IGNORED

Where Will We Finish?

W-S-M Seagull

Where Will We Finish?  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

True, true, that is imo equally ridiculous given we've been in no danger of relegation since "peak" Holden-ball, and we are probably stronger than we've been at anytime since then.

@Grey Fox...really?

Really ??? Simply no, I just want to rise above the mediocre, to match the “mighty” Bournemouth & Boscombe or Luton, even Brentford. Why is it so difficult to look up ?

• Like 3

I fully expect a load of confused reactions to the following but...

For me, Alex Scott is replaceable - I will caveat this with, not someone with as much natural ability, but if I was told we had to lose one of Conway or Scott, it would be goodbye Alex.

Is he exceptional? Yes.

Will we see another 19 year old like him again? Probably not.

I can see the goals from Tommy being a bigger gap to fill.

Ideally, we would lose neither, but I'm not sold on AS being key to a successful season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

For me, Alex Scott is replaceable - I will caveat this with, not someone with as much natural ability, but if I was told we had to lose one of Conway or Scott, it would be goodbye Alex.

Is he exceptional? Yes.

Ideally, we would lose neither, but I'm not sold on AS being key to a successful season.

I kinda wrote something similar for a blog (and on here)….that Tommy’s goals might influence more results than Alex’s performances.  That is not to play down the importance and star-ability of Scott, just than Alex could be MOTM and us not earn the 3 points.

Just to reiterate - Alex is a superstar.  Tommy is a point-getter!

The positives are that you potentially have a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. The club has a clear identity, players are fit and the dressing room is happy. There are also a lot of options if the squad stays fit. The problem would be if we had a run of injuries in critical areas. City have a relatively good run of fixtures to start so if we get points on the board and keep a consistent first xi I don't see why the play offs aren't a possibility. Conversely if we were to wobble and pick up injuries mid table potentially more likely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is he exceptional? Yes.

I get it but all the intangible benefits that Alex Scott brings.

That bit of time, space- the skill and ball carrying ability leading into ability to win fouls either in dangerous positions or perhaps to relieve pressure. The whole package is a very solid one- he needs to add some goals to his game however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Do you really think he makes that much difference? some yes but come on 10 places!

12 points between Coventry (70) in 5th and Hull (58) in 15th last season. 

There is not a lot of difference between the majority of well organised/ coached Championship sides, by having an exceptional player in your squad, that small difference can make big gains.

And it’s not just Alex Scott, add Conway and Pring and you have the nucleus of a very good side. You also need to add some belief, by turning down the offers for Alex you provide the substance for that belief.

Looking forward to tomorrow ⚽?

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 17:05, ExiledAjax said:

I've said it's a season where luck is gunna play a part. Hopefully we're lucky and get the penalties we deserve, hopefully we're lucky and get some deflections, some tackles that should be injuries aren't, hopefully it all works out.

If it largely goes our way then 6th/7th is possible...if not then we'll be 12th or below.

Hence I go 9th and cross my fingers.

So two spots below what I guessed. One win away from getting it bob on. This thread is from before Scott was sold as well, although it's clear that many of us guessed that he would be going. Maybe we made our own bad luck with a slightly unnecessary managerial change in October. 

Still, apparently 66% called it correctly with a vote for the 7th - 12th range.

On 03/08/2023 at 18:36, ExiledAjax said:

Who on earth thinks we're going top 2. ******* hell.

I stand by this though 😂😂

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So two spots below what I guessed. One win away from getting it bob on. This thread is from before Scott was sold as well, although it's clear that many of us guessed that he would be going. Maybe we made our own bad luck with a slightly unnecessary managerial change in October. 

Still, apparently 66% called it correctly with a vote for the 7th - 12th range.

I stand by this though 😂😂

There’s a big difference between 7th and 12th though in peoples summary of the season.  I said 6th with Scott and 10-11th without if I remember rightly.  He’s as big a loss as 4-5 places 

On 03/08/2023 at 23:43, Davefevs said:

I kinda wrote something similar for a blog (and on here)….that Tommy’s goals might influence more results than Alex’s performances.  That is not to play down the importance and star-ability of Scott, just than Alex could be MOTM and us not earn the 3 points.

Just to reiterate - Alex is a superstar.  Tommy is a point-getter!

Tommy’s goals did get us points, especially the number of penalties we were awarded as soon as Nige was dispensed with and our anti-Pearson embargo on penalties was lifted by the referees association. But from open play, we really lacked Scott the playmaker to set things up for Conway or Wells. Twine is a shadow of that but clearly a Manning favourite and might just get a few more goals than Scott. Overall 11th seems about right, especially as until yesterday Max and the defence had been at a playoff levels of performance and goals conceded.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

There’s a big difference between 7th and 12th though in peoples summary of the season.  I said 6th with Scott and 10-11th without if I remember rightly.  He’s as big a loss as 4-5 places 

He’s been injured a lot this year, so getting the 25 million last year turned out the better option. (Other than him signing an extension) 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Tommy’s goals did get us points, especially the number of penalties we were awarded as soon as Nige was dispensed with and our anti-Pearson embargo on penalties was lifted by the referees association. But from open play, we really lacked Scott the playmaker to set things up for Conway or Wells. Twine is a shadow of that but clearly a Manning favourite and might just get a few more goals than Scott. Overall 11th seems about right, especially as until yesterday Max and the defence had been at a playoff levels of performance and goals conceded.

I wasn’t far off was I re Tommy getting us points.  Didn’t expect it to be from the spot though, neither did they need to be stonewallers either.