IGNORED

The pitch

Bright Cider Life

I was surprised they watered the pitch at HT with all the rain we have had and was forecast during the match. Don't we usually water the pitch to make it slicker? So either you are right and they wanted to make the ball run faster or it was too much and it slowed the players down, but they didn't appear to be slipping everywhere.

I don’t think we can blame that performance on the pitch considering our main tactic was hoofing the ball in the air to their centre backs. That’s like the Parachute Regiment blaming their special formation team being useless on the basis of the state of the landing site!

3 hours ago, Bright Cider Life said:

Everything today just seemed off the pace. As a terrible player I always blame the pitch but was it just me that thought it played really slow today?

Pitch is obviously the same for both teams.

Preston didn't have too many problems passing.

Probably because they appeared to be better prepared than our players, first to the 2nd ball, sharp, and looked stronger and fitter.

Nothing to do with the pitch imo.

More down to the conditioning of the players.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Pitch is obviously the same for both teams.

Preston didn't have too many problems passing.

Probably because they appeared to be better prepared than our players, first to the 2nd ball, sharp, and looked stronger and fitter.

Nothing to do with the pitch imo.

More down to the conditioning of the players.

Half their team were going down with cramp in the second half.

We were poor today, but out fitness levels looked better than theirs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

100% me and blokes next to me said exactly the same thing ball just didn’t seem to run on and passes were often short for both teams maybe we should have played one game on there pre season to get used to the pace or lack of. 

Nah I don't buy into that. Half of our games are away where you don't get to try the pitch out before the day. 

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Half their team were going down with cramp in the second half.

We were poor today, but out fitness levels looked better than theirs. 

They cramped up as they put energy into chasing the game and getting a result. We looked better at the end fitness wise as we never got out of first gear. We didn't run, we hoofed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChubStixx said:

Did anyone notice that area of pitch between the Atyeo and Lansdown that seemed to have next to no grass? The pitch has been excellent over the years, for balance.

There was a similar patch on the dolman side just into the atyeo half.

12 hours ago, RedM said:

I was surprised they watered the pitch at HT with all the rain we have had and was forecast during the match. Don't we usually water the pitch to make it slicker? So either you are right and they wanted to make the ball run faster or it was too much and it slowed the players down, but they didn't appear to be slipping everywhere.

I think due to the nature of the pitch it needs to be watered before play. I’m sure I’ve seen the sprinklers on before when there’s been rain?

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

I think due to the nature of the pitch it needs to be watered before play. I’m sure I’ve seen the sprinklers on before when there’s been rain?

I guess so, they must really trust their drainage! With all the rain we have had and what was forecast (which didn't actually happen) there must be a small margin in getting it perfect, well done the grounds team. It did look good and didn't cut up at all, I think it cost an eye watering amount so it should be good. Not sure how much time if any the players have had on it though as it wasn't ready for any preseason matches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

That must be it as I was surprised to see the sprinklers on given the amount of rain in the run up to the match.

We only play well when we pass the ball quickly - we were slow and ponderous yesterday but that was nothing to do with the pitch in my view. 

• Like 1