IGNORED

High energy / high press

Jimbo76

6 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

The bursting of that optimism bubble never gets any easier.

That aside, have I misunderstood the narrative about pre season and a big part of our team ethos?

I was under the impression that we were going to be all about stamina and fitness in order to be employ a high press / high energy style.

I saw no press today. Very lethargic in and out of possession, unlike PNE, who hassled us throughout.

Even with my realistic head on, I was very disappointed today.

No press,  lost out on most second balls, no dynamism with the ball. I think energy is a huge part of what was missing today. Just can't work out why.

I agree with all of this, plus we still look mentally weak and naive as a squad.

23 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

That aside, have I misunderstood the narrative about pre season and a big part of our team ethos?

I was under the impression that we were going to be all about stamina and fitness in order to be employ a high press / high energy style.

I saw no press today. Very lethargic in and out of possession, unlike PNE, who hassled us throughout.

No press,  lost out on most second balls, no dynamism with the ball. I think energy is a huge part of what was missing today. Just can't work out why.

I said much the same on the match day thread. Preston did press but you have to be able to resist that and trigger your own. For whatever reason we barely tried to do that.

Losing Scott makes matters worse as he is the one player who can break through the press both passing and carrying the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Losing Scott makes matters worse as he is the one player who can break through the press both passing and carrying the ball.

This is it.

What he lacks in stats necessarily he makes up for in to name a few:

*Passing

*Ability to carry

*Technical ability obviously.

*Which in turn can and frequently does win fouls- in dangerous positions or to relieve pressure. Buy time.

Maybe a fully fit Naismith could do elements of this, an accliminatised Knight aspects of it but none could do all of that.

1 hour ago, Jimbo76 said:

Why? Because our pre-season was a piece of piss, a stroll against opponents too inferior.

Would be my guess.

I'm not looking for us to play Ajax again, cos we won't see the ball. Again. But teams somewhere in between them and FGR and Cheltenham is what we need - something to give us a proper work out.

As I say, would be my guess. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is it.

*Passing

*Ability to carry

*Which in turn can and frequently does win fouls- in dangerous positions or to relieve pressure. Buy time.

Maybe a fully fit Naismith could do elements of this, an accliminatised Knight aspects of it but none could do all of that.

Today just highlighted what a brilliant player Scott is. Well, for us at any rate. 

Whether he joins Bournemouth, Wolves or whoever, he's unlikely to stand out quite so much - which only tells you how far we have to improve and how ordinary we currently are. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

I agree with every word of this, very disappointing not to see the high energy press we saw in pre season.

Let's be honest, it was the same old! :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Today just highlighted what a brilliant player Scott is. Well, for us at any rate. 

Whether he joins Bournemouth, Wolves or whoever, he's unlikely to stand out quite so much - which only tells you how far we have to improve and how ordinary we currently are. 

There is I believe room for improvement with or without Scott but we didn't half miss him today! Naismith can help to spread the play from the midfield base, Knight up to speed and James can sit well isn't bad..but none are a star, none are a fantastic player and rising star who gives us just some of the qualities I mentioned in my last post.

Atkinson as and when he returns can help carry into midfield but Scott he gives us that extra level, that X-Factor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is I believe room for improvement with or without Scott but we didn't half miss him today! Naismith can help to spread the play from the midfield base, Knight up to speed and James can sit well isn't bad..but none are a star, none are a fantastic player and rising star who gives us just some of the qualities I mentioned in my last post.

Atkinson as and when he returns can help carry into midfield but Scott he gives us that extra level, that X-Factor.

There was no X-factor today just a lot of “why”s!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yup (run out of likes for the day). 

Naismith for Scott, though? 

Bloody hell. 

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yup (run out of likes for the day). 

Naismith for Scott, though? 

Bloody hell. 

Probably will be, or at least one that will go in to the mix.

We know that selling Scott reduces the wage bill by not much, so whilst the potential transfer fee ends any worries over FFP for some while, it won’t mean we have loads to spend, people think that Pearson is bluffing here, but I don’t think so.

Post Scott our midfield options are James, Knight, Williams, Weimann, Naismith, King & hopefully fairly soon, Benarous.

Sykes too possibly at a stretch, McCrorie has played DM but I reckon we see him primarily as a defender.

It will be Pearson & the coaching staff’s job to make something out of that lot & Williams aside, he did sign all of them or otherwise extend their contracts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

100%.

Preston looked much more ready for this game, they were obviously conditioned and match ready, we were 2nd best in every parameter.

Its disappointing as it looked like no change from last season.

Not that I expected too much change, but some would have been nice.

Yes, its only the opening game - but its also the opening game for Preston and they looked better prepared than us.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'd like to give Wells some credit for looking as exasperated as I was with the delivery of our long balls and through balls of which almost all were mis-placed!

Agree. The poor bloke had nothing much to play with today with high balls against an enormous centre back. The couple of times he was put through in the first half, he had a shout for a penalty and then played in Bell for a 1-on-1 against their keeper. Not his fault that we were so useless in midfield…

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is it.

*Passing

*Ability to carry

It all comes down to the 25 million price tag we set on him what was weird from the start,now many on here think we won’t back down on that and we probably won’t but it’s a odd way to do business

45 minutes ago, Nomad said:

In addition to the lack of intensity and press, I thought we lost too many 1 on 1 physical battles. On the whole they were bigger and stronger than us, physically and mentally. 

Definitely physically,not sure about mentally because we were the worst team on the day and it can only be a positive to pick up a point 

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Definitely physically,not sure about mentally because we were the worst team on the day and it can only be a positive to pick up a point 

Surely a home point vs Preston can't be a positive? They didn't look especially good to me. 

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It all comes down to the 25 million price tag we set on him what was weird from the start,now many on here think we won’t back down on that and we probably won’t but it’s a odd way to do business

Is the price tag basically a hands off?

Calculating that it Is a bit too high for clubs therefore he stays until say January at the earliest when maybe all parties can review.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is the price tag basically a hands off?

Calculating that it Is a bit too high for clubs therefore he stays until say January at the earliest when maybe all parties can review.

In business you would normally say I won’t sell this for a certain amount and then it’s up to people to offer the right amount to take it off your hands,I can’t remember any other player being so publicly offered about at a certain fee(obviously release fees in contracts that become common knowledge)

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree with every word of this, very disappointing not to see the high energy press we saw in pre season.

Let's be honest, it was the same old! :(

Agree with all the comments, was disappointed and actually surprised how generally poor that was, but only game one and didn't lose ...

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Hard to maintain a fast pace game when your midfield is James and Williams. They have qualities but pace isn't one of them and they were at the heart of the midfield today, which is where the pace of the game is usually set.

I think we were just set up for Weimann doing the running and had absolutely no plan B for when he went off injured. I can't believe it's as simple as that but there it is

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Why do you and others think Preston were going to be a walkover,they looked better than us so a point is a positive 

I don't think anyone implied a walkover?

Aren't they a team we are capable of beating if we perform to our capabilities?

I didn't think Preston did anything exceptional in the game. I think they were fairly solid, but our passing and delivery were very poor so Preston weren't really tested. 

• Like 1

I've got to be honest, I was bored yesterday. The first half, in particular,  was so lacking in quality that I found myself wishing I was elsewhere. 

Not the return to football I had hoped for.

We were more under-the-cosh in the second period, largely because Preston had abandoned their long-ball punts and realised they could just walk it through our midfield, but at least there was more action - although surely no one could've been surprised when we surrendered the lead.

I see on other threads, people are criticising the fans for not being more vocal. It isn't a one-way thing though. When you're not given much to cheer about, you don't cheer. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've got to be honest, I was bored yesterday. The first half, in particular,  was so lacking in quality that I found myself wishing I was elsewhere. 

Not the return to football I had hoped for.

We were more under-the-cosh in the second period, largely because Preston had abandoned their long-ball punts and realised they could just walk it through our midfield, but at least there was more action - although surely no one could've been surprised when we surrendered the lead.

I see on other threads, people are criticising the fans for not being more vocal. It isn't a one-way thing though. When you're not given much to cheer about, you don't cheer. 

Surely Nige would have told them to come out the traps flying and to whip up the crowd? But we didn't. We were tentative and wasteful.

It was a really frustrating watch. We definitely didn't look like a team that the opposition will fear, but plenty of time to amp it up.

A morale boosting win midweek win needed to fire us up for a tough trip to Millwall.

• Like 2