IGNORED

EFL highlights show to be revamped

Just now, phantom said:

The 15 minutes dedicated sky highlights package was always better viewing 

Surely that depends what you want.

If you just want to see City highlights, 15 minutes of a single match might work a treat. 

Anyone wanting to follow the entirety of the EFL isn't likely to want 15 minutes of 12 Championship games (that's 3 hours) plus whatever they put out of Leagues One and Two. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If you just want to see City highlights, 15 minutes of a single match might work a treat. 

Anyone wanting to follow the entirety of the EFL isn't likely to want 15 minutes of 12 Championship games (that's 3 hours) plus whatever they put out of Leagues One and Two. 

Personally have no interest in anyone except City 

Not sure why anyone would want to watch anyone else 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

The 15 mins isn’t anywhere near 15 mins of action though, it’s padded with adverts at either end and seems to show 4/5/6 replays of the same piece of action.  The actual amount shown isn’t a million miles off what ITV were showing.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

Because we enjoy watching football ??‍♂️ 

And want to know how our rivals, future opponents etc are getting on. Much as I love City, I struggle to understand why somebody would only watch City and no other football at all. If he's taking the dog for a walk in the park, he must have to shut his eyes if there is a pub game going on. ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

I must admit watching the old show I did wonder why they did not start with League 2 and work up to the Championship it seemed the wrong way around to me.

It’s how any football highlights show works - you show the feature games that are likely to get most attention (in this case the championship) and then work down. MOTD never shows Brentford 0-0 Tottenham first for example.

Edited by Silvio Dante

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s how any football highlights show works - you show the feature games that are likely to get most attention (in this case the championship) and then work down. MOTD never shows Brentford 0-0 Tottenham 0 first for example.

I just used to think that a lot of people might have turned off once the championship highlights finished and not bothered to watch the rest, and holding back the higher quality meant they may have stayed to the end, though I expect most people recorded it like me and cut out all the filler.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Personally have no interest in anyone except City 

Not sure why anyone would want to watch anyone else 

Obviously City are my number 1 club but I’m also interested in other Championship results - especially those that are around us in the table.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Surely you want to expand your knowledge of the teams and players we might be coming up against?

Only watching City is akin to watching the game in a footballing echo chamber. 

I've no interest in how our future opponents are playing, I'll leave that to our staff to worry about 

There's more than enough football across our TVs to get a decent fix 

I'm not sure what else people want to see, these shows only tend to show the goals from most games so you'll still be getting all that, just less waffle 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The 15 mins isn’t anywhere near 15 mins of action though, it’s padded with adverts at either end and seems to show 4/5/6 replays of the same piece of action.  The actual amount shown isn’t a million miles off what ITV were showing.

This is true, but that's the same with the main package, people have moaned in the past that we are only on for seconds, well this solves that 

Sky ALSO have a show with highlights so that's not changing, and the goals are still being shown on terrestrial TV 

Seeing as I haven't enjoyed the program that much since Colin Murray left , I doubt it will be much worse. The last incarnation wasn't great, presenter passable but the "experts" were just annoying. It seemed like Ashton and the rest considered looking at the League table , research. 
IMO it was better with stats guys ( was it Gab Sutton for a while ? can't remember the other one), they were genuinely interested and had a proper knowledge of the EFL.  
TBH I'd be happy with a voice over and extended highlights of the games. Would be great if they did a proper dissection of games on a Sunday, but it's not the Prem so no chance of that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Seeing as I haven't enjoyed the program that much since Colin Murray left , I doubt it will be much worse. The last incarnation wasn't great, presenter passable but the "experts" were just annoying. It seemed like Ashton and the rest considered looking at the League table , research. 
IMO it was better with stats guys ( was it Gab Sutton for a while ? can't remember the other one), they were genuinely interested and had a proper knowledge of the EFL.  
TBH I'd be happy with a voice over and extended highlights of the games. Would be great if they did a proper dissection of games on a Sunday, but it's not the Prem so no chance of that. 

No, was George and Ali from NTT20.

• Thanks 1

Shame they didn't bring Colin Murray over to ITV, someone with genuine enthusiasm for the EFL.

Instead they picked these two who clearly didn't have the knowledge required, with one of them even presenting a Premier League show during the day on Saturdays whilst all the EFL games are taking place!

Watch EFL highlights on ITV - News - EFL Official Website

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Shame they didn't bring Colin Murray over to ITV, someone with genuine enthusiasm for the EFL.

Instead they picked these two who clearly didn't have the knowledge required, with one of them even presenting a Premier League show during the day on Saturdays whilst all the EFL games are taking place!

Watch EFL highlights on ITV - News - EFL Official Website

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Just finished watching the highlight show and thought it was a big improvement, it reminded me of the old Championship show itv did on a Sunday morning , exact same format pic one game for extended highlights and extra contact and goals from the other games,

I thought it good to give a non sky game the extended highlights also enjoyed the interviews with players and management actually learned a bit about the Plymouth side, 

Didn't mind not having a so called expect look at a few of the goals they didn't do it properly on the previous version of the show so not a big loss, goals and a little action from all the other games worked well, 

Time it didn't drag like last year's show that I often used to find myself fast forward to the city game, 

Be interesting to see if they are at the gate any time soon to give us the full match day experience

• Like 1

7 hours ago, winsaw said:

Didn't mind not having a so called expect look at a few of the goals they didn't do it properly on the previous version of the show so not a big loss, goals and a little action from all the other games worked well, 

It worked on Quest with Colin Murray because he knew the leagues, had an interest in it and could pose decent questions to the pundits.  He’d reference results from previous weeks or give an insight which allowed the pundit to spin off into an opinion piece. 

Get two presenters in who’ve no interest or knowledge as ITV did and you reduce pundits to really basic followup to their inane openers etc “A good win today coming from behind… they’ll be really happy with that result today won’t they?”

• Like 1

That said, not a fan of the revamp last night. 

Third game shown was the Friday Sky game and by that point that starts you’re over 30 minutes in, have had two ad breaks and it’s been almost exclusively Plymouth-Huddersfield dominated bar the Blackburn highlights. 

Don’t mind there being an extended game but to feature it & various interviews for well over half of the time you’re showing Championship highlights is too much. Especially when it inevitably will end up being a crap game between two crap teams.

3 minutes ago, t_b said:

That said, not a fan of the revamp last night. 

Third game shown was the Friday Sky game and by that point that starts you’re over 30 minutes in, have had two ad breaks and it’s been almost exclusively Plymouth-Huddersfield dominated bar the Blackburn highlights. 

Don’t mind there being an extended game but to feature it & various interviews for well over half of the time you’re showing Championship highlights is too much. Especially when it inevitably will end up being a crap game between two crap teams.

The alternative view is that at least it wasn’t the usual suspects hogging the limelight, which this season will presumably be Leeds, Leicester and Southampton as the newly relegated clubs, whose games are more likely to be shunted around to accommodate Sky live coverage. Plus a chance for the Janners to enjoy their moment back at this level, plus beating Colin in the process!

I wondered if they had extra interviews last night as 3 games are being played today so felt there was more time to do more ?

Once the first half an hour went by it flowed more .

Unfortunately they cannot please everyone with the amount of highlights per game .

Trouble is the adverts breaks don’t help but obviously have to be done.

Suppose if they didn’t have the interview then there would be the usual bland cliches punditry instead .

Edited by Markthehorn

I thought it was awful. Too much time spent on the main game, even coming back to interview Warnock and Huddersfield players after seeing highlights of other games! 

It was also badly edited in places. The voiceover levels on some of the roundups could barely be heard over the crowd noise. 

There was nothing wrong with the old format.

Next week I'll record it and skip through the interviews and ad breaks.

• Thanks 2