IGNORED

Manchester City could win seven trophies next season.

BCFCGav

Which isn't massively relevant to OTIB but I thought could be an interesting off-season discussion point regardless.

Between their treble win last season and their 'fourmidables' season a few years back, they have previous of going deep in multiple competitions simultaneously. Pep has been open in the fact that there isn't so much a 'priority competition' culture at the club, and more of an 'if we're in it, we want it' attitude. They've always taken the two domestic cups seriously under Pep, which has been to our detriment in both the League Cup and more recently the FA Cup. And now with their maiden Champions League stored safely in Manchester, they've qualified for the UEFA Super Cup; a tricky-but-very-winnable tie with Sevilla, and the Club World Cup where they will face clubs from South America, Africa and beyond.

So, 7 honours up for grabs:

Champions League

Premier League

FA Cup 

League Cup

Club World Cup

UEFA Super Cup

Community Shield

Feel free to wager a guess at how many they get. I honestly wouldn't write them off getting the lot, they're a scary proposition, but I'll go 4. Hope it's lower though.

Edited by BCFCGav

It must be pretty boring to be a Man City fan

If we ever won something meaningful it would be pretty much the best day of my life, even just getting promoted to the Prem would be up there. But for the second/third/fourth trophy in a lifetime I bet the feeling wears off, let alone four/five/six/seven in a season. 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It must be pretty boring to be a Man City fan

If we ever won something meaningful it would be pretty much the best day of my life, even just getting promoted to the Prem would be up there. But for the second/third/fourth trophy in a lifetime I bet the feeling wears off, let alone four/five/six/seven in a season. 

I think once you're one of these 'mega clubs', Man City at this moment, Man United circa 2010, it's about staying there. If Man City went 3 seasons without a trophy now it'd feel like a lifetime, and they'd get hammered for it by rival fans. Once you're at the summit, the motivation is to not fall back down. I'm sure very trophy win still feels very special - and nerve-wracking as ever.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You counting the Papa Johns for their 21's? :fear:

Ha - not quite. First team honours only! The day an unders team wins the Papa John's, a small part of me will die.  

Club World Cup is growing in scope, 32 teams soon.

Which btw is mad, Infantino said a little ago that we need more, much more football but do we??

48 team World Cup

36 team with big group stages Champions Leagues

Nations League in Europe and in on the North American zone

32 Team Club World Cup

Euros up from 16 to 24.

Group stages which didn't exist before in the CL, Europa League and Conference League..was straight knockout in the past.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Which btw is mad, Infantino said a little ago that we need more, much more football but do we??

48 team World Cup

32 Team Club World Cup

Euros up from 16 to 24.

Group stages which didn't exist before in the CL, Europa League and Conference League..was straight knockout in the past.

Infantino is jealous that UEFA gets loads of money every season due to the Champions League (and other UEFA competitions). He thinks it's not right that FIFA only gets loads of money every four seasons when a world cup comes around.

That's why he's expanding the Club World Cup. He wants a cash cow every season.

No, of course we don't need more football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

48 team World Cup

32 Team Club World Cup

Euros up from 16 to 24.

Crazy. 

What he means is that we need more football that generates money for FIFA / UEFA and of course himself.

I love football, as I am sure most on here do, but it’s going to eat itself with people like him a n positions of power.

He does of course need the money, the upkeep on that house in Qatar must be costly.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

We're counting the Super Cup, Club World Cup, and Community Shield as "honours" now are we? Ok.

I’m using the words honours and trophies interchangeably. Obviously some are more prestigious than others, but all three of the above are legitimate competitions. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Infantino is jealous that UEFA gets loads of money every season due to the Champions League (and other UEFA competitions). He thinks it's not right that FIFA only gets loads of money every four seasons when a world cup comes around.

That's why he's expanding the Club World Cup. He wants a cash cow every season.

No, of course we don't need more football.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Crazy. 

What he means is that we need more football that generates money for FIFA / UEFA and of course himself.

I love football, as I am sure most on here do, but it’s going to eat itself with people like him a n positions of power.

He does of course need the money, the upkeep on that house in Qatar must be costly.

Completely agree with you both. Even Blatter didn't push it quite this far.

In certain bits of the world maybe he has a point to develop the game but focus it on the areas thst need it most. European football and South American Football doesn't need help and focus higher quality of competition on Africa, Asia, North America.

UEFA however expanding the CL, the Nations League whixh has its merits especially for some lower countries who can rise the rankings winning vs more at their level but it's beyond saturated now the whole picture. Not picking on individual tournaments, what next an 8 tournament yo expand the Super cup between:

The 3 European trophies

And

The 5 winners of the Domestic Cups.

Two groups of 4, 2 semi finals, a final and a 3rd placed playoff.

I made that up, but would you put it past them! Yet this isn't even a terrible tournament idea it's just the sheer quantity, beyond saturated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

48 team World Cup

32 Team Club World Cup

Euros up from 16 to 24.

Went to EURO 92 in Sweden which was a 8 team tournament 

I think they might do 3 or 4, they are in the final of 2 already and I think they will win them but I don't think they will do 3 on top of that. I can see them doing the league and the FA cup again though, I can't see any competition to them in the league next year at the moment which is a shame.

17 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I’m using the words honours and trophies interchangeably. Obviously some are more prestigious than others, but all three of the above are legitimate competitions. 

Community Shield is a one-off pre-season game.

I wouldn't class that as a meaningful trophy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Community Shield is a one-off pre-season game.

I wouldn't class that as a meaningful trophy.

Everyone has their own opinions. Man City counted it as one of the four in their 'fourmidables' season. It's not massive or anything but if you're in it, better to win it. 

13 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Everyone has their own opinions. Man City counted it as one of the four in their 'fourmidables' season. It's not massive or anything but if you're in it, better to win it. 

It's just a pre season game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

19 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

The Community Shield and Super Cup are exhibition matches. The achievement, prestige, and honour comes in qualifying to play in those games, but the games themselves are little more than friendlies - and that's all they should be. Pretty much on a par with the Johnson Cup or the South Gloucestershire Cup that we've won about 50 times. I'd personally not even bother with a trophy for them.

The Club World Cup is a different kettle of fish, a purely transparent marketing ploy and money spinner that simply allows for the European team to rack up the air miles and have a couple of practice games. No fan I've ever met has ever said they dream of winning it or that they loved it when they did win it. It also gives FIFA a nice photo shoot in whichever country hosts it...checks notes...ah of course it's ******* Saudi Arabia this year. Brilliant. Wonderful. Truly an honour to win that then.

Edited by ExiledAjax

35 minutes ago, Super said:

By definition it’s a competitive fixture as you can’t play trialists. Your players have to be professionally registered.

So while it’s clearly not a trophy of any great magnitude, to call it pre-season is being disingenuous.