IGNORED

Julian Dicks radio interview

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Bristol born Julian Dicks although he never played for Bristol City was in conversation on Talksport just after 10:00am on thursday.

including being a room mate of Paul Gascoinge.

There was a story from many moons ago of Gascoigne turning up in Knowle West in a roller bearing gifts for a sick child. I guess that would be the connection, being Dicks neck if the woods.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There was a story from many moons ago of Gascoigne turning up in Knowle West in a roller bearing gifts for a sick child. I guess that would be the connection, being Dicks neck if the woods.

It's not true, Julian left KW a long time before he came famous! His family all moved away as well!

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I played for Raleigh, was great mates with Julian's brother.

Ah ok fair enough ?

Grantley?  Good player too.

I knew James Webb from that team.

We were light rabbits in the headlights.  Never got a result at The Clanage!!!

22 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Were you supposed to be marking him Dave?

Nah, that was the responsibility of Two teammates, who tried (and failed miserably) to double man-mark him.  He was too good.  A skinny striker with an amazing left foot in those days.

I was playing a year up, Dicks because of an August birthday was playing below his school year.  I was a little winger in that team.

My knees were fine then Silvio, probably still young enough for the bones to be soft ???

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, that was the responsibility of Two teammates, who tried (and failed miserably) to double man-mark him.  He was too good.  A skinny striker with an amazing left foot in those days.

I was playing a year up, Dicks because of an August birthday was playing below his school year.  I was a little winger in that team.

My knees were fine then Silvio, probably still young enough for the bones to be soft ???

Always amazed me that he developed into a "hard man" defender!

He was by far the most skillful player I ever had the fortune to play with , and what a striker

Both him and grantley had a superb left foot on them! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He was by far the most skillful player I ever had the fortune to play with , and what a striker

Both him and grantley had a superb left foot on them! 

I know, bonkers wasn’t it?

Same with Darren Peacock too….striker at school - think he was at Raleigh too…PL centre-back!

Just now, Davefevs said:

Same with Darren Peacock too….striker at school - think he was at Raleigh too…PL centre-back!

I played with Darren as well at Fair Furlong, his dad managed us. Amazing really that I played with all these players and ended up shite! :laugh:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

I played with Darren as well at Fair Furlong, his dad managed us. Amazing really that I played with all these players and ended up shite! :laugh:

Got an amusing (well I think it is) story about Darren

I was watching the Tele one Sunday afternoon Man Utd v Newcastle, Darren made a rash challenge in his own box, nailed on spot kick. Ref didn't give it utd went absolutely mental.

Walked into pub in town on the Sunday night and Darren was sat in there having a drink on his own, recognised me fro when we played together his words were . I could never tackle when I played in midfield and ain't a lot better at it now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, frenchred said:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s pretty sobering when the outstanding kids you played with/against end up as professionals but "only" defenders. 

• Like 4