IGNORED

A walk around the stadium and a chat with Alan Walsh

oldie

The popular Walkers & Talkers sessions that former Gloucestershire cricketer Andy Brassington has been running at The County Ground (Seat Unique), is moving to Ashton Gate for one week on Wednesday 12th July. The special guest is Alan Walsh, who will take place in a Q&A for around an hour. Before that, there is a walk around the ground (last time we went through the dressing rooms etc on a tour of the stand) for around an hour. 

Meet up in the sports bar (that’s where we met last time anyway) at around 10am. It’s free (including tea, coffee and biscuits). These are very informal and friendly events. The whole thing normally ends around 12noon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Great initiative.

I would come along to this but fear Alan would slightly shimmy one way during the walk and leave me flat on my arse.

Having chatted to Walshy several times down here in Portishead, I can tell you that he would never avoid a chance of a chat. Sometimes it's all you can do to get away :) . Absolute gem of a man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Having chatted to Walshy several times down here in Portishead, I can tell you that he would never avoid a chance of a chat. Sometimes it's all you can do to get away :) . Absolute gem of a man.

Absolutely a top bloke , 

I know he was poorly a few years ago is he back to full fitness so to speak , really hope he is 

use to see him now and again in the Royal always had time for everybody 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redkev said:

Absolutely a top bloke , 

I know he was poorly a few years ago is he back to full fitness so to speak , really hope he is 

use to see him now and again in the Royal always had time for everybody 

He seems in good form to me, his wife is lovely too and my wife gets on well with her and her friend. I think she is hoping to get a chance to meet Kelsey Grammer when he and their daughter come over in August. :) 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He seems in good form to me, his wife is lovely too and my wife gets on well with her and her friend. I think she is hoping to get a chance to meet Kelsey Grammer when he and their daughter come over in August. :) 

Don’t forget Kelsey Grammer is his son-in-law, as whilst chatting I called him his father in law, which Alan, with a smile, corrected me!?

Edited by East End Old Boy
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Still can’t get over that we got him for just 18K 

Which is a good enough nudge to raise just once again how remarkable a manager Terry Cooper was.  We got him for 18k and Coops went up to Darlo with a van and helped him move down here.  Legends...both of them,

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Still can’t get over that we got him for just 18K 

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Which is a good enough nudge to raise just once again how remarkable a manager Terry Cooper was.  We got him for 18k and Coops went up to Darlo with a van and helped him move down here.  Legends...both of them,

And the fact we offered 20k and Coops put such a great case to the tribunal regarding how much we would increase his wages, that we got him for less than we offered. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miser said:

Cracking morning. Tour of the ground and an interesting and humorous interview with Walsh. Next week's session is at the memorial tip. Might go along if I can find my hard hat and protective boots for the building site.

Take some tools with you there’s a rumour that there building a new stand some time soon ???

Thoroughly enjoyable few hours, well organised. Very interesting to see the changing and treatment  rooms, and the warm up area. Whole tour was very well carried out by Jerry Tocknell who was both funny and explanatory. Fascinating talk by Alan Walsh to  round things off. How things have changed since he became a pro. footballer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Desso said:

Thoroughly enjoyable few hours, well organised. Very interesting to see the changing and treatment  rooms, and the warm up area. Whole tour was very well carried out by Jerry Tocknell who was both funny and explanatory. Fascinating talk by Alan Walsh to  round things off. How things have changed since he became a pro. footballer.

I did think about coming down, until I saw the forecast and the rain started.

Hope they do it again. 

Edited by 1960maaan

7 hours ago, miser said:

Cracking morning. Tour of the ground and an interesting and humorous interview with Walsh. Next week's session is at the memorial tip. Might go along if I can find my hard hat and protective boots for the building site.

i think you be better off going to the doctor and getting jabbed up against some of the nasty diseases

Good morning all round. Interesting to see parts of the ground you wouldn't normally see (Trauma Room - what must go in there), and how the various elements of the club are focussed to create a top side. Walshy was in good form too, and I suspect we would have sat there all day if we could to hear all his stories. Not surprised there so many turned up for the event though - we might not get many more for the opening League game.

Thanks to all the organisers and hopefully there will be more.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, miser said:

17 hours ago, Desso said:

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Good morning all round. Interesting to see parts of the ground you wouldn't normally see (Trauma Room - what must go in there), and how the various elements of the club are focussed to create a top side. Walshy was in good form too, and I suspect we would have sat there all day if we could to hear all his stories. Not surprised there so many turned up for the event though - we might not get many more for the opening League game.

Thanks to all the organisers and hopefully there will be more.

As with all the above, enjoyable morning, Alan is a great guy, and kudos to Mark Kelly supporting it. Think Jerry enjoyed the time away from his other duties, which appear to be full time digital ticketing and new branding complaints! ?