IGNORED

Tommy Conway

22 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It all seemed to be going so well thrashing teams in friendlies, scoring goals for fun. Taking the 25million stance with Scott and clubs circling. Within a week it is crumbling. Drop two points at home, shock news on Conway plus injuries to countless others and no sign of Scott either playing or going. I don't know why my hopes are always dashed so quickly but should be used to it by now. I hope Pearson does some moves in the transfer market to shore up the squad. Maybe a striker on loan to start with. COYR.

Same happened last summer, positive signings early on, Austria trip, easy friendly schedule aside from Bournemouth away. Then same issues with injuries and a poor start. As I’ve said I’m a big Nige fan but I wonder if he would be better in the Tinnion role with a more progressive Head Coach. Let’s see what happens, if we don’t do something in this window now to add goals to the team and creativity there is not a chance we will go above 14th. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Same happened last summer, positive signings early on, Austria trip, easy friendly schedule aside from Bournemouth away. Then same issues with injuries and a poor start. As I’ve said I’m a big Nige fan but I wonder if he would be better in the Tinnion role with a more progressive Head Coach. Let’s see what happens, if we don’t do something in this window now to add goals to the team and creativity there is not a chance we will go above 14th. 

We were 3rd after 8 games last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontagueRed said:

Weimann starting when clearly no where near full fitness doesn’t make much sense to me. The game completely bypassed him, with all of NPs experience that is one decision I struggle to understand.

I must admit, from the way Weimann was moving, I suspected he was carrying a slight injury from the start. It was no surprise that he went off so early. Andi strikes me as the sort who loves to play and would likely play down any discomfort he was feeling in the run-up. A competitive game however will find you out, even if you've got through training OK.

If Tommy was injured during the game, it explains why he was so ineffective for much of his time on the pitch. 

Are we really panicking after one game, remember the outlook in December compared to end of January.. 

Also what's not to say another academy player will come through and absolutely smash it. ..

Could be the Preston game was exactly the wake up call we needed ? 

Who knows? But I would wait to see what happens over the next few weeks

Accidentally put on wrong thread and can't move it so ignore 

Edited by Slack
Incorrect thread
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I must admit, from the way Weimann was moving, I suspected he was carrying a slight injury from the start. It was no surprise that he went off so early. Andi strikes me as the sort who loves to play and would likely play down any discomfort he was feeling in the run-up. A competitive game however will find you out, even if you've got through training OK.

If Tommy was injured during the game, it explains why he was so ineffective for much of his time on the pitch. 

Weimann had an injection, was deemed fit to play.  It didn’t pay off.  Hopefully it just needs a small amount of rest and he’ll be fine again.  I’m still on hols so couldn’t pick up anything on Robinstv apart from he was hardly involved. Someone said you could tell quite early on he was struggling.  As you say, you can do all manner of stuff in training, but a real game pushes you that bit further.

As for Conway, when in the game did he do it?  Before the 4th/5th subs were made or in injury time?

Hopefully Naismith and McCrorie aren’t far away.

I did jokingly say the other day that a managers best eleven is rarely / never their best eleven at the end of the season, and is rarely the case by September….by August 9th is going some!! ?

Sometimes though these little things work in your favour.  Nige will know he can’t flog Nahki on his own for 3 months so we might see some kind of tweak.  Might create a bit of a siege mentality.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Weimann had an injection, was deemed fit to play.  It didn’t pay off.  Hopefully it just needs a small amount of rest and he’ll be fine again.  I’m still on hols so couldn’t pick up anything on Robinstv apart from he was hardly involved. Someone said you could tell quite early on he was struggling.  As you say, you can do all manner of stuff in training, but a real game pushes you that bit further.

As for Conway, when in the game did he do it?  Before the 4th/5th subs were made or in injury time?

Hopefully Naismith and McCrorie aren’t far away.

I did jokingly say the other day that a managers best eleven is rarely / never their best eleven at the end of the season, and is rarely the case by September….by August 9th is going some!! ?

Sometimes though these little things work in your favour.  Nige will know he can’t flog Nahki on his own for 3 months so we might see some kind of tweak.  Might create a bit of a siege mentality.

I haven't seen confirmation that he started to feel his hamstring mid-game, but if the poster who said so is correct, it could explain his rather flat-footedness after 10 minutes or so on field. One of Tom's great strengths is that he is big AND fast. It didn't seem to me that he could run onto balls as well as usual on Saturday, not that anyone saw that much of the ball outside our final third, of course....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I haven't seen confirmation that he started to feel his hamstring mid-game, but if the poster who said so is correct, it could explain his rather flat-footedness after 10 minutes or so on field. One of Tom's great strengths is that he is big AND fast. It didn't seem to me that he could run onto balls as well as usual on Saturday, not that anyone saw that much of the ball outside our final third, of course....

I still see him netting 20 this season. If the team plays well, he will play well.

• Robin 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ok, so referencing wages, not injuries then.  Ta.

Firstly, before casting aspersions about an individual, you need to compile some facts.  FWIW I never jumped on the Rolls “Dr Death” stuff because he’s a professional, and sometimes shit happens.  Covid, season postponement, season resumption, short pre-season, condensed next season was shit happening.  Orme, who was here at the time, said they got a few things a bit wrong in the pre-season training and that contributed.  There are also a few stories that have done the rounds that it was Holden rushing players back, because if the decline in results.

I don’t know, this is an area for the professionals.  Even having every injury under the sun, doesn’t qualify me! ???

You also need to look at injury type, where it occurred, e.g. match, training, etc.  I can only compile City and base it on info given by club, but here’s last season:

image.thumb.png.a478b903a78cc9de80f937575e8861af.png

But when Nige says they’ve improved training days by x % (70% I think) I tend to believe him.  I only collate matches missed.  I don’t have the detail, nor are we given full detail to know when a player is fit, but just not selected.

I’m not having a go at you Mr P, just a lot of excitement on this thread tonight, and a lot of panic too.  Hey m it’s OTIB.  I should know better.

I think it precisely because of the (potentially) demonisation of Rolls that posters have turned the spotlight onto Rennie. We can look at injury types and come to crude conclusions, but really it's probably just a case of sustained bad luck over a period of years going back to LJ's reign. 

Having read this thread I wouldn't characterise many posts about Rennie as a panic or a witch hunt, but as you say, this is OTIB and people prefer to a dispute to debate! Fun fun fun.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

If he did it in the game Saturday and continued, that’s really bad. Not sure how that wasn’t spotted, and playing on for so long is probably what cause the greater tear

For the first game of the season I don't like the idea of a player being given injections to mask an injury. If Weimann and Conway were carrying something, just rest them and bring them in for the cup game tonight ?‍♂️

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Alex is a swollen knee (likely movement)

Must have been some movement to put his knee out.  I usually just pop a pile!  ?

Gutted for Tommy. Was really looking forward to seeing him push on this year. 

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think it precisely because of the (potentially) demonisation of Rolls that posters have turned the spotlight onto Rennie. We can look at injury types and come to crude conclusions, but really it's probably just a case of sustained bad luck over a period of years going back to LJ's reign. 

Having read this thread I wouldn't characterise many posts about Rennie as a panic or a witch hunt, but as you say, this is OTIB and people prefer to a dispute to debate! Fun fun fun.

For the first game of the season I don't like the idea of a player being given injections to mask an injury. If Weimann and Conway were carrying something, just rest them and bring them in for the cup game tonight ?‍♂️

Totally agree . Why play a 32 year old who needed an injection to play in game 1 .?  If it didn’t work out and he made the injury worse his future absence was far more likely to be weeks rather than 1 or 2 games . Not panicking but so many of the choices regarding the chosen squad last Saturday looked iffy to say the least . 

Edited by Baldyman
Additional content

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I wouldn't mind us going in for Jesunrun Rak-Sakyi on loan from Crystal Palce. Did well at Charlton last season 15 goals. Only 20 and can player either on the wing or as a forward.