IGNORED

Digital Ticketing

westonred

I have Google Wallet on my smartphone (Moto G8  power) but have never used it.

When I open the app, it states: “Device doesn’t support tap. You can still manage your cards and passes online and across Google”.

I understand that the Digital Season Tickets are stored using NFC. However it would appear that my phone does not have NFC available or installed, having searched throughout the phone settings.

I guess this means that downloading the Digital Season Ticket is pointless and that I need to request a physical card.

True or false???

Any help or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

6 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I have Google Wallet on my smartphone (Moto G8  power) but have never used it.

When I open the app, it states: “Device doesn’t support tap. You can still manage your cards and passes online and across Google”.

I understand that the Digital Season Tickets are stored using NFC. However it would appear that my phone does not have NFC available or installed, having searched throughout the phone settings.

I guess this means that downloading the Digital Season Ticket is pointless and that I need to request a physical card.

True or false???

Any help or advice would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

The Moto G8 Power doesn't support NFC as you say (as per https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g8_power-10052.php) so you'll definitely want to register yourself for a physical ticket. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

The Moto G8 Power doesn't support NFC as you say (as per https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g8_power-10052.php) so you'll definitely want to register yourself for a physical ticket. 

Which begs the question, what if I have loaded my ticket onto my NFC supporting phone, then buy a phone that doesn't support it. Is it just a case of the club issuing a card mid season?

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Which begs the question, what if I have loaded my ticket onto my NFC supporting phone, then buy a phone that doesn't support it. Is it just a case of the club issuing a card mid season?

I suppose that if you've already got NFC and are using it then that becomes one of the factors that you consider when buying a new phone.

19 hours ago, beaverface said:

My wife and I both have Season Tickets, and we're carers for our son who has a season ticket and my wife has loaded our sons season ticket into her wallet, however I cannot do the same as it's only one wallet per season ticket.

This causes a bit of an issue for us, as sometimes only I can take my son, or it might be that I meet in her the ground. So unless I somehow transfer the ticket across to me, he's going to struggle to get in. (I await the forthcoming news on how to do that)

I'm not quite sure why we can't load the same ticket onto more than one mobile, and once one of them has redeemed the ticket by going through the turnstyle, the same ticket on another phone should then become unusable. Similar to the way you can't spend a voucher code after you've used it.

This approach would work well, especially for us, because as a family we could store all three of our ST's onto a phone each, therefore creating a back-up if one our batteries died, forgot our phones, screen gets broken, one of us not being able to attend.

We're definitely not adverse to moving with the times, we embrace it, but it could be a little more practical in nature.

Perhaps if you contact the club there may be a way you could do what you outline above?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Thanks but that's a bit like saying that if I,m a smoker with a car that has an ashtray, I need to buy my next car that has one as well.

I’m not saying you need or have to. I’m just saying it would be a factor.

Yes, if you’re a smoker then whether or not there’s an ashtray probably would be something you’d consider. If you’re not a smoker, it won’t be. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

And why is it such an issue that you’re unable to show your card/ticket?

It isn’t an issue for me other than queuing behind people having their bags and tickets checked, I don’t show my card to anyone, I place it under  the machine that allows me to enter the stadium when it reads the card and there is  no need for human interaction at all.

As I said previously I understand the checking of bags (which I don’t take), I’ve yet to hear the clubs reason for asking to see tickets or cards prior to entry at the turnstiles.

Just another box ticking exercise in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

..... I’ve yet to hear the clubs reason for asking to see tickets or cards prior to entry at the turnstiles.

Just another box ticking exercise in my opinion.

Even those that ask to see tickets don't know why they ask.

"We've just been asked to check them," is the reply I've received when I've asked why.

On 25/06/2023 at 21:02, Barrs Court Red said:

And as someone whose career in IT (now more more sexily called Digital) has spanned 2/3s of that time period, I can confidently say your wrong.

You would be amazed how clueless people are, and it’s not a minuscule minority. While things are getting better, there’s a metric tonne of luddites out there. 

do you know the difference between 1 and 0 ?

9 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Even those that ask to see tickets don't know why they ask.

"We've just been asked to check them," is the reply I've received when I've asked why.

The old style season ticket or card always remained the property of the club, to do with as and when they chose. Now that it is an image on my phone, which is very much my property, surely I can refuse to show it to anybody .

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

The old style season ticket or card always remained the property of the club, to do with as and when they chose. Now that it is an image on my phone, which is very much my property, surely I can refuse to show it to anybody .

In theory, but then the club could choose to refuse you access if you don't show it, in theory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Why would anyone choose to do this?

Seems very childish to me

• Like 1

Just now, extonsred said:

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere in the 14 pages but....have downloaded android to Google wllate. It shows details of the Preston game...but no QR or barcode. Have I not downloaded corec5ly, missed a step or need to await codes nearer the time. ? 

There is no QR code or barcode - you just tap against the reader and it uses NFC - it's like using contactless on your debit/credit card.

On 09/07/2023 at 16:04, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Thanks but that's a bit like saying that if I,m a smoker with a car that has an ashtray, I need to buy my next car that has one as well.

Maybe if you have up the fags, you'd be able to buy a decent phone that has NFC?  

37 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Can you still get new cars with ashtrays? Maybe buy a phone with NFC using the money you save not buying a new car, then you can keep smoking too!

I've fashioned an ashtray on my bicycle handlebars.  The rate I get through my fags I'd have been better off buying a classic car with an ashtray, mind. ??????

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2023 at 08:46, View from the Dolman said:

it's like using contactless on your debit/credit card.

Oh brilliant. I still haven't got the balance right with phone, facial recognition & double tapping while holding it next to the terminal :blink:

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Oh brilliant. I still haven't got the balance right with phone, facial recognition & double tapping while holding it next to the terminal :blink:

It’s why I don’t use Apple Pay with Face ID at the terminal…I’ll still use card…it’s a bit unnatural.  It was fine with my old fingerprint phone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s why I don’t use Apple Pay with Face ID at the terminal…I’ll still use card…it’s a bit unnatural.  It was fine with my old fingerprint phone.

I always use my card, only have it set on the phone after `I forgot my card when we went away for a few days. 
Had another go the other day, just a pain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldland2 said:

Who’s got the latest email from the club stating that there will be a charge for physical season cards for the 24/25 season, can only just afford the season ticket, 

Well I'm glad about that, certain individuals just standing in the way of progress

19 minutes ago, NickNick58 said:

I'm told that if you open your apple phone with face recognition and then double-click the side button the apple wallet will open to your stored credit/debit card which you can then use to pay without messing about anymore.  ????

That works! When I double click it brings up my season tickets, I don’t use Apple Pay so they’re the only thing in my wallet. Cheers for the tip. 

On 10/07/2023 at 06:58, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

I like your creative logic, but I don’t think it will get you very far. With a season card, if it was in your wallet, which was very much your property, would you still be able to refuse to show it to anybody? The answer is “no” because showing it is a requirement of entry. Although you have an image on your phone you don’t own the image, as copyright ownership belongs to the person / company that created it - ie Bristol City / Bristol Sport.