IGNORED

Wrexham have flown to eight domestic games.

21 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Now I don't have a problem with any football club flying to long distance away games,

but could Wrexham not put on a FREE football special on condition you had bought a match ticket in advance?

Lost me here.

Are you saying the players should buy themselves a ticket to get travel to a match they are playing in?

Or they should run a coach from the ground to the United States.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Lost me here.

Are you saying the players should buy themselves a ticket to get travel to a match they are playing in?

Or they should run a coach from the ground to the United States.

Does this help?

Wrexham: Study finds club took 16 domestic flights in National League promotion season.

Flying to North America for high profile fixtures would appear to make commercial sense for the newly promoted Welsh side riding the wave of interest generated by their high-profile owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

But as Wrexham returned to the football league after a 15-year absence last season, BBC Sport research showed they also took eight domestic return flights to non-league rivals including Eastleigh, Gateshead and Barnet.

Fourteen of those 16 journeys departed from and returned to Manchester Airport. The shortest flight was just 29 minutes and the average flight time was 43.5 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Does this help?

Wrexham: Study finds club took 16 domestic flights in National League promotion season.

Flying to North America for high profile fixtures would appear to make commercial sense for the newly promoted Welsh side riding the wave of interest generated by their high-profile owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

But as Wrexham returned to the football league after a 15-year absence last season, BBC Sport research showed they also took eight domestic return flights to non-league rivals including Eastleigh, Gateshead and Barnet.

Fourteen of those 16 journeys departed from and returned to Manchester Airport. The shortest flight was just 29 minutes and the average flight time was 43.5 minutes.

Certainly adds a bit more context! 

Probably a lot better for the players in most cases and could well be offset by the cost of accommodation, but 29 minutes doesn't seem that long to be spending flying to your game and maybe a road trip would have been better. 

Average flight time of 43.5 minutes is about 20 minutes less than it takes to fly from Bristol to Edinburgh, so they'll have covered a fair few miles. Wonder how many of the players live in Wrexham or how many choose to live in Manchester. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably a lot better for the players in most cases and could well be offset by the cost of accommodation

Good point. Initially it seems excessive to fly to away matches especially in the non league but taking travel time and accommodation into consideration it makes more sense.

It certainly worked for Wrexham.

• Admin

It's just more column inches for Wrexham and their PR bandwagon, they are not the only team to do this and I am sure we flew on a number of occasions

If anyone is interested here are their flight details 

Wrexham v Journey Flight time (minutes)
Eastleigh Manchester to Southampton 46
  Southampton to Manchester 44
Maidstone Manchester to London Biggin Hill 44
  London Biggin Hill to Manchester 45
Gateshead Manchester to Newcastle 47
  Newcastle to Manchester 29
Maidenhead Manchester to London Oxford 39
  London Oxford to Manchester 32
Dagenham & Redbridge Manchester to London Southend 44
  London Southend to Manchester 50
Bromley Manchester to London Biggin Hill 62
  London Biggin Hill to Manchester 49
Barnet Manchester to Luton 38
  Luton to Manchester 37
Torquay Liverpool to Exeter 47
  Exeter to Liverpool 44

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

For some of those, they must be on the road for more than two hours per single trip. Wrexham to Dagenham must be about 3 and a half hours driving but Wrexham to Manchester and Southend to Dagenham must be at least two hours.

It's mad

Yeah, with all the faff of getting to the aiport then time taken actually boarding/disembarking, flight time, getting to other end and getting on a coach to get to the respective ground...some must be quicker just to go direct by coach...

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably a lot better for the players in most cases and could well be offset by the cost of accommodation, but 29 minutes doesn't seem that long to be spending flying to your game and maybe a road trip would have been better. 

Average flight time of 43.5 minutes is about 20 minutes less than it takes to fly from Bristol to Edinburgh, so they'll have covered a fair few miles. Wonder how many of the players live in Wrexham or how many choose to live in Manchester. 

The average flight time quoted is about the same as Bristol to Newcastle, having driven it numerous times and flown it quite a bit I would be leaving the coach in the garage, it's a no brainer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Short haul flights are particularly bad:

Avoid short-haul flights – Multiple reports, including from NASA and The University of San Francisco have shown that a significant portion (an estimated 10-30%) of airplane emissions occur during takeoff and landing. This means that if you take a lot of short-haul flights, you tend to have a higher per-pound footprint.2

The logic from this is that aircraft should fly the long way around to get to the destination - eg instead of flying from Bristol to London directly, the plane should go via a loop around Iceland. That way the % of emissions on take off and landing would be reduced. I doubt that many people have thought of this simple solution 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Yeah, with all the faff of getting to the aiport then time taken actually boarding/disembarking, flight time, getting to other end and getting on a coach to get to the respective ground...some must be quicker just to go direct by coach...

But its not really ideal for professional footballers to be sat still on a coach for 4 hours numerous times a season is it?

I think I remember reading about some of our players in the past injuries being put down to the amount of driving they did. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

When Man City came down here last season, they sent their two coaches down to Bristol by road. The players then flew from Manchester to Bristol where their coaches collected them and then took them to the Marriot Royal. They then brought their two coaches to Ashton Gate. 

After the game their coaches them dropped them off at the airport before making the trip back to Manchester. 

So they sent their two coaches all the way down to Bristol just to provide short trips between airport>hotel>stadium>airport.

That is pretty standard for premier league clubs to do that. 

I've got no issue with the flying but sending their own coaches down rather than using local coaches is a bit of a piss take.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When Man City came down here last season, they sent their two coaches down to Bristol by road. The players then flew from Manchester to Bristol where their coaches collected them and then took them to the Marriot Royal. They then brought their two coaches to Ashton Gate. 

After the game their coaches them dropped them off at the airport before making the trip back to Manchester. 

So they sent their two coaches all the way down to Bristol just to provide short trips between airport>hotel>stadium>airport.

I've got no issue with the flying but sending their own coaches down rather than using local coaches is a bit of a piss take.

Buglers ( for those old enough to remember them ) would have been the perfect local company to pick up those Man City super stars ?     Doubt they would have made it from the Marriott to Ashton gate

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, redkev said:

Buglers ( for those old enough to remember them ) would have been the perfect local company to pick up those Man City super stars ?     Doubt they would have made it from the Marriott to Ashton gate

I think Len Mundon  coaches were of the same quality aswell ?

Edited by redkev

36 minutes ago, redkev said:

I don't know what Company City used then, but the first away game I went to on the Supporters coach . 
Derby about 76, stopped at the Services and was asked as we were about continue the journey, to get off and bump start the coach. Now that was quality Coaches.

Also see "wheel falling off on the way to QPR" 

#NoExpenceSpent

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Exactly the same as we do!

15 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The logic from this is that aircraft should fly the long way around to get to the destination - eg instead of flying from Bristol to London directly, the plane should go via a loop around Iceland. That way the % of emissions on take off and landing would be reduced. I doubt that many people have thought of this simple solution 

A logic from the Daily Express school of how inflation works! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, redkev said:

Not a problem in those days though; they’d have stopped at the chip shop on the way for some lunch while the driver fixed the widgets! 

17 hours ago, redkev said:

On a serious note, Len Munden lost an arm in WW2 but overcame this adversity to obtain a PSV licence and become a coach driver.