IGNORED

could Radio Bristols FREE football commentarys be coming to an end?

Peterborough United have terminated BBC Cambridgeshires radio commentarys a year early and Peterborough will bring the commentarys in house from this season(2023/24)

I fear for BBC local radio football commmentaries future,taking into account that starting season 2024/25, as FIVE of the twelve Championship games over the weekend will be shown LIVE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Peterborough United have terminated BBC Cambridgeshires radio commentarys a year early and Peterborough will bring the commentarys in house from this season(2023/24)

I fear for BBC local radio football commmentaries future,taking into account that starting season 2024/25, as FIVE of the twelve Championship games over the weekend will be shown LIVE.

The bbc is failing to attract younger veiwers because it’s seen a a useless, outdated ring for peado’s by young people! 

Old people are dying off and the young people have so much choice than older people had when the was 3/4 channels! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

That doesn’t sound great! I like the Radio Bristol commentary for us. Always critical if necessary, but the red tinted specs go on when required. It would be a shame to have to listen to some beige commentator spouting the corporate line like they do on Robins TV.

As an aside, I’d always assumed the Radio Bristol commentary was like a national package with the EFL and all the BBC local stations. Bit worrying it isn’t to be honest. I’m not too worried about paying but I do like Messrs Owers and Honor telling it how it is with passion for our club.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Sheffield Wednesday did this in 2018 I believe, unsure for how long but they're back on board now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

The bbc is failing to attract younger veiwers because it’s seen a a useless, outdated ring for peado’s by young people! 

Old people are dying off and the young people have so much choice than older people had when the was 3/4 channels! 

Don't hold back Sir Rog!

BBC TV may have turned into a load of unwatchable rubbish (even their major soap Eastenders is down to only about a million viewers) but I really like a lot of the radio output including the local radio football commentary.  Sound of the City was, and hopefully still is, an absolute gem.

Don't throw the baby of their radio stations out with the bathwater of their TV channels.

Why do radios have stations, and televisions have channels?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-radios-have-stations-and-televisions-have-channels?share=1

• Like 5

Hopefully, the OS will continue with RB commentary on their audio through Robins TV, again this season, especially with Gary and Chris co-commentators , it's the only way ex pats can keep in touch with the live action. Good value as well.  For a few games last season there was a problem with the RB feed, listening to the Robins TV commentary was terrible, as it's meant for the viewing audience so they don't go into detail like the radio commentary does. 

The future of the BBC overall is up for debate, never mind local stuff. There have been comments that after the end of the present contract, the funding system is going to have a massive overhaul. That almost certainly means the current license fee will be either changed greatly or scrapped altogether. Stand by for a sea change in British broadcasting and a 21st Century application of technology.

• Like 1

• Admin

Citys "Sounds of the City" is to continue.

Rovers "Having A Gas" is to continue.

Commentary on Rovers and City matches is to continue.

The "powers that be" have decided that Yeovil's coverage, even though they've dropped down to the 6th tier, will continue the same as last season.

Bath City, Weston Super Mare and Chippenham will get increased coverage compared to last season.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Redandproud said:

I've just read on Robin's TV site, that from now on we cannot listen to City away games on Radio Bristol FM frequency's, only available through Digital Radio, if we want commentary on away games we'll need to pay £2.50 to listen to Robin's TV audio, please correct if I'm wrong, 

I thought most people would have a dab radio nowadays they been around longer than we been above the gas... 

4 hours ago, Redandproud said:

I've just read on Robin's TV site, that from now on we cannot listen to City away games on Radio Bristol FM frequency's, only available through Digital Radio, if we want commentary on away games we'll need to pay £2.50 to listen to Robin's TV audio, please correct if I'm wrong, 

I haven’t seen the “no FM” commentary message. I live too far away from Bristol to get it on FM or DAB anyway so I pay for Robins TV audio (because commentary on internet radio is not allowed). You can also pay £5 for a month or £45 for a year. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eardun said:

I haven’t seen the “no FM” commentary message. I live too far away from Bristol to get it on FM or DAB anyway so I pay for Robins TV audio (because commentary on internet radio is not allowed). You can also pay £5 for a month or £45 for a year. 

Me too.

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

I thought most people would have a dab radio nowadays they been around longer than we been above the gas... 

I don't. I have to access RB commentary via Robins TV as I live out of the area. It would be great if you could synch RB commentary with the live video feed when it is available (like they do for England games).

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Well I haven't got a DAB radio, I bought a small (,pocket) radio last season but for some reason RB didn't broadcast City away matches on  FM frequency, 

16 hours ago, eardun said:

Have you got an Alexa (or maybe something similar?) If I tell mine to play BBC Radio Bristol, it  comes on no issues. I live in Essex, it's predominantly West Ham or Spurs where I am (20 mins or so from London).

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Worth remembering too that a lot of car radios aren`t DAB.

Most cars less than 5 years old have DAB.

10 minutes ago, Taz said:

Have you got an Alexa (or maybe something similar?) If I tell mine to play BBC Radio Bristol, it  comes on no issues. I live in Essex, it's predominantly West Ham or Spurs where I am (20 mins or so from London).

That is probably because it’s coming via BBC Sounds, which would be a free option anywhere in the world (my Sounds App has been working fine in Canada for the past 3 weeks).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I can never get Alexa to play the commentary, gives me the message about it being an Internet broadcast.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Have you ever picked up City commentary though? I would expect you are picking up Radio Bristol on the internet and commentary is not provided/permitted on the internet feed. You can listen to the pre and post match content, but not the commentary. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I can never get Alexa to play the commentary, gives me the message about it being an Internet broadcast.

57 minutes ago, eardun said:

Have you ever picked up City commentary though? I would expect you are picking up Radio Bristol on the internet and commentary is not provided/permitted on the internet feed. You can listen to the pre and post match content, but not the commentary. 

To be fair I'm usually out so not sure about the commentary ? 

On 02/08/2023 at 12:07, Redandproud said:

You can subscribe for a month for £5, this is what I do every season through PayPal. It's better than paying for the year as you can cancel during International breaks.