g. Dickie.  You never know if a player wants to get away or not, and maybe QPR thought he’d extend his deal.  As soon as there’s a sniff he won’t, we pounced.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Midfield is quite well covered too.

James, Williams, Naismith, McCrorie, if stays Scott and then King again if he stays.

Benarous can play central too can't he- as can Weimann in extremis, that depth chart is starting to look quite good.

All good in their own way but who's the one to offer 7-10 to satisfy Nigel's request for "more goals from midfield". Shelton scored 9 in the 89/90 promotion  season and in the early 70s I remember Gow finding the net 12 times or thereabouts

• Like 1

Just now, headhunter said:

All good in their own way but who's the one to offer 7-10 to satisfy Nigel's request for "more goals from midfield". Shelton scored 9 in the 89/90 promotion  season and in the early 70s I remember Gow finding the net 12 times or thereabouts

The depth was an issue laat year. At one point it was fixing in King and Taylor-Clarke as a pair, this won't happen again IMO as it stands.

Would be interesting to explore it in more depth, goals from central midfield do we mean? Clearly we need more but is it as important in a promotion campaign as it once was.

22 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Roberts has 2 seasons experience at 21 in a lower division

McCrorie is only 25 and has plenty of experience in a lower (lesser) division

Fair point but we're not signing them from lower league clubs which is what Tins inferred.

I assumed he was thinking in terms of cost effectiveness and likely wage demands as much as anything.

Fantastic early business! 

I believe that the 3 signings are following on from the Semenyo sale. 

This has allowed us to address key areas of the squad, and add depth to the defence. 

Further business will centre around Scott. As most of us expect, a sale is the most likely outcome. This should allow us to further improve 2/3 positions. 

I could see another 4 players arriving through the rest of the summer. 

plus however the Kalas situation plays out. Personally, I see him staying.

7 minutes ago, Derby_Ram said:

Been a while since I've been round these parts. Just thought I'd stick my head in to say you've got a good one here.

Predominantly played LB for us but the left of the centre backs in a back 3 and didn't look out of place in either. Excellent engine, good on the ball, decent pace, can move well with the ball, just his end ball was lacking too frequently when playing out wide.

Based on what we saw I think he may struggle at CB in a back 4 but wouldn't put it past him.

Probably the biggest compliments are you never thought he was a 20yr old learning the game last season and hard to pinpoint any goals as being obviously down to him. Good player.

Appreciate the feedback about Roberts. 

His signing is a step in the right direction for us. Our signings seem to highlight a range of age groups to help balance the squad.

He seems composed for someone so young, and represents low-risk with the potential of high-reward.

I’m interested to get your opinion on Knight and Bird this summer. Do you have hope of keeping them? And if not, where would be their most likely destination? (Top end champ / mid table etc)

16 minutes ago, Derby_Ram said:

Been a while since I've been round these parts. Just thought I'd stick my head in to say you've got a good one here.

Predominantly played LB for us but the left of the centre backs in a back 3 and didn't look out of place in either. Excellent engine, good on the ball, decent pace, can move well with the ball, just his end ball was lacking too frequently when playing out wide.

Based on what we saw I think he may struggle at CB in a back 4 but wouldn't put it past him.

Probably the biggest compliments are you never thought he was a 20yr old learning the game last season and hard to pinpoint any goals as being obviously down to him. Good player.

Thanks for the input pal ?

Some early rumours our end we’ve bid for Jason Knight - how would your profile him as a central midfielder? Does he think more forwards or backwards? And what price do you think you’d hold out for?

All the best with the upcoming League 1 season. Sure you’re getting plenty of stick from rivals but it’s no secret you won’t be down there long.