IGNORED

Martin Tyler

Super

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A good career but has been rapidly diminishing in performance for years. The commentary of the 7-0 between United and Liverpool being the perfect example of how far past it he is.

Why that game in particular mate?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Good career, but been boring to listen to for about 10 years.

Commentators - please just commentate on the game and occasionally drop in a bit of useful trivia. I don’t want to know your opinion on each individual player’s form/career. Leave that to the pundits.

It all went downhill from the moment some (tv executive?) prat decided to put a summariser (of the bleeding obvious) alongside the commentator. Once he had someone to natter with, like two ladies over a garden fence, he stopped commentating on the game and entered into a constant diatribe of everything except the match. They never know now when to shut up, instead talking more than the guys on the radio. O for the days of Moore, Coleman, Wolstenholme, and even Roger 'Noddy' Malone. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Oh God no! You can be 10 minutes into a game before he actually realises he's supposed to be commentating on a football match and mentions that a player passed the ball to someone. 

I rarely watch PL these days so haven’t heard Tyler commentate much, but I guess when the viewer can see the game, is there so much if a need to call that out?

I think there is too much talking though, sometimes silence is required.  Too much tittle-tattle about off-field stuff, etc.

• Like 1

Sky are struggling at the moment and are laying off or cutting wages on many employees, so it won’t be a big money move from another broadcaster I doubt.

I do wonder where the whole Sky sports is heading, I think subscribers are down, there’s more choices and they don’t have blanket coverage of sports like they used to.

I know I’m thinking of quitting my membership when it runs out in a few months, mainly because of the ridiculous price increase a few months ago. I know they’ll offer a deal but I don’t think I’ll give them a second chance this time.

16 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Sky are struggling at the moment and are laying off or cutting wages on many employees, so it won’t be a big money move from another broadcaster I doubt.

I do wonder where the whole Sky sports is heading, I think subscribers are down, there’s more choices and they don’t have blanket coverage of sports like they used to.

I know I’m thinking of quitting my membership when it runs out in a few months, mainly because of the ridiculous price increase a few months ago. I know they’ll offer a deal but I don’t think I’ll give them a second chance this time.

I’m punishing any business that increases their prices during a cost of living crisis by just cancelling immediately. Sky, Disney plus, home insurance, they’re all up to it and finding out consumer loyalty isn’t infinite. They’ve all called me after I’ve cancelled but days before it runs out, offering to renew at a cheaper price, but too late by then ?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I’m punishing any business that increases their prices during a cost of living crisis by just cancelling immediately. Sky, Disney plus, home insurance, they’re all up to it and finding out consumer loyalty isn’t infinite. They’ve all called me after I’ve cancelled but days before it runs out, offering to renew at a cheaper price, but too late by then ?

Agree, BT, EE and Sky have all burnt their bridges. All increased by around 15%

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It all went downhill from the moment some (tv executive?) prat decided to put a summariser (of the bleeding obvious) alongside the commentator. Once he had someone to natter with, like two ladies over a garden fence, he stopped commentating on the game and entered into a constant diatribe of everything except the match. They never know now when to shut up, instead talking more than the guys on the radio. O for the days of Moore, Coleman, Wolstenholme, and even Roger 'Noddy' Malone. 

I wholeheartedly agree. Now they often have two summarisers per game plus the commentator. 

Utter tosh.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I think the golden goose of TV revenue from football may be in the early stages of flying off.

Every time the rights come up for renewal the contract gets bigger and that cost, of course, is passed on to the consumer.

There is a huge issue potentially for the EPL, their averice on wages and transfer fees would have to reduce if the broadcasters did not keep throwing more money at them.

I don’t know when the contracts are next out to tender but if the current trend continues then the EPL clubs may have to tighten their belts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I concur with what’s been said, Tyler has been rapidly in decline. 

interesting he made the point he’s not retiring, I wonder where he’ll turn up!

Talksport I expect. Sky sports commentary is poor across most sports currently. Apart from the cricket which is good 

Was watching the '79 FA Cup final earlier on ITV4. Brain Moore commentating...what a masterful delivery he had. Never said too much, or too little. Never filled space with banal cliches, just described the action. Was very fond of Motty too, and Barry Davies. Kings of the sportscasters in those days. Twatterface isn't fit to hold their mic. None of them are today.

One exception being the commentator of this game below. Riveting! And @6.30, well you decide...

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Out of interest how much is Sky and Sky Sports nowadays? I cut the cord years ago. 

I find it hilarious that the Police go after the guys who sell illegal firesticks for streaming yet the law ignores the fact Sky and BT have been f****** sports fans for years now. 

The cost to subscribe has gone up and the content quality has plummeted at the same time. Hopefully the little guys win and Sky sports end up losing more rights.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Out of interest how much is Sky and Sky Sports nowadays? I cut the cord years ago. 

About £60 I pay for Sports HD, multi screen and Netflix. Like I say I could phone them and they would do it cheaper if I signed up for 2 more years but I won’t. My contract runs out in October and I’m more than happy having it and paying that while the Ashes is on. 

• Like 1