IGNORED

Likely Lads episode where they did not want to know the football score

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You weren’t one of those cruel bastards who teased me when I cried, were you?

Possibly if your blubbing prevented me hearing the film!

Seriously, I doubt it very much, there was a fair sprinkling of unpleasant w*nkers at that school (must have been Rovers fans!) and although I'm sure I was far from perfect I'm pretty sure I didn't join in on ganging up on anyone.

10 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

When I was a kid, my stepdad (?) wanted to watch the Big Match on ITV Sunday lunchtime, round at his Aunt's. He went out of his way to avoid finding out the score, and when we arrived the first thing he said was "Don't tell me the score, Hilda, I want to watch the Big Match"

She said "OK, fine. Bloody rubbish game anyway, weren't any goals"

I swear I nearly died laughing.

A mate had similar, Newcastle fan living in Newcastle, there were late extended highlights on of a big game, either Newcastle or England, I don't recall, and he had been out for the evening avoiding hearing the score.

When he returned to watch it he said to his mum "Don't tell me the score"

And she said...

"It's alright, nobody scored."

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He was a brilliant actor.

Always remember him in Porridge, where like everyone else in the cast he was superb.

Someone says to him “never judge a book by its cover” to which he replied “I do, I can’t read”.

I remember him saying, "I read a book once! Green it was!"

?

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2023 at 18:46, spudski said:

A bit before my childhood, but so much is the same. 

We had a PE teacher just like that. 

I think we all had PE teachers like that. Ours were only interested in using the lesson like a boot camp. No one enjoyed it. They each had their favourite sport and didn't care about the other sports they should be teaching. None of them knew about cricket and used to ask me to teach the rest of the class as my Dad was a good player and taught me so much.

The misery of rugby in the autumn term will never be forgotten.

Apologies for going off topic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I think we all had PE teachers like that. Ours were only interested in using the lesson like a boot camp. No one enjoyed it. They each had their favourite sport and didn't care about the other sports they should be teaching. None of them knew about cricket and used to ask me to teach the rest of the class as my Dad was a good player and taught me so much.

The misery of rugby in the autumn term will never be forgotten.

Apologies for going off topic.

Funnily enough, ours were opposite: loved cricket, not that interested in anything else, with football coming near the bottom of the tree. Athletics, my own personal area of excellence, was pretty much ignored and we just went off to do it ourselves. Luckily myself and one classmate were good enough to get extra-curricular coaching from international standard coaches based in Millfield, just down the road. 

I did actually manage to avoid all the football on the final day of the season and only watch unfold on one of those "timeline" MOTD's they do, the great thing about it was that it was the Man City AGUERO! year, and I was in complete disbelief at the end.