IGNORED

Leeds deal agreed

Jerseybean

Post-Brexit American firms see the UK as a sitting duck. No longer economically linked to Europe we are easy pray for the yanks, and are already effectively becoming a vassal state of the U S of A. 

The Premier League, and Championship, is now almost full of clubs owned by either American companies or Middle Eastern States. 

If rumours are to be believed then it is American investment firms interested in buying us and the gas. 

There's a race on for who controls global football: America or the Middle East. Or maybe they'll end up dividing it up between them. 

Interesting times, one would assume it won't be long before England no longer holds claim to the "best league in the world".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Post-Brexit American firms see the UK as a sitting duck. No longer economically linked to Europe we are easy pray for the yanks, and are already effectively becoming a vassal state of the U S of A. 

The Premier League, and Championship, is now almost full of clubs owned by either American companies or Middle Eastern States. 

If rumours are to be believed then it is American investment firms interested in buying us and the gas. 

There's a race on for who controls global football: America or the Middle East. Or maybe they'll end up dividing it up between them. 

Interesting times, one would assume it won't be long before England no longer holds claim to the "best league in the world".

I think it’s more likely that there are just a very small pool of people who can afford to invest in football. This vassal state doesn’t even fill Texas, of course there are far more overseas investors.

Considering the serious growth in interest in the Premier League within North America, who will host the next World Cup, its natural North Americans would invest in the most commercially successful league in the world.

You need to be seriously wealthy to invest in top tier football, and we don’t have very many British who are able to do it. That’s nothing to do with Brexit. That’s very simply because our product was so commercially successful it’s now a prime export. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, 38MC said:

I think it’s more likely that there are just a very small pool of people who can afford to invest in football. This vassal state doesn’t even fill Texas, of course there are far more overseas investors.

Considering the serious growth in interest in the Premier League within North America, who will host the next World Cup, its natural North Americans would invest in the most commercially successful league in the world.

You need to be seriously wealthy to invest in top tier football, and we don’t have very many British who are able to do it. That’s nothing to do with Brexit. That’s very simply because our product was so commercially successful it’s now a prime export. 

You're forgetting all the world's problems are due to Brexit, I thought everyone knew that. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

Middle East and USA, these Leagues. This deal has been in the works for a few years btw.

Anyway yeah, these Leagues- may push on a bit but they don't have the competive edge of the PL and yes at rimes bur less so other top few Leagues in Europe plus of course the CL.

You can be offered a good amount of cash plus the above or a load of cash but lacking the history, the cut and thrust of said Leagues- and when I say the history I don't just mean since the CL and PL came into being but yes even history aside you will not get that competitive thrust etc outside of the top few Leagues and CL, at times secondary European competitions.

South America should be up there too but obviously isn't.

Anyway yeah we've seen it before China. The original US League whixh had Pele- played for New York Cosmos. No way are Middle Eastern or US clubs getting into the UEFA CL, and not in a million years tbh should they.

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

La Liga has been the best league in the world for the last 20 years so that claims long gone. 

• Haha 4
  • Hmmm 2

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

La Liga has been the best league in the world for the last 20 years so that claims long gone. 

You are looking at the wrong thing, it's not the quality of football that matters its how you sell it and the Prem has always done an amazing marketing job, that's why it has so much money being pumped in, because more people watch it as a result, the "best league in the world" is a self fulfilling prophecy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You are looking at the wrong thing, it's not the quality of football that matters its how you sell it and the Prem has always done an amazing marketing job, that's why it has so much money being pumped in, because more people watch it as a result, the "best league in the world" is a self fulfilling prophecy 

I agree it's the best marketed league in the world but that's all it's top in. A paltry 11 European trophies in 30 years, sorry 12 now that West Ham have won the 'barely good enough to be in Europe trophy' or UEFA s version of the FA Vase attests to that. The old first division was the best league when between 67 and 92 it led to English teams, winning 22 European trophies. 

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

In your opinion, not the opinion of the majority I would think

The Premier League is only the best if you believe the Sky sponsored propoganda. Despite my distaste for the format of UEFA competitions (the Champions including the champions of sod all League in particular) I will measure success by European competition not home trophies. Despite all the money being thrown at the Premier League, or PSG in France, we remains miles behind La Liga and indeed the old English 1st Division in such success. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Haha 2

La Liga was for a time but PL has overtaken it IMO.

The big two plus Atletico seem to be rebuilding. Good but not the atrallar forces of a number of years ago.

Valencia used to be a good 3rd or 4th force but that has gone atm. Sevilla took a step backwards this year albeit still won a European trophy.  How will Athletic Bilbao, Real Betos, Villarreal do in the medium term is an open question.

47 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I agree it's the best marketed league in the world but that's all it's top in. A paltry 11 European trophies in 30 years, sorry 12 now that West Ham have won the 'barely good enough to be in Europe trophy' or UEFA s version of the FA Vase attests to that. The old first division was the best league when between 67 and 92 it led to English teams, winning 22 European trophies. 

Let's see what those statistics look like in 5 to 10 years, I think you will be having to eat your words the dominance of the European competitions by the Premier League is just starting.

Edited by pillred

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

La Liga was for a time but PL has overtaken it IMO.

The big two plus Atletico seem to be rebuilding. Good but not the atrallar forces of a number of years ago.

Valencia used to be a good 3rd or 4th force but that has gone atm. Sevilla took a step backwards this year albeit still won a European trophy.  How will Athletic Bilbao, Real Betos, Villarreal do in the medium term is an open question.

More debt reshuffling and money jiggery pokery in La Liga than in the Prem even.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Let's see what those statistics look like in 5 to 10 years I think you will be having to eat your words for the dominance of the European competitions by the Premier leage is just starting.

It'll take 10 years for the Premier League to match the success of the old 1st Division, achieved when entry into European competition was much harder, with only the champions qualifying for the European cup not getting a chance despite being a champion of sod all. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

More debt reshuffling and money jiggery pokery in La Liga than in the Prem even.

There was certainly but the Spanish football authorities have started to exercise their muscles (something the Premier League/EFL could learn from). Barcelona finances are being closely monitored and a deal to bring Messi back to the Nou Camp won't be sanctioned. The days of TV deals where Barcelona and Real Madrid took 60%of revenue, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and, Sevilla sharing 20% leaving 20% for the remainder of La Liga and the Segunda have gone for a more equitable system actually based on the Premier League deal. A ways to go but La Liga is slowly becoming more competitive. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry but this is just not true,  Brexit has no bearing on prospective owners buying clubs, that's down to them going through the ownership and directors' test, which is ensure that individuals taking ownership of a club meet the necessary requirements and are suitable to be involved in the running of a football club. The ownership and directors test looks at factors such as their financial standing, criminal record, and previous involvement in football or other sporting organisations. Unfortunately this still doesn't stop unscrupulous buyers getting through on occasions and causing havoc at certain clubs.

If your talking about worrying US investment look no further than our care home providers that are paid by our own tax money but then are sold to US investment firms who provide care at the cheapest rate to the detriment of our elderly and claim they don't make profit to avoid tax although provide heavy interest payments to other subsidiary companies.

This has been going on pre or post Brexit.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It'll take 10 years for the Premier League to match the success of the old 1st Division, achieved when entry into European competition was much harder, with only the champions qualifying for the European cup not getting a chance despite being a champion of sod all. 

Yes, they have rather widened the net a bit, of course, it's mostly to do with the money now and not quality. I agree the champions league should be just that the team that finishes top in each countries league and don't get me started on the endless qualifying rounds, I wish it was a true knockout competition, now that would introduce real jeopardy into each game, but of course not make as much money so it will never happen.

Edited by pillred

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

Yes, they have rather widened the net a bit, of course, it's mostly to do with the money now and not quality. I agree the champions league should be just that the team that finishes top in each countries league and don't get me started on the endless qualifying rounds, I wish it was a true knockout competition, now that would introduce real jeopardy into each game, but of course not make as much money so it will never happen.

I totally agree with how it should be, and that sadly it won't happen as it would not only leave little scope for brown envelopes but also hit those with shares in the company that makes the envelopes. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pillred said:

Don't forget Seedings. While I get the rationale, they can very much further enforce the status quo. Guess anything with a Group Stage will have Seedings of some sort however.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely nothing to do with Brexit Americans & others of course were buying clubs in England long before i.e the Glazers, It's ubiquitous  globalisation which has ****ed up every country in the Western world. I deliberately refer to them as   clubs in England rather than English clubs as the Premier league which is claimed to be  the best league in the world has long been an International league based in England with clubs which are more like corporations and brands with a tenuous at best(only SOME of the fans) connection to England.Ideally for me the Lansdown's keep the club for decades to come alas I know that's not going to happen and it's only a matter of time before I walk away and become  primarily a Weston-Super-Mare fan and City will gradually lose it's appeal and importance to me as it will inevitably be  a soulless money making entity more concerned with tv rights   and merchandise  & chasing overseas supporters  like  so many others which are in foreign ownership. The phrase be careful what you wish for  is very apt for City fans it may not be all you hoped it would be.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

EU powerhouse Germany went into recession last week,bloody brexit :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

EU powerhouse Germany went into recession last week, bloody Brexit :laugh:

They must be in a state of shock. Still their higher wages, much better pensions, lower retirement age, cheaper housing, lower food inflation, better public transport, cheaper energy and working health system compared to the UK might make them feel better about it. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They must be in a state of shock. Still their higher wages, much better pensions, lower retirement age, cheaper housing, lower food inflation, better public transport, cheaper energy and working health system compared to the UK might make them feel better about it. 

My wife is German, and I have been visiting Germany several times a year since the mid 1980s.

You may be correct that ‘basic’ housing outside of the major cities is less expensive than in the UK, but may also be surprised at how expensive decent properties are in the more prosperous towns.

Don’t even look at Munich, or Bavaria in general, and I am sure @Blagdon red will be able to confirm that property prices in Berlin have rocketed in recent years.

Re. lower retirement age and better pensions, my German sister in-law retired some years ago when in her early 40s due to mental health problems.

In brief, she worked for a national company and found it stressful driving 100km every day to and from her new office to which she had recently been promoted - she had worked previously in an office almost a brisk walk from her apartment, but her former position was no longer available and it was decided it would be demeaning to send her back to her former office in a lesser position.

In brief, rather than make her redundant, they offered her early retirement on medical grounds on a virtual 100% pension; inflation protected, of course.

My sister in-law and her partner, recently retired himself, have recently traded in their top of the range Mercedes estate - 100K kilometres on the clock - for a custom made mobile home, two beds, shower, fully equipped kitchen, satellite TV etc.

Yes, I think Germany has a pretty good social and pension system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My wife is German, and I have been visiting Germany several times a year since the mid 1980s.

You may be correct that ‘basic’ housing outside of the major cities is less expensive than in the UK, but may also be surprised at how expensive decent properties are in the more prosperous towns.

Don’t even look at Munich, or Bavaria in general, and I am sure @Blagdon red will be able to confirm that property prices in Berlin have rocketed in recent years.

Re. lower retirement age and better pensions, my German sister in-law retired some years ago when in her early 40s due to mental health problems.

In brief, she worked for a national company and found it stressful driving 100km every day to and from her new office to which she had recently been promoted - she had worked previously in an office almost a brisk walk from her apartment, but her former position was no longer available and it was decided it would be demeaning to send her back to her former office in a lesser position.

In brief, rather than make her redundant, they offered her early retirement on medical grounds on a virtual 100% pension; inflation protected, of course.

My sister in-law and her partner, recently retired himself, have recently traded in their top of the range Mercedes estate - 100K kilometres on the clock - for a custom made mobile home, two beds, shower, fully equipped kitchen, satellite TV etc.

Yes, I think Germany has a pretty good social and pension system.

Indeedy. Re; The accommodation, it's my understanding that buying a property in a prosperous city can be almost as expensive as in the UK, rental properties are much cheaper and tenants have much greater protections than those still surviving in the UK.