IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

6 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they are saying you can't post an opinion. It work's both ways. It's just disagreement. It's fine.

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve had to explain free speech on this forum!

if you disagree with something and say so that is free speech! And if you have a discussion or even argument over it that is free speech in action 

The above needs to be pinned somewhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Someone on another thread a few weeks ago mentioned the stadium being one of the best in the Championship. I highlighted at least 7 as good or better....Still waiting a reply.

Which 7 do you think are better?! The internals at AG are definitely up there with the best! Most are just plan concrete. In terms of capacity obviously we are way below some! Also the Atyeo and Dolman could do with replacing for sure

23 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Knot sure when Twine will unravel but assuming (1) he signs on loan and (2) we have an option to buy and (3) at a sensible fee e.g. nowhere near £5m I will be pleased for BCFC to tie this up. 

Let's not tie ourselves up in knots over this one...😉

9 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

I would have said something in the 20s/30s and then probably take 10 (King) at the end of the season but isn't 7 available? If so then that!

He's no. 30 at Hull but Nelson has that

No. 14 when AW goes?

Edited by Claverham_Red
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Forgive my ignorance and reluctance to trawl a 25 page thread, but is the feeling that Twine is "the next one" that we moved onto after Azaz went to Boro?

Twine was wanted long before azaz was (summer 2023) and now a deal is possible again. Manning being here has helped with it whereas we most likely lost out to hull in the summer window

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BS30 City said:

Which 7 do you think are better?! The internals at AG are definitely up there with the best! Most are just plan concrete. In terms of capacity obviously we are way below some! Also the Atyeo and Dolman could do with replacing for sure

The concourses, sports bar, and outside facilities are up there with the best imo.

There are some that look better, more complete, but the location and facilities may not compare to Ashton Gate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Forgive my ignorance and reluctance to trawl a 25 page thread, but is the feeling that Twine is "the next one" that we moved onto after Azaz went to Boro?

My feeling is (no inside information here anymore :( ) that they would have been making inquiries for both and possibly one other (Lewis Bates?). I think Azaz may have been preferable if they were under the impression that Twine was going to be a lot more expensive or that Hull might want to keep him, but they have had to put more effort in to the Twine deal once it became clear that Azaz wasn't coming. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The concourses, sports bar, and outside facilities are up there with the best imo.

There are some that look better, more complete, but the location and facilities may not compare to Ashton Gate.

I thought the concourse etc knocked spots off the London Stadium, presumably they are not really that interested in competing with the other options available over in the Westfield etc. It might be different in the home end of course, I am guessing that the area under the Atyeo isn't much better than it was when we're in it back in the day, so maybe they give the worst bit to the away fans too?

• Like 2

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I thought the concourse etc knocked spots off the London Stadium, presumably they are not really that interested in competing with the other options available over in the Westfield etc. It might be different in the home end of course, I am guessing that the area under the Atyeo isn't much better than it was when we're in it back in the day, so maybe they give the worst bit to the away fans too?

I was in the home end there,,, it was pretty poor!

not as bad as watford away though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

London Stadium concourse is…..functional!  That’s about it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Negan said:

Twine was wanted long before azaz was (summer 2023) and now a deal is possible again. Manning being here has helped with it whereas we most likely lost out to hull in the summer window

As in Manning and Twine worked well at MK and off the back of that Twine will follow Manning wherever he goes (subject to Manning's club being able to afford him).

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  Recruitment has improved in the past 2 years or so.

Yep, compare recruitment before Pearson (and Gould) came in with recruitment since.

Not just financially sensible but a higher success rate imo. It's often said that if you get 50% of signings right you are doing ok. I'd say we have got significantly more than 50% right.

What happened on the pitch was just part of Nigel's positive contribution.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve had to explain free speech on this forum!

if you disagree with something and say so that is free speech! And if you have a discussion or even argument over it that is free speech in action 

The above needs to be pinned somewhere!

Amen 🙏 

To be fair, I haven't covered myself in glory a few times, but I get so frustrated with some posters on here. Opinions are fluid. I have this annoying trait where I can see both sides of the argument and with everything in life, things are rarely black and white. I tend to see a lot of grey and will change my mind if someone comes up with a compelling argument or something changes. The problem with this forum is, you have to fall into a camp. If you talk negatively or positively about anything, but mostly the owners or Pearson, you're immediately labelled a "Pearson hater" or "Lansdown lover" and so on. It's pretty tedious.

• Like 4

Not seen it posted on here, about 2hrs ago Bristol live put up the following comments from LM with regards Twine

“Very close, very close, hopefully by the end of today we’ll have some news,” Manning said. “Again, until it’s signed, sealed, delivered in this industry, as you know, things can change, things can fall through at the last minute and I’m very much on that until it’s 100 per cent. That’s all I can really say.”

Manning, again, didn’t want to confirm anything specifically, but Weimann looks set to be announced as a Baggie over the next 24 hours, with Taylor Gardner-Hickman’s permanent transfer expected in the other direction.

“There’s nothing definite so until I’ve had the green light and everything’s signed and done I don’t want to finalise anything on that aspect but it’s quite possible, quite likely,” Manning said, before being asked of the potential reasons behind the 32-year-old exit. “I’d prefer to talk around it once it’s definite and then give you the reasons and the exact stuff behind it. So it’s probably one to do in the future, if it happens.”

Is it correct that Twine has created the most chances this season? If so do we know how many are from open play and so many from set pieces. Ok putting in great set pieces but we miss a player who can play that final pass to our forwards. 
Steven Gerrard use to make most chances per season at Liverpool but then he took every set piece so the figures were slightly skewed.

29 minutes ago, BS30 City said:

Certainly none of the “new” stadiums, Southampton, Leicester, Cardiff etc, give me AG over these any day

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep, compare recruitment before Pearson (and Gould) came in with recruitment since.

Not just financially sensible but a higher success rate imo. It's often said that if you get 50% of signings right you are doing ok. I'd say we have got significantly more than 50% right.

What happened on the pitch was just part of Nigel's positive contribution.

You know, I heard a slightly odd discussion on the subject of "successful transfers". It was on Guardian Weekly. One of the guys, I think Jonathan Fadugba (sp?) said he'd done a piece of "analysis" on the 25 most expensive PL transfers (football existed before '92, the EFL exists etc), and had determined that "more than 50% of transfers are unsuccessful". He's doing this as part of a Uni of Liverpool MBA.

But. His sole determining metric was "what % of the available minutes did the transferred player play for his new club".

More than 50% of minutes = successful.

Less than 50% of minutes = unsuccessful.

Honestly, to me, this was unbelievably simplistic to the point of being very misleading. I couldn't quite believe that a national podcast, one of the biggest football podcasts in the country, thought this should be put out.

Firstly the sample size is insane. 25. And only the expensive ones. Secondly, using a single metric to determine success is ******* insane. Thirdly, that this was being done as part of an MBA!

To be fair he gets challenged on this by the other guys on there - when Barry Glendenning is challenging you on an academic matter I'd say you need to review your methodology!

Found it. From 46 mins in. https://pca.st/episode/82692288-7bc2-4d81-b222-03b9c8f47cab?t=2757

Sorry everyone, this isn't related to Scott Twine at all, but this has been on my mind for a few days and China's post has given me an excuse to rant.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think that’s fair.  I guess we don’t see home concourses but from what I have seen around the country we are right up there.   And, contrary to a lot of people on here, I will always be grateful we stayed at AG. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

London Stadium concourse is…..functional!  That’s about it!

I'm struggling to think of a worse concourse I've been in. I'm a concourse connoisseur. Palace maybe. 

Very temporary, very cold, small space and a long walk to seats. Wasn't clear where the toilets were either so poor signage too. 

There was one pod in the concourse that half of it sold food and drink and the other half was the male toilets. My mind didn't like that thought.  Oh the toilets were rubbish too. Quite dirty. 

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You know, I heard a slightly odd discussion on the subject of "successful transfers". It was on Guardian Weekly. One of the guys, I think Jonathan Fadugba (sp?) said he'd done a piece of "analysis" on the 25 most expensive PL transfers (football existed before '92, the EFL exists etc), and had determined that "more than 50% of transfers are unsuccessful". He's doing this as part of a Uni of Liverpool MBA.

But. His sole determining metric was "what % of the available minutes did the transferred player play for his new club".

More than 50% of minutes = successful.

Less than 50% of minutes = unsuccessful.

Honestly, to me, this was unbelievably simplistic to the point of being very misleading. I couldn't quite believe that a national podcast, one of the biggest football podcasts in the country, thought this should be put out.

Firstly the sample size is insane. 25. And only the expensive ones. Secondly, using a single metric to determine success is ******* insane. Thirdly, that this was being done as part of an MBA!

To be fair he gets challenged on this by the other guys on there - when Barry Glendenning is challenging you on an academic matter I'd say you need to review your methodology!

Found it. From 46 mins in. https://pca.st/episode/82692288-7bc2-4d81-b222-03b9c8f47cab?t=2757

Sorry everyone, this isn't related to Scott Twine at all, but this has been on my mind for a few days and China's post has given me an excuse to rant.

I listen to the Football Weekly so I heard this and came to the same conclusions. Plus if he is only using the most expensive transfers he will likely be guilty of recency bias.

It may not be realistic to include all transfers over a sufficiently extended period but were I his tutor I'd advise him go away and learn about statistical sampling before starting again!

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1