IGNORED

Julian Dicks radio interview

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Always amazed me that he developed into a "hard man" defender!

He was by far the most skillful player I ever had the fortune to play with , and what a striker

Both him and grantley had a superb left foot on them! 

Did julian play for warmley rangers? I know dave lee did before chelsea.... 

15 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Can I join in? I played with Julian and Grantley's dad Ronnie for the Venture on a a Sunday.

:laugh:! Ronnie was a great player in his day, left back as well, after one game a guy came up to him and said well played son, how old are you, his reply was too old for you, it was a man utd scout!

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

:laugh:! Ronnie was a great player in his day, left back as well, after one game a guy came up to him and said well played son, how old are you, his reply was too old for you, it was a man utd scout!

Sorry, never remember Ronnie as a left back always the tricky midfielder. Always the kid in the playground you couldn't get the ball off.

10 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Bristol born Julian Dicks although he never played for Bristol City was in conversation on Talksport just after 10:00am on thursday.

including being a room mate of Paul Gascoinge.

I worked with his Dad and he said he took him to see Terry Cooper but he said he isn't ready to play at his age 

So Ron Saunders signed him for Birmingham City.

9 hours ago, Tony Tootle said:

Yeah, he went to Elmlea primary school in Westbury-on trym which would be a long old trek each morning from south Bristol.

I thought he went to Novers Lane primary school and Merrywood

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Broad plain boys club, on broadbury road, had a manager christened dungeon master, by his players, I think it was a character from the TV show nightmare,  proper character 

That would've been Broad Plain House at Broadbury Rd...opposite the cop shop.

We were in there after a saturday game when a nervous young bobby walked in.  He asked if there were any volunteers for an identity parade that was due to take place in the cop shop.

There was silence till he said each volunteer would get paid £5 cash.  That was a couple of beers and a cheese roll then, so about half a dozen of us were over there in a flash!

Luckily none of us got picked out, but it did get a bit worrying when the identifier looked each of us up and down very suspiciously!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a similar thing happen to me, we used to finish college early on a Friday and go to Cabot tower to smoke a few joints, walking towards Bridewell a bloke came from nowhere and flashed a card, you interested in some cash work he said? I was still rifling through my pockets and acting a condemned man, when he explained it was for a Id parade

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Can I join in? I played with Julian and Grantley's dad Ronnie for the Venture on a a Sunday.

I didn't realise it was such a footballing family. Julian's Mum was Deputy Head at the primary school my children went to in Brislington.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2023 at 15:48, Oh Louie louie said:

Who formed Raleigh sports, anybody know, dave lived a few streets up, so im not sure if it was him, buster rhyme's on here rip, played in my team I can recall, 

I knew Dave's boys, Matt & Kev, pretty well growing up. I was in the same year as Matt at school, and Kev was in the year above.

Dave was always on hand to drop us off for ? when we fished for Silver Dace juniors.

I think Kev played for Raleigh. And I'm sure he told me a story about making Julian Dicks cry in a game once.

My younger brother played for Raleigh in the lower age groups. He scored a lot of goals, but I think that's because he was a goal moocher.

I don't know the origins of Raleigh Sports, but remember that Grantley Sulley managed one of the Raleigh sides at the time.

I walk past the Clanage most days now. I think half of it must have been sold off years ago because the cricket club now play where the footy pitches used to be, and the nursery & car boot take up the rest of the site. 

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 2

On 08/06/2023 at 12:04, Davefevs said:

Grantley?  Good player too.

I knew James Webb from that team.

We were light rabbits in the headlights.  Never got a result at The Clanage!!!

Grantley Dicks played for FGR around the time they got promoted to the Conference. Looked just like his brother and played like him too.

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I knew Dave's boys, Matt & Kev, pretty well growing up. I was in the same year as Matt at school, and Kev was in the year above.

Dave was always on hand to drop us off for ? when we fished for Silver Dace juniors.

I think Kev played for Raleigh. And I'm sure he told me a story about making Julian Dicks cry in a game once.

My younger brother played for Raleigh in the lower age groups. He scored a lot of goals, but I think that's because he was a goal moocher.

I don't know the origins of Raleigh Sports, but remember that Grantley Sulley managed one of the Raleigh sides at the time.

I walk past the Clanage most days now. I think half of it must have been sold off years ago because the cricket club now play where the footy pitches used to be, and the nursery & car boot take up the rest of the site. 

Your right Grant Sulley picked Julian up at the Bristol boys trials held on the clanage, grantley (dicks) and I were playing on the sidelines so he said you may as well come along as well!! :laugh:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, frenchred said:

Your right Grant Sulley picked Julian up at the Bristol boys trials held on the clanage, grantley (dicks) and I were playing on the sidelines so he said you may as well come along as well!! :laugh:

Grant's junior sides produced a lot of professional players, considering the size of the club. No E in his surname incidentally. 

• Like 1

Some great memories of the Dicks brothers on here, mind. Grantley was assistant manager at Hengrove when I joined as secretary; bloke petrified me with every look and I didn't really know much of him back then!

Nice guy though when you got to know him. Have never met Julian.... and speaking of Darren Peacock, think he played for the same Warmley team as Phil King and Dave Lee, run by Dave's dad Vernon. I'm sure at least one of them was playing a year up.... still see Dave quite a bit at City & Rovers matches and we're walking mates now too. 

2 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Some great memories of the Dicks brothers on here, mind. Grantley was assistant manager at Hengrove when I joined as secretary; bloke petrified me with every look and I didn't really know much of him back then!

Nice guy though when you got to know him. Have never met Julian.... and speaking of Darren Peacock, think he played for the same Warmley team as Phil King and Dave Lee, run by Dave's dad Vernon. I'm sure at least one of them was playing a year up.... still see Dave quite a bit at City & Rovers matches and we're walking mates now too. 

Dave Lee was my school age…Peacock was in my bruv’s year…2 school years older, as was King.

Dave would’ve had to have been playing two years up.

He played for Aiden Rangers on a Saturday (his dad wasn’t manager of that team).  He was good, but they had a top side he didn’t stand out any more than some if his teammates.

I only met him once outside of footie, when he was the coffin bearer for my mate - Neil Payne…who’s dad Dave you may have come across with your Hengrove connections.  RIP Payner…what a lad he was.  Happy memories and sad ones too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave Lee was my school age…Peacock was in my bruv’s year…2 school years older, as was King.

Dave would’ve had to have been playing two years up.

He played for Aiden Rangers on a Saturday (his dad wasn’t manager of that team).  He was good, but they had a top side he didn’t stand out any more than some if his teammates.

I only met him once outside of footie, when he was the coffin bearer for my mate - Neil Payne…who’s dad Dave you may have come across with your Hengrove connections.  RIP Payner…what a lad he was.  Happy memories and sad ones too.

Yes, now you mention it, he would have been playing two years up. Went to Chelsea quite young IIRC, maybe 14/15 years old.

He still does a bit for Chelsea now, was on the pitch for the tribute to Gianluca Vialli this season having played with, and for, Vialli. 

Lovely guy, very quick banter, and great company. 

Don't know the Paynes, Neil or Dave. Was Dave the ex-Bath City player that died quite young?

Edited by Hamdon Mart

44 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Yes, now you mention it, he would have been playing two years up. Went to Chelsea quite young IIRC, maybe 14/15 years old.

He still does a bit for Chelsea now, was on the pitch for the tribute to Gianluca Vialli this season having played with, and for, Vialli. 

Don't know the Paynes, Neil or Dave. Was Dave the ex-Bath City player that died quite young?

No, different Dave Payne.  Neil (Dave’s son) was my old college mate who died in a car crash in the States doing a footie scholarship out there.  Dave was a landlord of one of the pubs in Chew Magna.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Is the dark-haired coach Kenny Phillips who did some scouting for the City back in the 70s?

I believe it is, but only because I’ve seen other photos of him.  Used to play cricket against his son, and worked with his son’s girlfriend yonks ago.

On 10/06/2023 at 18:59, Hamdon Mart said:

His brother was the better footballer.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

West town were a lot of city young uns & parkway were rovers I used to play against them in the early 80’s . Jason Drysdale played for them amongst others . 

Played against Jason Drysdale at primary and secondary school. I thought he was the best player in the world!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

Played against Jason Drysdale at primary and secondary school. I thought he was the best player in the world!

Probably the best player I played against . Also Raymond lee, unbelievable skill level . Was at Arsenal  for a while . He didn’t make it there but never heard of him again 

• Like 2