IGNORED

Top 20 Championship Players of all time

Bristol Rob

Clearly it is subjective, but also clearly that list is utter bollocks.

How many Championship games do you have to have played to qualify?

Andy Cole say, he was quite good..

Very sad what happened to Whittingham but no way in a million years is the best ever. Norwood as well, seriously?

Collymore as mentioned above was sensational, Rob Lee another that was top quality.

Pile of clickbait crap that doesn't even bother setting it's own parameters.

Seven players have won the division 3 times. Not a single one is on that list.

Four players have more than 400 appearances in the Championship. Not a single one is on that list.

I'm not saying that should get them on that list, but it's an indication that this is a list of "players people have heard of and will talk about in the comments/interact with this tweet about".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pile of clickbait crap that doesn't even bother setting it's own parameters.

Seven players have won the division 3 times. Not a single one is on that list.

Four players have more than 400 appearances in the Championship. Not a single one is on that list.

I'm not saying that should get them on that list, but it's an indication that this is a list of "players people have heard of and will talk about in the comments/interact with this tweet about".

Was going to post something similar. Generally it feels like providing opinions which generate social media interest is more important to Second Tier pod compared to, an obvious example, Not The Top 20.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Clearly it is subjective, but also clearly that list is utter bollocks.

How many Championship games do you have to have played to qualify?

Andy Cole say, he was quite good..

Very sad what happened to Whittingham but no way in a million years is the best ever. Norwood as well, seriously?

Collymore as mentioned above was sensational, Rob Lee another that was top quality.

I assume they are talking strictly about “the Championship” which only came into being in 03-04. Plain old League1/Division2 before then. 

But, nevertheless, agree with your overall assessment ?

8 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I remember that game at AG where he destroyed us

Me, too. 4-1 wasn’t it, and Collymore got a hat-trick? I was only a kid back then, but that performance is etched into my memory. His pace was electric. 

Ok, here's a go at an alternative top 5 (**** off am I doing a Top 20). Championship only, so starting with the 2003/04 season. If you loved a player who played before then sorry, I am sure they were wonderful but they won't make this list. 

First, some basic criteria. To be on this list a player must have either i) made at least 100 appearances, or ii) played at least 6,000 minutes in the second tier of English football during or after the 2003/04 season.

This list is primarily stat based, but I've put a couple of wildcards in there as well. All stats are based on transfermarkt.

1. Billy Sharp: the Championship's record goalscorer with 130 goals, "only" 7 of which have been scored against Bristol City. If you want goals at this level and live in 2013, then call Billy's agent.
  2. Albert Adomah: the only outfield player to have made more than 500 appearances (510) in the Championship. Turning out for 6 clubs, scoring 69 goals and notching 73 assists. Everyone's favourite Uncle Albert is Mr. Championship so far as I am concerned.
  3. Lee Camp: the man who holds the record for the number of appearances at this level, with 523. Goalkeepers get forgotten but for nearly two decades Camp was an ever present in the division. 
  4. Chris Martin: ranked fourth for appearances, ranked fifth for goals scored, ranked fourth for points won. There's not really another possibility for the fourth placed spot on this list is there?
  5. David "the Difference" Nugent: 415 appearances with 121 goals. A champion with Leicester in 13/14 and a full England international.

Wildcard: Tammy Abraham: second only to Mitrovic in terms of goals/minute at this level the lanky teenager smashed in 48 goals in just 78 games (he's got over 6,000 minutes though) for first Bristol City and then Aston Villa. I enjoyed watching him, even in our otherwise poor team that season, and he's gone onto have a wonderful career at the very top of the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok, here's a go at an alternative top 5 (**** off am I doing a Top 20). Championship only, so starting with the 2003/04 season. If you loved a player who played before then sorry, I am sure they were wonderful but they won't make this list. 

First, some basic criteria. To be on this list a player must have either i) made at least 100 appearances, or ii) played at least 6,000 minutes in the second tier of English football during or after the 2003/04 season.

This list is primarily stat based, but I've put a couple of wildcards in there as well. All stats are based on transfermarkt.

1. Billy Sharp: the Championship's record goalscorer with 130 goals, "only" 7 of which have been scored against Bristol City. If you want goals at this level and live in 2013, then call Billy's agent.
  2. Albert Adomah: the only outfield player to have made more than 500 appearances (510) in the Championship. Turning out for 6 clubs, scoring 69 goals and notching 73 assists. Everyone's favourite Uncle Albert is Mr. Championship so far as I am concerned.
  3. Lee Camp: the man who holds the record for the number of appearances at this level, with 523. Goalkeepers get forgotten but for nearly two decades Camp was an ever present in the division. 
  4. Chris Martin: ranked fourth for appearances, ranked fifth for goals scored, ranked fourth for points won. There's not really another possibility for the fourth placed spot on this list is there?
  5. David "the Difference" Nugent: 415 appearances with 121 goals. A champion with Leicester in 13/14 and a full England international.

Wildcard: Tammy Abraham: second only to Mitrovic in terms of goals/minute at this level the lanky teenager smashed in 48 goals in just 78 games (he's got over 6,000 minutes though) for first Bristol City and then Aston Villa. I enjoyed watching him, even in our otherwise poor team that season, and he's gone onto have a wonderful career at the very top of the game.

Basic criteria should also include “not an arsehole”. Which would rule out your No. 1 ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Basic criteria should also include “not an arsehole”. Which would rule out your No. 1 ?

I did seriously debate including that...but when it precludes the all time top scorer I think you just half to swallow your medicine and begrudgingly include him. I'd be all for swapping him with Albert though. Albert's really my number one.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

Me, too. 4-1 wasn’t it, and Collymore got a hat-trick? I was only a kid back then, but that performance is etched into my memory. His pace was electric. 

That was around xmas time and sure we played the day before against West brom away from home?

2 hours ago, RedEd73 said:

If not going for longevity, surely Neves and Jota at Wolves must be in the conversation.

If not going for longevity then Scott & Bellingham, given the career they're going to have should be there.  Like others have said - there's no indication as to the metrics used, in which case it's all a load of bollocks!

• Like 1