IGNORED

Fake no.2 goalkeepers

The Saturday Boy

That's mad.  

The life of a professional footballer is a bit mad when you think of it.  It's like me practicing all week to do my job, hoping my manager will notice how well I am practicing to do it.  If he does, I may earn the right to do my job for an hour and a half on one or maybe two days of the week.   And when I do some 20,000 people who know very little about my job, or what I've been asked to do, and have never done it themselves, get to shout at me if they think I'm not doing it very well.  But if they think I am doing it well they cheer and idolise me for just doing my job.   ******* weird. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

That's mad.  

The life of a professional footballer is a bit mad when you think of it.  It's like me practicing all week to do my job, hoping my manager will notice how well I am practicing to do it.  If he does, I may earn the right to do my job for an hour and a half on one or maybe two days of the week.   And when I do some 20,000 people who know very little about my job, or what I've been asked to do, and have never done it themselves, get to shout at me if they think I'm not doing it very well.  But if they think I am doing it well they cheer and idolise me for just doing my job.   ******* weird. 

And trying to be match ready, even though the best you can realistically expect is to be on the bench.

Train and prepare as if you are going to play, knowing that you aren't.

And then being too old for the u23s.

• Like 1

If anyone thinks this is either new or we haven’t taken advantage of this in the past, in our L1 promotion season GJ loaned in a lad called Sean Thomas to do this job, then when Basso was injured late in the season we could bring in John Ruddy as a result.

Was it Winston Boregard (might have the name wrong) who signed for Chelsea for millions and never played, to the point that he would train on his own, make it clear to the club he was fit and available for selection only to be told he wouldn't be needed that weekend so just jumped on a flight home again?

33 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Dave Richards was the archetypal fake No. 2 in the promotion season - we've had quite a few of these looking back though, as the bulk of our goalkeepers over the last thirty years have been long-servers who were seemingly immune to injury and who's form didn't dip enough to be dropped.

Fair play to “trigger”, he did move on and get a career lower down. 

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Was it Winston Boregard (might have the name wrong) who signed for Chelsea for millions and never played, to the point that he would train on his own, make it clear to the club he was fit and available for selection only to be told he wouldn't be needed that weekend so just jumped on a flight home again?

https://talksport.com/football/1308459/winston-bogarde-chelsea-transfer-contract/

Total of 12 games, only one in the last 3 years of his contract. £40k a week. Now that's a job I could really get my teeth into.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Stuart Taylor, I guess.

He was my first thought. 86 games in 14 years according to the article I just read. Incredible.

Begs another question, who has the most silverware for the least appearences? Scott Carson just picked up his 2nd CL winners medal after being in the Liverpool squad in 2005 (at the same stadium incidentally)

11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He was my first thought. 86 games in 14 years according to the article I just read. Incredible.

Begs another question, who has the most silverware for the least appearences? Scott Carson just picked up his 2nd CL winners medal after being in the Liverpool squad in 2005 (at the same stadium incidentally)

Just 34 of those were in the Prem, has to be him.

Reminds me of the Kaiser, I've just finished the book and there is also a doc.  He was a professional footballer who never played a game, but got signed to various clubs based on fraud, and also his willingness to set up players and owners with women!  Very interesting story, some clubs even signed him twice and he played for all the top Brazilian teams

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6823890/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 3