IGNORED

Likely Lads episode where they did not want to know the football score

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Brian Glover the geezer trying to spoil their day.  When he died, the Guardian obituary said he died of a Brian Tumour...

Back in the late 70s I was fortunate to meet and talk with Brian Glover when just occasionally he would have a drink in the Queens Elm at 241 Fulham Road. Sadly, like Brian, the pub is no more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Brian Glover the geezer trying to spoil their day.  When he died, the Guardian obituary said he died of a Brian Tumour...

He was a brilliant actor.

Always remember him in Porridge, where like everyone else in the cast he was superb.

Someone says to him “never judge a book by its cover” to which he replied “I do, I can’t read”.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Back in the late 70s I was fortunate to meet and talk with Brian Glover when just occasionally he would have a drink in the Queens Elm at 241 Fulham Road. Sadly, like Brian, the pub is no more. 

I remember that pub from my student days, did a brilliant shepherd's pie and baked beans, that was the early 70s

Kes was the first Ken Loach film I ever watched, although I wasn’t aware at the time that he was the Director nor, indeed, who he was.

I was a teenager at the time, and I watched it at school, either in an English class or in our film club.

I remember I cried, which was quite embarrassing as I went to an all boys school, so I received the usual teasing.

I watched it again many years later, and, even though I knew the plot, I cried again - I was alone this time, so suffered no teasing.

As I said earlier, though, an excellent film, as are most films directed by Ken Loach.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Brian Glover is excellent in an episode of Minder called "The beer hunter"

"Hello Chuffer"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

Of course, these days, we have YouTube for such nostalgic trips

I watched all of them recently on That's TV on Freesat, I think it's available on Freeview too. It was enjoyable and compared to other shows of the time it's comparatively enlightened, even the blatant sexism is reserved for the nastier characters.

Almost anything written by Dick Clement and Ian Lafrenais was great comedy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I watched all of them recently on That's TV on Freesat, I think it's available on Freeview too. It was enjoyable and compared to other shows of the time it's comparatively enlightened, even the blatant sexism is reserved for the nastier characters.

Almost anything written by Dick Clement and Ian Lafrenais was great comedy.

Their film Water was very good too. They also rewrote a James Bond script....the remake of Thunderball due to copyright etc Never Say Never Again. They even used a classic line from Porridge in it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Kes was the first Ken Loach film I ever watched, although I wasn’t aware at the time that he was the Director nor, indeed, who he was.

I was a teenager at the time, and I watched it at school, either in an English class or in our film club.

I remember I cried, which was quite embarrassing as I went to an all boys school, so I received the usual teasing.

I watched it again many years later, and, even though I knew the plot, I cried again - I was alone this time, so suffered no teasing.

As I said earlier, though, an excellent film, as are most films directed by Ken Loach.

After school film club Phil, I was there.

Showed some great films, Rosemary's Baby, Bonnie & Clyde and Cabaret were others iirc.

I think a (comparatively) young teacher, Chris Beale, was in charge, also spotted him at AG.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After school film club Phil, I was there.

Showed some great films, Rosemary's Baby, Bonnie & Clyde and Cabaret were others iirc.

I think a (comparatively) young teacher, Chris Beale, was in charge, also spotted him at AG.

You weren’t one of those cruel bastards who teased me when I cried, were you?

15 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Love how he avoids finding out the score, gets home, his wife says “Goodnight luv, enjoy the game…

…you won’t see any goals though” ?

When I was a kid, my stepdad (?) wanted to watch the Big Match on ITV Sunday lunchtime, round at his Aunt's. He went out of his way to avoid finding out the score, and when we arrived the first thing he said was "Don't tell me the score, Hilda, I want to watch the Big Match"

She said "OK, fine. Bloody rubbish game anyway, weren't any goals"

I swear I nearly died laughing.

• Like 1