IGNORED

New approach to timekeeping, EFL refs

Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Cue the 100th minute equaliser against us on opening day!

Seriously though, I loved how much additional time was added during the WC. It was notable that towards the end of the WC, less time was being added as players realised there was nothing to gain from wasting time.

I sort of thought the officials just gave up on adding as much extra time but that makes so much more sense ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Yea expect more stoppage time. On paper - a good thing for us as how often do teams shithouse us to insanity at Ashton Gate. But this is football, so I’m sure it’ll find a way to **** us over ?

17 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Seriously though, I loved how much additional time was added during the WC. It was notable that towards the end of the WC, less time was being added as players realised there was nothing to gain from wasting time.

How it will happen is:

We will be a goal up and playing well.

Team B will waste time, shithouse, niggle etc.

We will be the ones who lose out, drop 2 points through a last minute fluke screamer/deflected scrappy goal/dodgy penalty probably hit on the break in the extra time despite it being brought about by their time wasting. :)

10 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Will last a couple of weeks or so before coaches find a new way to "game manage" time. Seen it all before when these new regulations are introduced....

If they literally stop the clock for these points, then that would rather negate this.

15-20 minutes stoppage time in a half would not be uncommon- but there we go.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like there will be a new approach to timekeeping in matches in the EFL, along with PGMOL etc.

Perhaps along the lines of or similar to the World Cup in November-December.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/july/match-officials-adopt-new-approach-for-202324-season/

Great news.   Sick and tired of the time wasting aspect of the game.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It'll be interesting to see on average how much extra time is actually added to games. 

Games could in theory be finishing 20 minutes later than usual. 

Worth considering when it comes to travel...and I guess also for TV schedules. 

I also note that they intend to clamp down on players stopping free kicks being taken and not retreating 10 yards...with bookings being given. I hope they do.

Good news - hopefully it'll put an end to the obvious time wasting that all teams employ.

Bad news - for those who already face a rush back to the station on a Tuesday night for the last train, or for those who bring kids and suddenly find themselves getting home 15 or 20 minutes later than usual.

Compromise 7.30pm kick offs?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Yep. Similar happening at women's wc

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

It'll be interesting to see on average how much extra time is actually added to games. 

Games could in theory be finishing 20 minutes later than usual. 

Worth considering when it comes to travel...and I guess also for TV schedules. 

I also note that they intend to clamp down on players stopping free kicks being taken and not retreating 10 yards...with bookings being given. I hope they do.

In Aussie Rules footy the clock is stopped at every stop in play, everytime the ball goes out of play etc, etc, then resumed when play starts. I have no problem with this but it can lead to up to 10mins extra per quarter, which is a considerable time when transport etc has to be considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Whatever happened to the 10 yard rule anyway?

Dissent or probably not retreating the full distance quickly enough had the free kick brought forward, why did they abolish it just stop using it?

I think it was simply because it wasn't applied consistently.

Should be brought back with an amendment imo.  If a player picks the ball up, runs x number of yards, then the free kick should be allowed to be taken from anywhere within that x radius the ball was dropped. thrown back, kicked etc.  That allows the team to move it forward or back however it benefits them best.  However....  That would be even less likely to be implemented consistently.

26 minutes ago, bpexile said:

In Aussie Rules footy the clock is stopped at every stop in play, everytime the ball goes out of play etc, etc, then resumed when play starts. I have no problem with this but it can lead to up to 10mins extra per quarter, which is a considerable time when transport etc has to be considered.

There was talk of looking at how long on average the ball is in play during a match and making a change to the "90 minute" match time.  I can't remember what the figure was they came up with but I think it was somewhere around the hour mark that the ball is actually in play and so game would be adjusted to 30/35 minutes each way with the clock stopped when the ball becomes dead.  That would be the biggest single change to football as a whole for decades.

• Like 1

Glad to see they have finally noticed the deliberately time wasting celebrations. Especially in the PL every outfield player (and often some subs) joins in the huddle meaning defenders jog up to 50 yards to hug and pat everybody on the head. Then of course we have to have the choreographed dance from the scorer and one or more team mates before slowly going back to the half way line.

If you watch games from the 1970s on YouTube players were in almost indecent haste to get back for the kick off!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How it will happen is:

We will be a goal up and playing well.

Team B will waste time, shithouse, niggle etc.

We will be the ones who lose out, drop 2 points through a last minute fluke screamer/deflected scrappy goal/dodgy penalty probably hit on the break in the extra time despite it being brought about by their time wasting. :)

Struggling to understand your logic here, where is the value in a side that’s losing wasting time?

Brilliant couple of posts on the QPR forum about this asking how quickly it will be that Preston find a way around this as they are the most blatant offenders, (actually probably is Stoke now, for obvious reasons) first suggestion was because collisions between team mates don’t apply to the leaving the field criteria they’ll start doing that.

How referees have failed to spot Daniel Johnson repeatedly stopping free kicks being taken over the years baffles me as much as our lack of penalties.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Struggling to understand your logic here, where is the value in a side that’s losing wasting time?

Brilliant couple of posts on the QPR forum about this asking how quickly it will be that Preston find a way around this as they are the most blatant offenders, (actually probably is Stoke now, for obvious reasons) first suggestion was because collisions between team mates don’t apply to the leaving the field criteria they’ll start doing that.

How referees have failed to spot Daniel Johnson repeatedly stopping free kicks being taken over the years baffles me as much as our lack of penalties.

Was partially tongue in cheek given how things have a tendency to go against us. Lack of penalties plus some of the other officiating was scandalous last season.

I digress, my- not entirely serious- thinking was that a goal down and behind the game they make it bitty, niggly and time added on as a result. That fatigue can certainly kick in and make it a bit more of a lottery if only a goal up.

Aspect of a holding tactic too, staying within the game. Perhaps the opposition will get frustrated and get a cheap 2nd booking or red card.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I like the sound of this change personally

I'd be on the lookout for a drop in Warnock's win percentage this season based purely on this! Obviously in a single season a bit hard to judge definitively as it could come down to Huddersfield being good/bad.

He was pretty much the master of get in front then employ any tactic you can to time waste.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I’m hoping that the little injuries that require treatment but NOW mean you have to not only go off but stay off for min 30secs starts to change player approaches.  30secs is a long time.

I’m still surprised how many times our players asked for treatment having got “injured” when the ball is dead and the opposition have corner or set-piece in a dangerous position.  If you’re not really injured, get the hell up and get back into position.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Glad to see they have finally noticed the deliberately time wasting celebrations. Especially in the PL every outfield player (and often some subs) joins in the huddle meaning defenders jog up to 50 yards to hug and pat everybody on the head. Then of course we have to have the choreographed dance from the scorer and one or more team mates before slowly going back to the half way line.

If you watch games from the 1970s on YouTube players were in almost indecent haste to get back for the kick off!

Perhaps they should allow the team that has conceded to kick off straight away whether the celebrations have finished or not!

• Like 1

Again I'm being cynical but it will be down to the individual interpretation of the referee who can easily find fault with one team rather than the other as with our red cards last season and being chopped down without even a free kick awarded against the opposition,.

9 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I think it was simply because it wasn't applied consistently.

Should be brought back with an amendment imo.  If a player picks the ball up, runs x number of yards, then the free kick should be allowed to be taken from anywhere within that x radius the ball was dropped. thrown back, kicked etc.  That allows the team to move it forward or back however it benefits them best.  However....  That would be even less likely to be implemented consistently.

There was talk of looking at how long on average the ball is in play during a match and making a change to the "90 minute" match time.  I can't remember what the figure was they came up with but I think it was somewhere around the hour mark that the ball is actually in play and so game would be adjusted to 30/35 minutes each way with the clock stopped when the ball becomes dead.  That would be the biggest single change to football as a whole for decades.

Just one more point I'd like to mention is that commentators here often remark about people leaving the game before the final siren, but if the game has already gone over time by approx 30 mins or whatever the case may be, then a lot of those that leave early have to, to connect with their transport home.

18 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Yea expect more stoppage time. On paper - a good thing for us as how often do teams shithouse us to insanity at Ashton Gate. But this is football, so I’m sure it’ll find a way to **** us over ?

Pretty much every team that comes to Ashton Gate come here to play for a point and it does my bloody head in. Apart from teams like Burnley most clubs come here to waste as much time as possible and it's bloody annoying. 

I guess we should see it as a compliment but it just frustrates the life out of me that week after week we have poor officials that allow it to happen. 

21 hours ago, spudski said:

Probably my number one grievance about the way the game is refereed. It drives me absolutely nuts watching players standing over the ball to delay a free kick from being taken, thus negating much of the benefit of the kick being awarded in the first place, and referees doing nothing whatsoever about it. I’ve thought for years that if bookings were issued for this, you would see it stamped out in pretty quick time. If it’s true this change is coming, and equally if not more important, if it’s enforced rigorously and consistently, it will have eliminated one major scourge of modern football. Bring it on.

• Like 2