IGNORED

30 years ago today the great man passed away

fanjita

1 hour ago, fanjita said:

Peter John Walter Atyeo passed away on this day 30 years ago at the relatively young age of 61.

The word “legend” is often overused on footballers these days but that could not apply to this man, I had the pleasure of seeing him play and I feel privileged to have done so.

Always will be remembered as one of the greatest to ever put on a city shirt. John Atyeo will always be synonymous as one of the giants of our great club and along with it six England well deserved caps.

RIP John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

I saw his first match in August 1951and a goal against Newport County and his last one in April/May versus Ipswich with another two goals.

And hundreds of games in between. Spoke to him on trains, Ashton Gate car park and the funfair at Cleethorpes two years consecutively before matches at Grimsby.

A superb footballer and always very willing to spend a few minutes to chat to fans. So lucky to watch and meet the greatest Bristol City player ever!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 14
  • Robin 2

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I saw his first match in August 1951and a goal against Newport County and his last one in April/May versus Ipswich with another two goals.

And hundreds of games in between. Spoke to him on trains, Ashton Gate car park and the funfair at Cleethorpes two years consecutively before matches at Grimsby.

A superb footballer and always very willing to spend a few minutes to chat to fans. So lucky to watch and meet the greatest Bristol City player ever!

You were lucky to have met the great man. I hope you keep those FANTASTIC memories.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

I never saw the great man play unfortunately, when was his last game in a City shirt? 

End of season 1966. Plus the testimonial in the next season when Leeds manager Don Revie, who had played in the same England team as John, brought his very good Leeds to Ashton Gate.

6 hours ago, City oz said:

You were lucky to have met the great man. I hope you keep those FANTASTIC memories.

I treasure them all.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Thanks 1

He used to sit in the Grandstand and do the half time draws occasionally when we were in the 3rd or 4th division.

I remember him always in his suit and with brylcreemed hair.

Wish I'd seen him play.

Absolute travesty that the England selectors didn't see fit to include him in the world cup squad  especially when he scored the goal that got us through the qualifiers.

I watched Big John score so many goals for City....but my over-riding memory is of him on a horrible Winter afternoon chasing the ball ,which he was never going to get to before it went over the by-line . He was more than a goal scorer....he was an inspiration !

• Like 2

John Atyeo's last season with Bristol City, 1965/66, the season following promotion to what was then Division Two, was my first at Ashton Gate.

I recall vividly standing on that dwarf white wall just left of the goal in the Open End, clinging on to the railings and hoping Terry Bush wouldn't hit me with the ball during the warm up.

I can still name the (usual) team during that season, more than fifty years later.

I also recall that the former England International, Eddie Hopkinson, played in goal in the first match I watched, against Bolton Wanderers, but annoyingly, I was convinced until a few years ago that City won 2-0, when the stats show that it was a 2-2 draw.  

I used to sit next to him regularly at Twerton Park of all places. He was writing for the Sunday Independent then, really nice bloke.  I remember talking to him about the rivalry between our clubs but apparently it was very different when he was playing. Obviously they always wanted to beat each other, but  always wanted the other team to do well when they weren't playing each other and he enjoyed covering the Rovers games. I can't remember if he covered City as well?

• Like 4