IGNORED

Well that was a short spell

phantom

Hi all, well, obviously I’ve got to highlight the first line of the (apparent) Dover Athletic statement: “Following the news today of Ade Shokunbi we had agreed in principal” ... PRINCIPAL?! Principal? - good grief, how standards have dropped (it’s “principle”) ?

Lots of gen x / millennials are running digital outputs for multiple organisations and media outlets and the results are disastrous - just look at the ‘running threads’ at the bottom of the screen on channels such as Sky News, GB News, Talk TV etc - they are full of spelling and grammatical errors that can be appropriately deemed pathetic in the modern world of spell checker etc.

My dear old Dad was a much respected journalist back in the days when they were old school and actually left their desks to get out in the world to find stories on which to report. He was on first name terms with the likes of Morecambe & Wise, Norman Wisdom etc (look it up kids!) yet he left the profession in disgust in the 1980s saying “standards have dropped so far, I no longer want to be part of this” - he was ahead of his time as everything has seemed to plummet since - eg “we had agreed in principal” - Principal? Principle?

Those who ridicule and think this is all trivial are merely contributing to the massive downturn in basic standards. It ain’t important to many, but it is to me ... cheers ?

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hi all, well, obviously I’ve got to highlight the first line of the (apparent) Dover Athletic statement: “Following the news today of Ade Shokunbi we had agreed in principal” ... PRINCIPAL?! Principal? - good grief, how standards have dropped (it’s “principle”) ?

Lots of gen x / millennials are running digital outputs for multiple organisations and media outlets and the results are disastrous - just look at the ‘running threads’ at the bottom of the screen on channels such as Sky News, GB News, Talk TV etc - they are full of spelling and grammatical errors that can be appropriately deemed pathetic in the modern world of spell checker etc.

My dear old Dad was a much respected journalist back in the days when they were old school and actually left their desks to get out in the world to find stories on which to report. He was on first name terms with the likes of Morecambe & Wise, Norman Wisdom etc (look it up kids!) yet he left the profession in disgust in the 1980s saying “standards have dropped so far, I no longer want to be part of this” - he was ahead of his time as everything has seemed to plummet since - eg “we had agreed in principal” - Principal? Principle?

Those who ridicule and think this is all trivial are merely contributing to the massive downturn in basic standards. It ain’t important to many, but it is to me ... cheers ?

Spot on.

I don't pick people up on forums for errors as they are not acting in a professional capacity but I frequently see absolute howlers in online press stories; including within headlines.

There is no excuse for not proof reading such stories, one recent headline spoke of "causalities" after an accident.

This was presumably proffered by the autocorrect spelling after a mistyping, we all do it, but to not realise that it is a different word is shocking.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If he left in the 80s, surely that was due to seeing the work from people born in the 50s/60s... gen x was from the mid 60s or so right?

"Loads of gen x / millennials are running digital outputs"... So you're complaining about people in work under the age of around 65? Which is basically everyone in the country then. Blimey. If only these digital / media outlets were run by a bunch of 80 years olds eh!

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

If he left in the 80s, surely that was due to seeing the work from people born in the 50s/60s... gen x was from the mid 60s or so right?

"Loads of gen x / millennials are running digital outputs"... So you're complaining about people in work under the age of around 65? Which is basically everyone in the country then. Blimey. If only these digital / media outlets were run by a bunch of 80 years olds eh!

It's important to note that there have been errors in writing since writing began. Greek and Roman texts are littered with spelling and grammatical errors. 

Jane Austen, F Scott Fitzgerald and Agatha Christie were all terrible spellers. 

There is a 17th century version of the King James Bible that says "Thou shalt commit adultery".

The word cacao was misspelled as cocoa sometime in the 18th century and stuck.

Popeye's love of spinach is down to an error where the amount of iron provided was given an extra zero in a textbook. 

Our language evolves through mistakes. Words like ammunition, culprit and syllabus are all in use but were borne of mistakes. 

But sure, let's blame Gen X and Millennials. Absolute boomer nonsense. 

Edited by sinenomine
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Shame he couldn't introduce you to Eric and Ernie enough for you to be on the same terms.....!

55 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

It's important to note that there have been errors in writing since writing began. Greek and Roman texts are littered with spelling and grammatical errors. 

Jane Austen, F Scott Fitzgerald and Agatha Christie were all terrible spellers. 

There is a 17th century version of the King James Bible that says "Thou shalt commit adultery".

The word cacao was misspelled as cocoa sometime in the 18th century and stuck.

Popeye's love of spinach is down to an error where the amount of iron provided was given an extra zero in a textbook. 

Our language evolves through mistakes. Words like ammunition, culprit and syllabus are all in use but were borne of mistakes. 

But sure, let's blame Gen X and Millennials. Absolute boomer nonsense. 

OOOOOOoooooohhhh....look at me and how I can google how long spelling mistakes have been commonplace!  Just cuz ur down wi da kidz dunt mean nuttin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1