IGNORED

Death of the Target Man

Davefevs

4 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

It’s interesting how the way people see the game has evolved.  I think this is the main reason why certain more senior members of the crowd around me get very frustrated and continually shout “Forward!” when city are keeping possession and probing for an opening.  They just don’t get it 

I think a lot of the frustrations have crept in over the past couple of seasons due to seeing how easily our opponent's have been able to move "forward" with ease using slick passing and movement which has been sadly absent from our armoury for a while. With the recent improvements in our capabilities and improved understanding of patterns of play prevelant from the general viewing of games from all the media available there is a tendancy to understand the need to be more patient.

Although there's nothing wrong with a long ball under the right circumstances as seen in the recent England game. 

12 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

It’s interesting how the way people see the game has evolved.  I think this is the main reason why certain more senior members of the crowd around me get very frustrated and continually shout “Forward!” when city are keeping possession and probing for an opening.  They just don’t get it 

Thankfully we don't seem to hear the traditional cry of "Get rid of it!" when a defender has the ball these days.

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

That'll be me.

image.jpeg.74844fc20c47d5bd743c580590cc240f.jpeg

Give me a couple of nippy wingers and a big lad up top .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Selred said:

I actually think a target man is becoming more effective than ever. Lot's of CB's are now becoming more of a footballer, great with the ball at their feet but not as big and strong as previously. Prime example is Naismith or Vyner for us.

We got bullied away at Luton, who had the big bloke up front. Morris? Can't remember.

Anyway yes the game is becoming more technical, but a target man can still do the job and cause havoc.

I’ll just call you PepRed in future!

another article calling out exactly what you say:

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

I think a lot of the frustrations have crept in over the past couple of seasons due to seeing how easily our opponent's have been able to move "forward" with ease using slick passing and movement which has been sadly absent from our armoury for a while. With the recent improvements in our capabilities and improved understanding of patterns of play prevelant from the general viewing of games from all the media available there is a tendancy to understand the need to be more patient.

Although there's nothing wrong with a long ball under the right circumstances as seen in the recent England game. 

That period under Holden where teams waltzed into our half because of non-existent / half-hearted press from players like Diedhiou are long gone under Nige.  You can’t always stop it, Swansea (h) FAC first half an example where we got our triggers all wrong.  But we are very organised without the ball these days, and now press in phases.  We saw against Burnley (h) how good triggers, good pass-land blocks caused them all kinds of trouble opening 20-25 mins.  We didn’t convert but we forced lots of possession turnover.  Sometimes it’s beaten, but we are good about getting “back-in” into shape to contain our opponents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A number of things have changed in the modern game, fitness levels and diet being a massive one.

Traditional full backs have been replaced by wing backs who now cover the entire length of the pitch and as such we've sacrificed the out and out winger.

I certainly miss seeing the ball go to Dave Smith or Mark Gavin and shouting 'go on, skin him!'. Nothing better than watching a tricky winger run directly at the full back and skin them before crossing the ball into the box for the big lump to bully in with a thumping header or knock it down for the fox in the box to tuck it home.

It's not just the pointless hoof from the keeper, but also the loss of the tricky wingers with sheer pace that makes the target man less effective these days.

I'm always nervous about playing it out from the back unless you have ballers who are always switched on. One slip and it's a one on one with the keeper.

I also find this probing around the box looking for the short pass opening through the defensive line can be frustrating to watch. When the defenders are facing the right way they've pretty much got things covered, especially if they are good communicators and hold a tight line. 

Tactically I feel that sometimes this needs to be changed and if you get a big man up top and switch to more attack minded wingers who can get behind the wing backs and cross the ball back away from the keeper then the big man thumps a header home or your centre backs are facing the wrong way, panic, put it out for a corner, inadvertently turn it into their own net, or struggle to clear it allowing your forwards to gain the advantage as they are the only ones facing the right way.

For entertainment value I'd take the old style in a flash, but I do understand that the modern game is more patient and done properly can make teams very difficult to beat.

22 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Agreed.

Also Simms for Sunderland had a fantastic game against us at the gate. Leading the line in a way in which you rarely see nowadays.

Leading the line and being a target man are two completely different things.

The former, the ball is played to feet or chest for him to hold up and lay off to midfield runners.

The latter, the ball is played aerially for him to nod down to an accompanying forward partner.

Edited by Malago

23 hours ago, Selred said:

I actually think a target man is becoming more effective than ever. Lot's of CB's are now becoming more of a footballer, great with the ball at their feet but not as big and strong as previously. Prime example is Naismith or Vyner for us.

We got bullied away at Luton, who had the big bloke up front. Morris? Can't remember.

Anyway yes the game is becoming more technical, but a target man can still do the job and cause havoc.

Another prime example of this was when we got thumped at Fulham.

The way Mitrovic bullied our defenders that day was embarrassing.

• Like 1