IGNORED

Championship Pre-Season Games

bcfc01

Just thought that it may be mildly interesting to post Championship teams pre-season results.

Granted, it isn't a reflection of how teams are going to perform in the league, but may or may not be of interest.

Read or ignore.

18th July

Bristol City 7-1 Swindon

FGR 0-4 Coventry

Murcia 0-0 Sheff. Weds

Torquay 1-1 Plymouth

Cheltenham 1-0 WBA

Hull 1-0 Barnsley

Sutton 0-3 Millwall

19th July

Leicester 4-2 Leuven

Alkmaar 1-1 Norwich

Braga 1-0 Cardiff

PNE 1-2 Ipswich

Rotherham 0-2 Middlesbrough

Northampton 0-1 Birmingham

Salford 2-2 WBA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The really stark realisation of how little pre-season results matter came in 2014 for me. Before we won the double and got oh so close to 100 points I watched as we lost to Weston-Super-Mare.

Not a dig OP, just an anecdote I like to share. I’m sure many others recall that evening. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The really stark realisation of how little pre-season results matter came in 2014 for me. Before we won the double and got oh so close to 100 points I watched as we lost to Weston-Super-Mare.

Not a dig OP, just an anecdote I like to share. I’m sure many others recall that evening. 

Yep, first game of that season I remember watching us deservedly beat Sheffield United away. 

As I said, its mildly interesting (or not for most).

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep, first game of that season I remember watching us deservedly beat Sheffield United away. 

As I said, its mildly interesting (or not for most).

I was on holiday for that Sheffield United game. My Gashead Uncle was having a lot of fun taking the piss... up until the Wade Elliot (I think?) winner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

New Mexico 2-3 Sunderland today.

Other news, Chelsea beat Wrexham 5-0.

Wrexham have LA Galaxy and Man. Utd coming up...

All ready to be transmitted to their “legions of fans” in North America no doubt. Much though I think it’s great for the long-standing local Wrexham fans, who have been through some pretty tough times, to have some success and then see their team play some bigger clubs in pre-season, perhaps some games that might actually prepare them for life back in League 2 would be more appropriate...

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

All ready to be transmitted to their “legions of fans” in North America no doubt. Much though I think it’s great for the long-standing local Wrexham fans, who have been through some pretty tough times, to have some success and then see their team play some bigger clubs in pre-season, perhaps some games that might actually prepare them for life back in League 2 would be more appropriate...

Can't argue with that.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Noticed a couple of scores tonight. Dunno if behind closed doors, fans, whatever.

Fleetwood Town 0 Blackburn Rovers 0

Oxford United 1 Swansea City 0

Swansea fans are raging about the performance. They say that their team had no pressing and were poor in possession. 

I do wonder what sort of team Oxford will be sending down to play us 2moro.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Swansea fans are raging about the performance. They say that their team had no pressing and were poor in possession. 

I do wonder what sort of team Oxford will be sending down to play us 2moro.

image.thumb.png.4ff09277e8be6b21955e579e414bf63b.png

Seems a bit strange to play us tomorrow, having played a pretty much full-strength team tonight.  Swansea full-strength too.

Edited by Davefevs

I see Ryley Towler captained the team for Portsmouths game against Havant last week (1-0 win) - good for him.

(they beat Crawley 9-1 yesterday)

Tuesdays opponents Exeter got thumped 4-1 by Torquay yesterday.

Not a lot of bearing on the season of course (before somebody states the obvious), just observations.

Just thought I'd take a look at PNE's preparations.

I had them down for a relegation struggle this season, but they've made a couple of good signings and Mads Frokjaer looked very good with two goals in their win over Aberdeen.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2023/july/highlights-pne-2-aberdeen-0/

Their previous two games saw them lose to Barrow (a) and Ipswich (h).

On 20/07/2023 at 20:21, weepywall said:

349 Ipswich fans at Preston for a ps friendly, that's impressive and not championship related but Newcastle took 8000 to Rangers the other night, that is incredible support for a "friendly". 

nothing to do up in Newcastle though is there? apart from fighting and footy.

20 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Just thought I'd take a look at PNE's preparations.

I had them down for a relegation struggle this season, but they've made a couple of good signings and Mads Frokjaer looked very good with two goals in their win over Aberdeen.

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2023/july/highlights-pne-2-aberdeen-0/

Their previous two games saw them lose to Barrow (a) and Ipswich (h).

There Danish player scored twice with good shots. We have to look up for there number 10.

Down to the nitty gritty tonight/tomorrow with the last pre-season game for most championship clubs.

WBA lost at Forest Green tonight, but that would have been a younger/fringe squad as they play Bolton tomorrow.

Ipswich had a double header of 30 mins each way and beat RB Leipzig 1-0 and drew with Werder Bremen 1-1.

Blackburn beat Stockport 1-0 but play Girona tomorrow so that would have been a second string.

Leicester play Liverpool tomorrow and Leeds play Hearts.

Then the fun starts.