IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

That's the key for me and why Jon and Brian have to stick their head above the parapet and produce now. No plan and no quality is as bad a combination as it gets in the medium to longer term. Nige and Liam in his short time here have proved you can get results when operating with a generally low Q squad but it only gets you so far and doesn't last long as a principle. Twine has been brought in to add quality - that's accepted.

The next question, and it's only 7 months away, is what quality we will have in the building for NEXT season. Will it be Twine and others or if we don't get Twine and others don't come in before the end of the month then where is the quality we need coming from? The hierarchy really do need to be looking and planning ahead to then because if you keep selling your best players and not bringing quality in there is literally only one outcome. Ask Mick McCarthy and Terry Connor who were always firefighting at Ipswich if you are unsure of what that outcome might look like.

If the current plan is genuinely that Twine can help lift us into a play off spot (a bit ambitious imo but not my call) then go and loan a keeper who is up to the level to keep Max honest and get a promising striker in from someone like Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City (i.e. a Tammy type) on loan too and make it happen.

This is the bigger picture concern for me. Our senior pros in the heart of the midfield are OOC in the summer; James; King; Williams, Weimann.

The core of the team will then be under 24 years old. Who has the experience to drag us up the table? If, and it's a massive IF, they get this recruitment right, they will have done massively well. By the way, i'm not saying that TGH and Knight aren't the quality we need. just that they lack experience. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And….??

We can do 100 pages on someone who never arrives here at all! Twice! 

Edit: sorry @bcfc01 - just seen your post as I was composing!!

Fair point. But at least most of that was about the actual player.

This thread is a whole different thing.

But hey, maybe i should stop reading, not comment, and leave everyone else to it. So yeah fair point.

44 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Still cracks me up that they go around introducing themselves to each other:

Naismith “hi Scott, I’m Kal”

Twine “hi Kal” followed by manly hug and handshake 

Tanner “hi Scott, I’m George”

Twine “I know who you effing are, you were marking me the other week and kicked lumps out of me”

• Haha 5
  • Flames 1

• Admin
22 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

This is the bigger picture concern for me. Our senior pros in the heart of the midfield are OOC in the summer; James; King; Williams, Weimann.

One of those has already left and I would expect at least two others to go in the summer

On the plus side we'll have freed up plenty of money 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

The core of the team will then be under 24 years old. Who has the experience to drag us up the table? If, and it's a massive IF, they get this recruitment right, they will have done massively well. By the way, i'm not saying that TGH and Knight aren't the quality we need. just that they lack experience. 

Seems mad that Williams is out of contract, feels like we’re only just getting the best of him and he could walk for free - especially as he came in with a bit of hype 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Seems mad that Williams is out of contract, feels like we’re only just getting the best of him and he could walk for free - especially as he came in with a bit of hype 

We're definitely seeing the best of him now, that's so true.

An interviewer asked him about his contract position recently - it might have been a Radio Bristol one in a pre match presser - and I think he said he's happy to concentrate on his football and talk about ia contract later.

I got the impression that nothing had been offered yet, but he was confident he'd be okay whatever happened.

Hope he has the game of his life tonight 😀

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To get him in the team we have to drop one of Bell, Mehmeti or TGH. Players that you would consider to be projects.

A contingency plan without having an option? How does that even work? 

If ST is a success here and I hope that he is, its a double edged sword as him performing well for us will mean to buy him will cost more.  

Personally it seems like a good idea to me..............Projects?   Neither TGH OR Mehmeti came from the academy, they were both purchased.  I don't want to see Bell's opportunities blocked, but he is not exactly flyimg at the moment, but he is young and will hopefully come good again.  Competition for places is what drives a club and individual players forward......if your good enough you will retain your place, if your complacent you won't, cannot see any problem with that? 

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

To get him in the team we have to drop one of Bell, Mehmeti or TGH. Players that you would consider to be projects.

A contingency plan without having an option? How does that even work? 

If ST is a success here and I hope that he is, it’s a double edged sword as him performing well for us will mean to buy him will cost more.  

If we’re going to do well in this league we need a good squad, and if having to pick two of Bell, Mehmeti and Sykes plus three of Knight, TGH, James and Williams is part of that I’m not seeing the problem?

On 16/01/2024 at 11:50, W-S-M Seagull said:

What's embarrassing is moaning on a forum about people sharing their opinions, on a forum. 

Sharing opinions is fine regurgitation of the same old anti club bile because they didn't like change is woeful really, talking about grudges and not willing to embrace new is very much a thing on OTIB, Johnathon Pierce nailed it last night in commentary referencing how Pulis was booed after being presented to the crowd at the end of a 5-1 winning start. He was referencing the reaction to Manning's appointment from many of our insightful and know best fans.

He was superb with his knowledge of our history, top man.

5 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

He was referencing the reaction to Manning's appointment from many of our insightful and know best fans.

I thought pretty much everyone was generally positive about LM’s  appointment.  Did I misread the mood?

(not to be confused with many people’s thoughts on sacking Nige, very separate debate)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought pretty much everyone was generally positive about LM’s  appointment.  Did I misread the mood?

(not to be confused with many people’s thoughts on sacking Nige, very separate debate)

He in fact stated there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the appointment amongst the fans, hence the Pulis reference.

Very much a energetic display last might but  as yet a lack of control in the game, passing was sloppy and Tommy was busy but ineffective apart from the goal. Wells is quality still but fading, Cornick is Cornick a hod carrier. James Wilson McCorie Pring Dickie all tough as hell, Anis can go imo and Sykes is the man.

27 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Sharing opinions is fine regurgitation of the same old anti club bile because they didn't like change is woeful really, talking about grudges and not willing to embrace new is very much a thing on OTIB, Johnathon Pierce nailed it last night in commentary referencing how Pulis was booed after being presented to the crowd at the end of a 5-1 winning start. He was referencing the reaction to Manning's appointment from many of our insightful and know best fans.

He was superb with his knowledge of our history, top man.

Except (and god love Jonathan Pearce) we never beat Blackpool 5-1 under Pulis. We beat them 5-2 and it was the fifth game of the season so there was no reason he was going to be presented to the crowd as he’d been in situ for a while (and you wouldn’t present a new manager at the end of a game anyway?)

Pulis’s first game in charge as many will remember was the “Lavin” game at Reading.

Under TP we won 6 of 25 games, and had an 11 game run without a win. He was definitely booed during that period. We scored 4 in 10 games which probably caused it - I remember leaving a game after 30 minutes as the football was so bad.

In short the story JP references didn’t happen. Pulis has conflated the Blackpool game with the booing afterwards as his awful football took hold - the lesson here is don’t listen to a man who gets sacked for gross misconduct.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

He in fact stated there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the appointment amongst the fans, hence the Pulis reference.

Very much a energetic display last might but  as yet a lack of control in the game, passing was sloppy and Tommy was busy but ineffective apart from the goal. Wells is quality still but fading, Cornick is Cornick a hod carrier. James Wilson McCorie Pring Dickie all tough as hell, Anis can go imo and Sykes is the man.

The overwhelming body of dissatisfaction was around the way Nige was fired and the way the club explained it not the fact Liam Manning is the manager. If Pearce interpreted it wrong that’s on him. The people who “won’t have” Manning under any circumstances are a small minority BUT are entitled to that opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I thought Anis was one our few ball carriers last night but there you go.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I thought Anis was one our few ball carriers last night but there you go.

He was.

But it's completely irrelevant if it ends up with him being dispossessed or passing to an opponent.

Which is what happens 9 times out of 10.

Nowhere near enough end product, goal threat or assists.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He was.

But it's completely irrelevant if it ends up with him being dispossessed or passing to an opponent.

In normal league game circumstances I completely agree with you, he has to up his end product to get to the next level. Last night on a one off basis we needed those "breaks", first half particularly when West Ham had a lot of the ball at times and we couldn't pass it out, regardless of the end product. It wasn't irrelevant, it gave us a breather in that half. The only other ball carrier last night was Knight and he impacted the game in a very positive way. Knight and Mehmeti are the only two players in our side whose FIRST thought is to carry the ball FORWARD. Knight is ahead of Mehmeti in the quality stakes, certainly on delivering consistently.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He was.

No, he has to keep trying it, the one out of ten is the important one, and will become 1 in 8 - 1-6 - 1-4 with experience and confidence. His is no more inconsistent than any winger we have had, despite what people's memories tell them.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Except (and god love Jonathan Pearce) we never beat Blackpool 5-1 under Pulis. We beat them 5-2 and it was the fifth game of the season so there was no reason he was going to be presented to the crowd as he’d been in situ for a while (and you wouldn’t present a new manager at the end of a game anyway?)

Pulis’s first game in charge as many will remember was the “Lavin” game at Reading.

Under TP we won 6 of 25 games, and had an 11 game run without a win. He was definitely booed during that period. We scored 4 in 10 games which probably caused it - I remember leaving a game after 30 minutes as the football was so bad.

In short the story JP references didn’t happen. Pulis has conflated the Blackpool game with the booing afterwards as his awful football took hold - the lesson here is don’t listen to a man who gets sacked for gross misconduct.

Even shorter version.

Welsh, long ball gashead = effing abysmal appointment.

• Like 2