IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

31 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Yeah forgot about him!! Impossible to get 12 into 11 but then someone’s always going to be unavailable.  With 3-4-2-1 it does mean Sykes can play wing back or cover in the 2 behind Conway 

Also have Mehmetti & Bell to come off the bench along with Sykes. Like you said, you can’t fit them all in the team. 

Good signing (fingers crossed that its a done deal), gives us many options for the team with McCrorie like a new signing as well.

It'll also be interesting to see how quickly Murphy adapts - looking forward to seeing him play.

Twine loves a long shot doesn't he, could do with that in the team.

Edited by bcfc01

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Do you not think Williams is on this sort of sum?

Only player left on a pre pandemic contract, Holden’s marquee signing?

Not disputing your figures because we didn’t lose £22m by paying everyone £8k a week, that’s certain, but I reckon he’s right up there too.

Just for clarity, IIRC Williams was signed mid pandemic as Holden was a pandemic appointment. At the time of him signing grounds had been closed for the back end of the prior season and a lot of restrictions were still in place. I’ve got no idea what he’s on but a sensible CEO (I know, Mark Ashton) would have looked to temper spending at least a degree in view of the already known and high potential for further loss of income.

So maybe not a “pre pandemic” contract but you’d hope a slightly tempered one - which may make the new deal negotiation not as far apart as it may seem at face value

3 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

My god do we need someone who can take set pieces. Naismith was supposed to be that guy. 

He's got to be on the pitch for that.

Our set pieces have been woeful for years.

If it's a cross it doesn't beat the first man.

If it's a shot it troubles the crowd more than the keeper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Twine has been playing out of position at Burnley and Hull. Both have played him out wide when he isn't a wide player. He's a Number 10, and would take up Knight's role. Knight would go back into his normal position in CM.

He would be a valuable signing. Scores goals from long distance, dangerous from set pieces, and opening up defences with through balls. Much more suited to our system as a Number 10 than Knight is.

I think Twine is better than those three players for starters 😂

⬆️⬆️⬆️ and at MK Dons, as per my post yesterday, played between left wing and centre forward.  The last time he played consistently central was Newport.

Ive no idea where he is gonna play for us.  Bearing in mind how Manning played him at MKD, it’s Mehmeti at threat, but we will have to wait and see how he plays him here.  

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

The thing is, while we've been going through our period of austerity for the last 2 years, some on here (presume the one's who don't want SL to sell up) have been saying "nobody was moaning when we were signing players"

Well, now people are urging caution. Of course we all love a new signing, and god knows we need a few, but that doesn't mean we want to see us have our pants pulled down and end up back in a financial mess. IF, and it's a big if, we spent £5M on this kid, it would smack of the 'board' ignoring the last couple of years, just to reinforce their faith in Manning. They can do that without getting mugged off.

Which isn’t true, some of us were moaning, and rightly so.

This time we don’t appear to spending £26m vs £21m transfer profit.  We appear to be spending considerably less.

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

So it was 2.5 as Nixon originally reported at the end of December.

I think you’re missing the point between what Burnley might want and what someone might be prepared to pay.  Monty Python’s haggle sketch needs a watch! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

It’s all guesswork though isn’t it? Nobody knows what he’s earning. We don’t know our wage structure, but if we want a player good enough to string our attack together and get us into the playoffs that’s how much we’ll have to pay. 

Did I say we’re not paying a loan fee? I said it would more than likely to be taken into account in the buy option e.g when put with the buy option it comes to the value of the player. We’ve done the same with TGH by all accounts.

There might be one person on here that knows! 👀. I doubt they will come forward with the detail though!

56 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The reality is that we all knew that the spending restrictions imposed on Pearson were slightly artificial and I think it's obvious that the subtext was about the extent to which we were willing to provide additional funds to a manager with one year on his contract with no plans to extend.

The communication to Pearson and the fans was undoubtedly poor and it seems likely to me that Phil Alexander did not manage to convey a consistent line on what the budget was and why, which would explain why Pearson appeared to be unclear on the budget available. But ultimately, my anger in terms of Pearson's dismissal is more around the way the club created a culture of uncertainty around his future for several weeks, along with the level of nonsense spouted about being a top six side, fitness etc. in the wake of his dismissal.

I don't have a massive problem with the club not backing a manager they did not want in the long-term (save for the fact that I think recruitment should be consistent and a change of manager should not have a huge impact on the type of players brought in) and I'm not going to complain about the club spending money now, especially if we have got a player for half the fee we were being quoted. I'd rather the club stuck to a consistent wage structure but I don't plan to complain about the fact we aren't without knowing whether we are or aren't.

I've got frustrations with Tinnion, the board etc. but I'm not going to suddenly complain if they turn round and make a pragmatic investment in a high potential player who appears to be a type of player we are currently lacking.  

Doesn’t excuse them, just confirms the petty nature!

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just for clarity, IIRC Williams was signed mid pandemic as Holden was a pandemic appointment. At the time of him signing grounds had been closed for the back end of the prior season and a lot of restrictions were still in place. I’ve got no idea what he’s on but a sensible CEO (I know, Mark Ashton) would have looked to temper spending at least a degree in view of the already known and high potential for further loss of income.

So maybe not a “pre pandemic” contract but you’d hope a slightly tempered one - which may make the new deal negotiation not as far apart as it may seem at face value

Nah, football was still pretending that everything would be fine in August 2020.  I suspect Joe is in the top bracket of earners.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Nah, football was still pretending that everything would be fine in August 2020.  I suspect Joe is in the top bracket of earners.

To be fair, wonderful human that he was, I’ve tried my damndest to forget as much of the Holden era as I can so you may be right. I’d be pretty sure he’s in the upper quarter of earners but it might be that he’s on say 10-15% less than he would have been had we signed him pre pandemic.

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A front 4 of Sykes, Twine, Mehmeti and Conway excites me, although I can’t see Knight being dropped back into a 2. Has he previously been played in such a system before? 

Knight has played as a conventional midfielder plenty before.  Him and TGH were good at Cardiff this season.

Edited by Davefevs

14 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

He's got to be on the pitch for that.

Our set pieces have been woeful for years.

If it's a cross it doesn't beat the first man.

If it's a shot it troubles the crowd more than the keeper.

Yep. Even when he's fit, his set pieces are nowt to be excited about. It's a real problem though. We're not blessed with creative type midfielders who can unlock defences. Set Pieces should offer a decent alternative, but we waste ours. We're also quite a short team which doesn't help. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Knight has played as a conventional midfielder plenty before.  Him and TGH were good at Cardiff this season.

Thought Knight played well that game Gardner-Hickman struggled imo. Felt like he needed a Williams/James next to him unfortunately both were absent 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Because the sums still wouldn’t add up, losing one player on say £13k a week for six months wouldn’t fund a replacement & justify an outlay of £2.5m in isolation.

Not saying it doesn’t make sense (it does) but it wouldn’t be a game changer after we were told all the budget had gone after loaning in TGH.

How ah an earth can anyone even comment with out knowing how these deals are structured how things are offset or with out seeing the books ? We don't know if it's affordable or not it's obvious they lied to us and didn't want to back pearson if people haven't worked this out yet then more fool them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yes you’re right but as the risk of straying into politics I don’t think football genuinely expected the pandemic to last as long & decimate finances in the way it subsequently did.

My hunch therefore (I’m clearly not Joe Williams’ agent) is he & Chris Martin who we signed at a similar time, were on top wages for us in the Ashton wra.

Not Kalas or Wells ones (then) but right up there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

He is not a Prem player, Prem wages, but not a Prem player. 

Fills a void for sure, a type of player we need. But we are signing him after the horse has bolted and overpaying for that too. With money that was not available a few weeks ago. Signing players from Prem clubs  for notable fees and wages that have not made it as Prem players is a road we have gone down and just spent 3 years recovering from. As a principle, we have learnt nothing. But there is no shock there, as the club continually lies, and invents new approaches on a 2/3 yearly cycle. 

As a player, Twine will improve us in certain areas, and at least provide a different option.  He did OK for Hull and is up to speed fitness-wise so can contribute from day 1.

No excuses now for not getting promotion. 

Its effing top 6..... Not promotion..... 

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, wonderful human that he was, I’ve tried my damndest to forget as much of the Holden era as I can so you may be right. I’d be pretty sure he’s in the upper quarter of earners but it might be that he’s on say 10-15% less than he would have been had we signed him pre pandemic.

Yeah, a £20k pw Ashton signing done for £16-18k pw 😉😉😉

1 minute ago, archie andrews said:

Its effing top 6..... Not promotion..... 

for correctness Gavin Marshall specifically said promotion.

None of us believed it, but it was said, and therefore posters will quote it!

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

There are so many posts on here obsessing about the transfer fee and salary.

Why can we just let the club deal with all that financial stuff and just be grateful that we are actually getting a decent player on board.

Because it’s a forum.

Just now, Top Robin said:

There are so many posts on here obsessing about the transfer fee and salary.

Why can we just let the club deal with all that financial stuff and just be grateful that we are actually getting a decent player on board.

Because…

- We’ve just come through a period where we had to jettison a lot of high earners because we spent like a sailor on shore leave

- We’ve been told (and we all know it was false) that there was no money

- The more we spend on Twine the less money there is elsewhere

- The kind of point of a forum is discussing things like this

Other than that, go nuts. You’re totally right.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Vyner is on £18k.  Wow. Fair play to his agent. 

Yep. Remember, the negotiations went on for quite a while in the summer and this was amid interest (confirmed interest) from Prem clubs. 
So if we wanted to keep him we had to pay him. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Do you not think Williams is on this sort of sum?

Only player left on a pre pandemic contract, Holden’s marquee signing?

Not disputing your figures because we didn’t lose £22m by paying everyone £8k a week, that’s certain, but I reckon he’s right up there too.

Agree GC. Yes, Williams will be above average too. And Wells. That lot are our biggest contracts - James, Weimann, Wells, Williams, Naismith, Vyner. With 3 of those off the books in a couple of months. Twines wages won’t be anywhere near breaking the bank 

• Like 3