IGNORED

Ben Acey

The Original OTIB

Of the 2 I think Ap Sion will the the one to watch, a friend of mine was talking to Tin's about youngsters at the club and when he got to Ap Sion Tins said "what a talent"!  

I have seen Ben Acey play a few times, he is the same age as Alex and I think out of contract at the end of the year.  He is very neat and tidy on the ball but lacks that bit of physicality,  I could be wrong but it would be a surprise to me if he made the step up.

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

What news on him? Billed as the heir to the throne, if I recall. Is he making the expected progress or has he moved on?

Don't get your hopes up.

Acey is the same age as Scott.

In round figures - the population of Guernsey is 60,000, 7% are aged 18 to 24 and assuming a 50/50 male/female split, that's 2,000 lads. Round figures. 

So I'd say the chances of Guernsey producing another player as good as Scott, in the same year, from a gene pool that small, are infinitesimal.

The last top class player they produced was born 35 years before Scott, and is in fact the only other one they've ever produced, so it's statistically improbable that another one will be along any time soon, never mind be at Bristol City right now.

We can only hope that, once he retires after a successful career, Scott doesn't turn into the dribbling, sh!t for brains mess that is Matt Le Tissier.    

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Acey is the same age as Scott.

In round figures - the population of Guernsey is 60,000, 7% are aged 18 to 24 and assuming a 50/50 male/female split, that's 2,000 lads. Round figures. 

So I'd say the chances of Guernsey producing another player as good as Scott, in the same year, from a gene pool that small, are infinitesimal.

The last top class player they produced was born 35 years before Scott, and is in fact the only other one they've ever produced, so it's statistically improbable that another one will be along any time soon, never mind be at Bristol City right now.

We can only hope that, once he retires after a successful career, Scott doesn't turn into the dribbling, sh!t for brains mess that is Matt Le Tissier.    

I have no hopes or dreams for him, just looking for facts and an update on progress. Could have saved yourself a long reply!

2 hours ago, Port Red said:

Of the 2 I think Ap Sion will the the one to watch, a friend of mine was talking to Tin's about youngsters at the club and when he got to Ap Sion Tins said "what a talent"!  

I have seen Ben Acey play a few times, he is the same age as Alex and I think out of contract at the end of the year.  He is very neat and tidy on the ball but lacks that bit of physicality,  I could be wrong but it would be a surprise to me if he made the step up.

I got the feeling that Acey was signed to help Alex feel more at home. Just my opinion perhaps he’s the next Sark Scott? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Any data / view on Acey Dave? As ever, trying to get thread back on track. Many of us exiles don't get a chance to see the youngsters up close.

Not really.  In the u23 / u21 games he’s featured in he really hasn’t stood out at all.  Port Red below summarises his style.

4 hours ago, Port Red said:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I got the feeling that Acey was signed to help Alex feel more at home. Just my opinion perhaps he’s the next Sark Scott? 

And Alex went and moved in with Tommy Conway.

• Thanks 1

Acey has lost his way a little bit but is a decent player. Seen him a few times and he was deffo worth having a look at. A lot of talent around at the mo so may not quite make the grade. Tim Ap Sion is back on grass but still gaining strength so not fit yet. The few times I saw him before injury he was very impressive and absolute grease lightning! Looking forward to seeing how he progresses after such a long time out.

• Like 1

• Admin
On 10/08/2023 at 23:12, Lrrr said:

Heir to the throne is a bit far probably, the next best talent out of Guernsey probably better way it putting it if there were an ‘heir to the throne’ it would be Benarous 

What.... You mean just because they come from the same island they're not as good as each other? 

I suspect he may dissappear off the radar just like the two young Irish lads we signed a few years ago 

On a serious note, I believe this was shared at the time, but may be of interest in light of the thread 

https://guernseypress.com/sport/2023/03/14/everyone-has-different-journeys-and-travels-at-different-speeds---acey-enjoying-life-at-bristol-city/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/08/2023 at 08:26, Port Red said:

One of the most interesting aspects to Scott as a player was his openness about how regaining confidence in non-league football with Guernsey was something he felt to be better for his career than if he would've played things out in the Bournemouth academy system. I admit to  having watched Acey only once or twice, but if the general view is he is stagnating in our youth sides, why not loan him back to a lower level to regain some confidence. Having years in the non-league game as opposed to the academy regime has proven fruitful for so many. Mehmeti is a good example within our squad, and Ollie Watkins may be another, with his spell at WSM. I'm not experienced in the field myself, but if I were Tinnion I would consider shaking things up with Acey - and any other struggling academy boys. Einstein's definition of insanity comes to mind for players like him, a change of scene may be all he needs to grow as a player. Though, admittedly, Tinnion and Einstein may not always be on the same wavelength, it would be nice for some outside the box thinking in the setup.

6 hours ago, RedNachos said:

One of the most interesting aspects to Scott as a player was his openness about how regaining confidence in non-league football with Guernsey was something he felt to be better for his career than if he would've played things out in the Bournemouth academy system. I admit to  having watched Acey only once or twice, but if the general view is he is stagnating in our youth sides, why not loan him back to a lower level to regain some confidence. Having years in the non-league game as opposed to the academy regime has proven fruitful for so many. Mehmeti is a good example within our squad, and Ollie Watkins may be another, with his spell at WSM. I'm not experienced in the field myself, but if I were Tinnion I would consider shaking things up with Acey - and any other struggling academy boys. Einstein's definition of insanity comes to mind for players like him, a change of scene may be all he needs to grow as a player. Though, admittedly, Tinnion and Einstein may not always be on the same wavelength, it would be nice for some outside the box thinking in the setup.

FWIW he had a short term loan back to Guernsey last season.

• Like 1

I grew up with Ben in school, the football really got to his head from an early age. Was not the best person to be around, imo there are better players who have the same technical ability as well as having the physical aspect about their game. Great talent of course, National league at best and definetly needs to come back to GFC to get used to the physicality of mens football.