IGNORED

Positives v Negatives

GrahamC

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not sure it was baffling. Would any of us have put out a radically different XI?

I think most were surprised not to see Conway & Sykes in the starting 11.

Especially with AS out injured, surely you want your strongest players filling in elsewhere.

I thought he ran willingly & did OK generally - as he usually does (I'm not a hater of his atall) but there is no way that starting Cornick over Sykes is picking your strongest possible 11 - imho.

The rest of the team was pretty straightforward selection, granted - but baffling by way of leaving 2 or 3 of your most attacking threats on the bench, against an average team, coming into the season off the back of a crap pre-season, at home, in front of a sell out crowd - it felt like an opportunity missed and so it proved to be. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

If you thought they looked unfit, how fit did you think we looked!!?

I didn't think we looked unfit.

We didn't look like we had any game plan or ideas, or shape to our play.

When their players were struggling with cramp, we still couldn't muster any composed control of the game.

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not sure it was baffling. Would any of us have put out a radically different XI?

I think most would have started Conway - who was very disappointing when he finally arrived. Thought he was caught flat footed and moved too easily off the ball.

I’m also far from convinced even a fit Weimann can play the Scott role. Only Nige seems determined to get his most experienced players on the pitch which is playing Andi out of position.

I’m also convinced most would have made changes much earlier, it was obvious they were much the better team in the final third of the match.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Bells rating is coloured by the (well taken) goal. He missed a very good chance first half without making the keeper work, and when he broke second half again the effort was tame. Pring didn’t have a good day but I don’t think Sam helped him much, and he wasn’t a great outlet. Take the goal out and there wasn’t much there from Sam today.

Don’t get me wrong, he will have better games I’m sure. We were poor today but I just felt he was the only one going forward that looked like he could make something happen. A poor miss in the first half but he got in behind a few times. Not a polished performance by any means but he was our only threat going forward.

Positives: Thought we looked good off the ball, defensively dealt with their pressure well making Max’s life a lot easier, Vyner and Dickie looked good for me.

Negatives: Preston created a lot more than us and against better forwards we would’ve been punished more, could not get full backs into the game, sat way too deep after getting the goal after starting the half so positively and we completely stopped for the goal.

Overall pretty poor performance to start the season but we can and I’m sure will be better than that. Did think there was a clear handball in the lead up to the goal (reason why we stopped possibly) but Preston more than deserved a point.

No point overreacting though as it is the first game of the season, neither Sheffield United or Luton won their first game last season so still plenty of chances!

32 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Fair play to you mate that you can find something positive. For me that was an awful performance from front to back. Vyner pretty much the only player who’s in credit. 

I’m a big fan of Nige but he got it all wrong for me today. 

Can’t disagree, very poor today and most of our players looked off the pace of the game 

Lost the midfield in the second half and the only surprise was Preston failed to take more of the numerous chances they had 

overall, underwhelmed and my pre season positivity well and truly put back in the box 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

On the plus side I thought Zak was outstanding, Dickie very good, Wells too & thought Joe Williams was better than any of the 3 that started In midfield. Good as well that Sam Bell is off the mark.

Negatives were Tanner’s distribution was poor, the midfield looked sluggish & Max made a right mess of it when he came a long way to punch the ball clear.

Fair result & with Weimann presumably unavailable now & the Scott saga rumbling on, a few things for Nige to ponder.

Positives - a composed but aggressive Vyner. Aggressive! More please. 

Negatives - the rest of it, including the coaching staff who reckon we're fit and the staff who've spent pre-season not bothering to work on patterns of play, of which there was precious evidence compared to Preston who were infinitely superior in virtually all facets of play. 

God help us if the absence of 1 midfield player has reduced us to this level of mediocrity. Only another 45 games to go! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

Passing stats today according to Sky were 

Tanner-45 passes 68.9%

Vyner-55 passes 85.5%
Dickie-69 passes 72.5%
Pring-38 passes 57.9%
Weimann-6 passes 66.7% subbed 23
James-39 passes 76.9%
Knight-34 passes 64.7% subbed 88
Cornick-16 passes 56.3% subbed 70
Wells-13 passes 84.6% subbed 69
Bell-14 passes 42.9% subbed 87
Williams-35 passes 60% subbed 23
Sykes-8 passes 50% subbed 70
Conway-4 passes 100% subbed 69
King-6 passes 33.3% subbed 88
Mehmeti-1 pass 100% subbed 87

team 425 passes 65.6% accuracy

clearly very poor down the left side today and the failure to keep possession after the subs shows we weren’t good enough with the ball.

20 tackles 75% successful and 18 clearances.

This is where stats are bollox though because if there's one player who needs a boot up the arse after that (not the only one) it's Conway. 

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In what way?

The only places seriously up for grabs in the absence of Atkinson, Naismith & Scott were in the front three, Wells was excellent (& looked rightly pissed off to be subbed) Bell scored our goal & Cornick was ok.

Weimann wasn’t great true, but he only lasted about 20 minutes anyway.

Looking at the rest of the bench no one seriously thought either of the 2 young centre backs, Roberts, King or Wiles-Richards would start, so this is an odd comment.

We weren’t great today but possibly Sykes for Cornick is about the only questionable selection.

Cornick was piss poor. I’m 5 foot **** all and I reckon I’d win more headers than him. His feet rarely lift off the floor. For a 6 footer he’s terrible in the air. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I didn't think we looked unfit.

We didn't look like we had any game plan or ideas, or shape to our play.

When their players were struggling with cramp, we still couldn't muster any composed control of the game.

No game plan - that was what stood out for me. Why were we hoofing long, high balls that their No.6 won virtually every time? I'm a Pearson fan but the way we played today felt like we had no nous behind the way we set about the game, which is pretty puzzling.

• Like 2

What I find disappointing is that none of our new signings appear to have set Ashton Gate on fire.

If we are serious about top six finish we need quality, and our only quality/exciting player is on the cusp of leaving.

Of course our new boys may need time to settle in, but that in itself raises questions about our pre season preparation.

This sort of recruitment is, imo, only going to see us stay where we are.  As someone else commented same old same old City.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I suppose another negative was the painfully flat atmosphere throughout the match, only livened up by some suspect refereeing. Not sure how we address this, and clearly with a significant portion of people attending under mates rates tickets, it isn’t an easy fix.

I thought the atmosphere today was awful, all felt good before the game nice buzz, get in the ground and it was flat as a pancake, disappointing all round today.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think most were surprised not to see Conway & Sykes in the starting 11.

36 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think most would have started Conway - who was very disappointing when he finally arrived.

So one or two of the starting XI were, in your opinions, surprising, and you've then voluntarily ascribed your opinions to be those of "most". Ok fair enough.

Wells' form in pre-season was decent so I'm not sure it was that mad to pick him over Conway. As for Sykes/Cornick - I personally would have gone Sykes, but I can understand Cornick. I'd not really qualify either as a "baffling" decision though.

It's a question of language I guess, I think "baffling" is a little overblown.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What I find disappointing is that none of our new signings appear to have set Ashton Gate on fire.

If we are serious about top six finish we need quality, and our only quality/exciting player is on the cusp of leaving.

Of course our new boys may need time to settle in, but that in itself raises questions about our pre season preparation.

This sort of recruitment is, imo, only going to see us stay where we are.  As someone else commented same old same old City.

I was disappointed in Knight but it is only one game, not sure what more Rob Dickie could have done today, he had a very good debut.

Roberts didn’t even get on the pitch & McCrorie wasn’t available so this is a really odd comment overall.

• Like 4

A pretty terrible performance. We seemed to be on the back foot almost throughout and unable to string a few passes together. Perhaps that was deliberate- we seemed to bypass the midfield and hit long balls a lot of the time. 

Preston’s first touch and passing was better than us all afternoon.

Lackadaisical, careless in possession, slow to second balls when out of possession, afraid to take risks or chances, and more... not much of it good. Disappointing overall. Really disappointing in fact, as we were almost the opposite to what I thought we were.

However, it's also only one game and Preston are always a tough team to play against and my guess is quite a few teams will come away after playing them feeling like we did today over the course of the season. I'm not getting despondent or even that down yet, there's a long way to go and if we're still looking like this half a dozen games in then I'll start to worry.

That said - we must do better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So one or two of the starting XI were, in your opinions, surprising, and you've then voluntarily ascribed your opinions to be those of "most". Ok fair enough.

Wells' form in pre-season was decent so I'm not sure it was that mad to pick him over Conway. As for Sykes/Cornick - I personally would have gone Sykes, but I can understand Cornick. I'd not really qualify either as a "baffling" decision though.

It's a question of language I guess, I think "baffling" is a little overblown.

I'd disagree. I found the decision to start Cornick ahead of Sykes baffling - hence the descriptive of "baffling"

You may not agree with it  & that's you perogative.

For me, it was baffling & to those who sit around me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I agree, Sykes all day long for me. Trouble with Cornick he, as you say, is not a wide man, he is not a CF, not sure what he is or adds, other than a really good long throw.

I’m absolutely baffled why we bought him. A Luton fan told me he is decent alongside a big target man - and we don’t play with one of those. In fact, we don’t have one in our first-team squad. 

• Like 2

Thought Dickie had a solid debut despite a slight hiccup in the second half which gave Preston an opportunity. 

Weimann is either played as a forward or not at all, regardless of his injury, in my view. We need more than just energy in midfield. For the time he was on, he’s busy but doesn’t seem to know where he should be or go when in or out of possession, often reacting to something rather than anticipating. Williams isn’t the answer but offers more than Weimann in my opinion. 

Preston looked a very capable and physical side. Typical Preston. They shaded the game. Point was a good result in the end. They had a real strong period after Bell’s goal. We did well to hold out until 80 odd minutes. 

Was expecting more from Knight. That said, as we know the Championship is a level up from League 1. It’ll take him a few games to find himself - and I’m confident he will. 

O’Leary needs genuine competition if we have ambitions of a top ten finish. 

Sykes over Cornick every day of the week.

Id also like to see move the ball quicker right to left, missing a centre back and zipping it in to the full back. We are very laboured in position - notably due to a lack of forward movement but there’s no reason not to zip it across and open up the opposition. We let them reset too comfortably.  

Quality to see a good crowd.

Sam Bell showing good forwards instincts for his goal. 

• Like 1

I thought Cam Pring was pretty poor today, I think he’s a great player but today he looked off it and sluggish. Also Surprised Cornick started and it just didn’t flow, especially down the channels. Scott seemed like a massive loss today, no one took control of the midfield and conducted the play....all too static. Onto next week.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1