IGNORED

Preston’s equaliser

GrahamC

I assume based on the fact that 4 of our players immediately confronted the (pitiful) ref, that it was a clear handball?

Disappointing but thought Preston were well worth a draw, refereeing standards continue to be abysmal though, he gave us absolutely nothing all game.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

It was handball, as in it hit the players hand.  PL VAR gives it.  But the traditional ball to hand more than hand to ball…and I couldn’t tell you what the rules are anymore outside of the PL. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Webb was very poor most of the game.  Have them lots of decisions, gave us pretty much nothing.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

TBF they could/should have had a penalty when Vyner nearly caught it from a shot so probably evened out over the game.?‍♂️

Was he not falling/sliding at the time? Always tough with them. Only caught one look from distance on a stream, mind you.

1 minute ago, Ron W said:

Was he not falling/sliding at the time? Always tough with them. Only caught one look from distance on a stream, mind you.

He was trying to block the shot and it got struck from close range, VAR probably would have slowed it down as much as possible and just shown it between his hands to the ref so that he’d have had no option other than to give it.

We conceded a goal because Tanner let the ball bounce and then our CBs failed to close down. The handball was entirely incidental 

Also Vyner definitely blocked a shot with his hand (probably after it hit his body) so I don't really see the difference 

Edited by cidercity1987

38 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

He was trying to block the shot and it got struck from close range, VAR probably would have slowed it down as much as possible and just shown it between his hands to the ref so that he’d have had no option other than to give it.

I think you have a real point there, with the slowing down. 

• Confused 1

From IFAB July 2021. Note the last paragraph. I assume the referee judged the handball to be accidental:

The new handball law in full

It is a handball offence if a player:

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or

scores in the opponents' goal:

- directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or

- immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

From IFAB July 2021. Note the last paragraph. I assume the referee judged the handball to be accidental:

The new handball law in full

It is a handball offence if a player:

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;

touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or

scores in the opponents' goal:

- directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or

- immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.

Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

Thanks China.

So by that it was a correct decision then?

In any event think we were perhaps fortunate to get a point and certainly didn't deserve anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I assume based on the fact that 4 of our players immediately confronted the (pitiful) ref, that it was a clear handball?

Disappointing but thought Preston were well worth a draw, refereeing standards continue to be abysmal though, he gave us absolutely nothing all game.

Yes clear handball. As in the ball hit his hand - I'm assuming the ref decided his hand wasn't in an unnatural position so there was no infringement. I would argue they gained an unfair advantage from it but that doesn’t have anything to do with it, it seems. Like others, I've really no idea what the rule is anymore - I mean, their Left back kept taking foul throws, with one heel way off the ground like a schoolboy but do you think the ref or sh!t lino noticed? So they don't know the rules either! Or are just sh!te, maybe. Probably. 

Anyways, a point was the least Preston deserved as we were abysmal after scoring, so I think we should be grateful we got something from the game and move on to next week. But if there isn't a quantum improvement in the meantime, I predict a hammering at The Den or whatever their godforsaken bearpit is called these days. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Anyone blaming the referee needs to give themselves a shake.

Draw was fair.

Ref was shit- but they did deserve at least a draw, potentially all three points. 

He did stop our counter-attacks on several occasions in the second half though for farcical reasons, so maybe he might have affected the result of the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WoodsDTES said:

TBF they could/should have had a penalty when Vyner nearly caught it from a shot so probably evened out over the game.?‍♂️

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We were denied a good shout for a penalty too.

Neither were pens for me, Vyner goes in for a block and he couldn’t do anything with his hands (obviously Preston may feel hard done by) and Wells went to ground to easily for me

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Haha perhaps not then. 13 mins? Was down the other end of the ground so couldn't really get a great view of it.

We can't attribute today to the officials especially so I won't.

Agreed we did not turn up and no one to blame but our selves 

Ref was still bloody terrible regardless 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Preston were the better team

• Flames 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

If we had VAR they'd have probably had a pen for the earlier Vyner handball

(I also don't think the player running across Wells was a pen).

Far more concerning and pertinent than the referee was our poor decision making on the ball, poor execution of passing, and lack of intensity. 

I don't know if it was nerves, ring rust or just a bad day at the office, but we were doing simple things badly.

I've seen some excellent away performances at Ashton Gate, but this wasn't exceptional at all. We made it too easy for them by needlessly handing them possession and giving them too much time on the ball.

• Flames 1